Anyone cruise on both the Dream and the Liberty?

cruisemom28

Help! I am trying to decide between the two. I know the Dream is a newer ship but I am not too fond of the Western Itinerary. We are looking to travel the week of 5/13. I read really good reviews on the Liberty. We are traveling with a 2 and 6 year old. This is our 8th cruise.

Any advice on which to choose would be appreciated.

I liked both ships. The Liberty's 2.0 enhancements are mostly "adult" type stuff, like bars, etc. The kids might like the burgers and mexican, though. The Dream has Waterworks, which we had a blast on - but your kids might be too small for the larger slides - especially the 2 year old. (same for the Liberty water slide) I'd go by itinerary/price, truthfully.

I've cruised on the Dream and we're currently booked to sail on the Liberty.

We really liked the Dream and I think it would be a great cruise with kids. They have the Waterworks area, which looks like a lot of fun. I wouldn't consider the itinerary terribly kid friendly though.

The Liberty has the new 2.0 upgrades, but like someone else mentioned, they're more adult items. The Eastern itinerary on this ship is great though.

No contest....the Liberty!!!

Dream was too big, too impersonal for my taste. Love the Conquest class ships and the Liberty is my favorite. The Dream was nice to sail on, once, but that's it, we'll never sail on her again.

I've done both and don't think you can go wrong with either. Yes, the Dream is a bit bigger, but I don't think I could really tell a difference to be honest. The Liberty has the new 2.0 upgrades which like a pervious poster posted has more adult type stuff and the Dream has the waterworks which the kids would love.

I also prefer the Western Caribbean over Eastern, but just personal preference....you can't go wrong with either I don't think. Have fun on which ever you decide!

I personally don't see why everyone is so excited about "upgrades" If one hasn't sailed Liberty, they would have no clue! I thought Lido was very unattractive with all those steel rails for stadium seating.

For me, Dream was just fine. And you don't have to go to Miami!!

We've sailed on the Dream once and on the Liberty twice. I give a slight edge to the Liberty. Although we had a great time on both ships, the Liberty just felt nicer.

I do have to say that we did the Western itinerary AND the Eastern itinerary on the Liberty, and the Eastern cruise was a MUCH better cruise overall. It just felt more relaxed and enjoyable.

We have been on both.. although 3 years apart.

But.. based on the KIDS areas and amenities, I would chose the Dream.

The Camp Carnival Areas are large and SO convenient above the Lido Deck restaurants.

The Waterworks area for little kids is fantastic as well.

I do not think you can go wrong with either one... as we are heading to the Liberty for the second time in November!

Catrin

We have been on both.. although 3 years apart.

But.. based on the KIDS areas and amenities, I would chose the Dream.

The Camp Carnival Areas are large and SO convenient above the Lido Deck restaurants.

The Waterworks area for little kids is fantastic as well.

I do not think you can go wrong with either one... as we are heading to the Liberty for the second time in November!

Catrin

Thanks Catrin! Read your review and LOVED it!!!

Would love more input on this. I rather go on the Liberty with wife and the 2 kids but the wife rather go on the Dream. Price difference is only $300 for the whole thing booked and both Liberty and Dream have the same Itinerary. What are thoughts on this?

Would love more input on this. I rather go on the Liberty with wife and the 2 kids but the wife rather go on the Dream. Price difference is only $300 for the whole thing booked and both Liberty and Dream have the same Itinerary. What are thoughts on this?

It's up to the wife:D Besides, you can drive to Dream.

Our family has done both ships.

The Dream was great. A bit over crowded....like 40 minute lines for breakfast buffetts.....had to get to shows and comedy clubs 30-40 min early to get a place to sit......The Lani was awesome, added a ton of hot tubs if you are into those..our family is.

Liberty was awesome. 2.0 upgrades are top notch especially Guy's burger joint. Loved the ship, Loved the service, can't go wrong with Liberty.

I would say Liberty is my favorite of the two, but we just booked the Dream again, so it isn't a bad ship..

Thanks so much everyone!!! We booked the Dream earlier this week. The "extras" for the kids sold us. :)

Have a blast and glad you enjoyed the review!

Fresh off the Liberty and I would choose it over the Dream! We sailed the Dream, our son actually got married on the Dream before we left port. I loved most everything about the Dream, but much prefer the smaller size of the Liberty.

With that said, my grandkids loved Camp Carnival on the Dream and I did not have them with me on the Liberty.

What sold me on the Dream are the offering for kids. If my kids where older I would have gone with the Liberty but they are only 6 and 2. The Camp Carnival facility on the Dream is huge and (from the photos) seems to have new computers. The Waterworks kiddie area is also a huge plus.

Not sure if you are planning the Western Carib itinerary but one of the things I liked about the Liberty is that it stops in Grand Cayman not Costa Maya. I've been to Costa Maya. It is beautiful but very under-developed. Plus many have mentioned that there are men with machine guns at the port (probably due to the recent attacks on tourists in Mexico). I'm sure we will be fine but I'm not so excited about the itinerary. I did not choose the Eastern itinerary because I only do 7 day cruises with 4 or more port stops.

I've cruised on both. Going on the Liberty for the 3RD TIME tomorrow. First time on it since the 2.0 renovations. The dream was nice. I had a great time while on it. Buuuuuuttttt, I've also had a great time on the Liberty (as you can tell since this is about to be my third time on it). Whichever ship you go on, you will be happy. But if you want to try a ship that offers things that not all of the other carnival ships already offer, I'd go with the Liberty (Guy's Burgers,The rum and tequila bars, taco/burrito place and the new EA sports bar)

I've cruised on both. Going on the Liberty for the 3RD TIME tomorrow. First time on it since the 2.0 renovations. The dream was nice. I had a great time while on it. Buuuuuuttttt, I've also had a great time on the Liberty (as you can tell since this is about to be my third time on it). Whichever ship you go on, you will be happy. But if you want to try a ship that offers things that not all of the other carnival ships already offer, I'd go with the Liberty (Guy's Burgers,The rum and tequila bars, taco/burrito place and the new EA sports bar)

You are going to have a great cruise. We loved her in Dec.! Enjoy.:)

Archived