Anchorage Hotel Location?

tonyt

We are getting into the Anchorage airport about 8PM. Plan on spending the first and second nights in Anchorage with sight seeing in Anchorage on the second day. Then renting a car on the third day and driving to Denali for 2 nights. After Denali, will drive back to Anchorage and spend the night there before taking the train to Whittier the next morning to get the ship. Am I better off getting a hotel near the airport or downtown? I'm thinking it is easier/cheaper to get a car at the airport than it is to get one downtown.

We are renting at the airport, and staying at a hotel with free shuttle, so when we return car, we can get picked up. They also shuttle to the RR station. If you are staying in a hotel with shuttle service, I say go where the deal is.

Ok, Anchorage is not a huge city. It is about a 15 -20 minute drive from far downtown to the airport.

Second, there are only a few hotels near the airport. There are a number of hotels in midtown (I cal it "hotel row) and a few more hotels downtown.

All of the better hotels have airport shuttles. Do you have a favorite hotel chain? Can you name the top 5 hotel chains? Because they are all here.

Mid town might be your best bet as it will be central. Again, I can drive across town at rush hour in 1/2 an hour. So, it is no big deal as to where you want to stay.

We are getting into the Anchorage airport about 8PM. Plan on spending the first and second nights in Anchorage with sight seeing in Anchorage on the second day. Then renting a car on the third day and driving to Denali for 2 nights. After Denali, will drive back to Anchorage and spend the night there before taking the train to Whittier the next morning to get the ship. Am I better off getting a hotel near the airport or downtown? I'm thinking it is easier/cheaper to get a car at the airport than it is to get one downtown.

It is easier to get a car at the airport. It can be significantly cheaper to rent downtown. I am saving about $200 on a one-way rental by doing it downtown. The car fare from the airport to downtown will be much less than $200. The only potential problem is that the downtown office closes at 5:00 PM. Not sure when it opens.

DON

It is easier to get a car at the airport. It can be significantly cheaper to rent downtown. I am saving about $200 on a one-way rental by doing it downtown. The car fare from the airport to downtown will be much less than $200. The only potential problem is that the downtown office closes at 5:00 PM. Not sure when it opens.

DON

Check rates both at the airport and in town. Sometimes it is in fact cheaper to rent at the airport, especially if booking this late for this coming summer.

As far as hotel areas, keep in mind that Anchorage is really spread out, unzoned, and you'll be at a disadvantage without a car. The hotels near the airport (Spenard Road and International Airport Road areas) don't have any real attractions within walking distance, and it's about a $25 cab fare from them to downtown, where most of the attractions are located.

I'd recommend deciding what you want to do those first few days in Anchorage, and then picking a part of town to stay in which makes sense for seeing them.

Archived