Internet charges

bandgbasset

Can anyone tell me how the Internet charges work? Do you get bonus minutes for signing up ahead of time like princess?

Also how do you purchase a package? Just cruised on princess but dont know how it works on hal

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

Right now, it costs $3.95 to set up an account. Then, you pay for minutes used.

It costs $0.75 if you pay by the minute. Or, you can purchase a package.

A package of 100 minutes costs $55, or $0.55 per minute.

A package of 250 minutes costs $100, or %0.40 per minute.

If you purchase a package on the first day you will receive 10 or 20 bonus minutes, the larger amount for the larger package.

Sometimes late in the cruise there will be 15 and 30 minute packages sold at the same per minute rates.

You can sign up by going to the Internet Center, sit down at a computer, then follow the instructions on the screen. If you have your own computer, the instructions will appear when you connect to the ship's system.

I like to go when the Internet Manager is on duty, just in case there's a problem. For example, sometimes the passenger data base hasn't been uploaded yet, and you can't sign on. It's nice to be told, rather than keep flubbing away.

It's really all very easy. Expensive, but easy.

I was on the Noordam recently and found connection extremely poor in staterooms. i bought the 100 minute pkg., but lost connection over and over and ended up getting about 25 minutes of usage. Not a good deal compared to other cruise lines.

thank you for your responses. was wondering if you could buy a package before like on princess or just buy it when you get on the ship. service was pretty shoddy on princess, but i'm an early riser and never had any trouble getting on at 5:00 a.m.:D

i know the packages are expensive, but it's just a splurge i like when i'm cruising.

this is my second hal cruise, first one was in 1994 on a rotterdam ship from hawaii to san diego. this time we're taking the 14 day scotland and norway cruise in june. cannot wait.

again, thank you for all your prompt responses.

gerry

thank you for your responses. was wondering if you could buy a package before like on princess or just buy it when you get on the ship.

I don't see how you could purchase the plan in advance, as you have to purchase after the passenger manifest has been uploaded. That isn't done until embarkation day---sometimes not until late afternoon. :eek:

Thanks Ruth for all your good imput. I understand they are trying a new internet package out on the Eurodam. Much better rate but again alot of complaining how slow the system is.

That's why I started my reply with "Right now". I knew about the test, but didn't want to get into all that. It may, or may not, spread to the other ships. If it does spread, it may not be in the current form.

Time will tell.

Can anyone tell me how the Internet charges work? Do you get bonus minutes for signing up ahead of time like princess?

Also how do you purchase a package? Just cruised on princess but dont know how it works on hal

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

Prices as per Ruth's post. My experience though has been they occasionally offer a bonus at some point in the cruise, usually a 2 for 1, for a limited time. (ie 30 minutes for cost of 15).

I was very fortunate in that we had an internet "node" right outside our cabin last month on the Zuiderdam cabin 5024 and got reasonably strong signals. I usually sent emails just before bed so usually around midnight or first thing in morning - definitely faster then. I also took the advice i found on this forum and set up a hotmail account that only family and friends had info on. So no worrying about massive downloads when opening my email. Just make SURE you are disconnected when done - especially if working on ipad like I was.

Archived