Sitka Fishing Questions

sue1898

I would like to surprise my husband on our early July cruise with a fishing trip. Sitka is the only port that I don't already have excursions planned. I want a trip where he will actually do the fishing, not just the reeling in! Does anyone have experience with a charter group in Sitka? We are in port from 8-5 and it's July 4th if that makes a difference. Thanks for any info.

There's a good-sized commercial fleet based out of Sitka, and sport fishing is also good. Charters are also on average cheaper than in Juneau or Ketchikan. There are a lot of charter companies, but I don't really know if one is better than another. You can find a listing at

http://www.sitka.org/grid.html. Check their websites, and narrow it down to a few, then call. Ask about how much time spent in transit vs. actual fishing, boat size, number of fishers per boat, if they process/mail your catch for you, etc.

We went with Capt Cheston at Sitka Charters last June, and did very well with King salmon, halibut, and Lingcod. I no longer have their contact information, but the general link in the earlier post should show their information. His boat was new and fast, and the rates quite reasonable.

Archived