Terravision airport Bus FCO to Rome

RTLS

This looks like a really good alternative to the train as an inexpensive yet efficient way of getting into Rome from the airport.

I checked the website and saw that the routing is Fiumicino Town, then the airport and then Termini.

We plan on staying somewhere close to the airport for our first night as we arrive at FCO around 11pm and then heading into Termini and onwards to the port the following day so the option of leaving from Fiumiciono Town rather than going back to the airport might work well for us.

The address from which the bus leaves, according to their website, is Piazza Alcide de Gasperi but I can't find it anywhere on my map and I can't bring it up when I try for directions on Google maps.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has done this and knows where to pick up the bus in town and also whether any of the hotels listed as airport hotels but not right on the airport property are close by.

I realise this is quite a new service but I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me out.

This looks like a really good alternative to the train as an inexpensive yet efficient way of getting into Rome from the airport.

I checked the website and saw that the routing is Fiumicino Town, then the airport and then Termini.

We plan on staying somewhere close to the airport for our first night as we arrive at FCO around 11pm and then heading into Termini and onwards to the port the following day so the option of leaving from Fiumiciono Town rather than going back to the airport might work well for us.

The address from which the bus leaves, according to their website, is Piazza Alcide de Gasperi but I can't find it anywhere on my map and I can't bring it up when I try for directions on Google maps.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has done this and knows where to pick up the bus in town and also whether any of the hotels listed as airport hotels but not right on the airport property are close by.

I realise this is quite a new service but I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me out.

So are you arriving the day before your cruise? I'm in somewhat the same boat, although we arrive at 1:30 in the afternoon. I was thinking that I would stay at a hotel near Termini that night and head off to the cruise port after breakfast the next day. I'm not sure how much time we will have on the day of sailing to do any sightseeing. From all I've read, it can take about 70 minutes by train to get to the cruise port. I will be watching this thread in hopes that someone can give an economical route FCO/hotel/cruise port.

Yes we are arriving the day before our cruise but not until 11pm and we don't want to go right into Rome at that time of night by public transportation which is why we have decided to stay out by the airport for that one night. As you are arriving during tjhe day you have a couple of options of getting into Rome.

The most economilcal would seem to be the Terravision Bus. Check their websit for details - it's 6Euro per person and goes to Termini. You could then take a cab to your hotel depending how far away it is from Termini. The following day. you can take a train from Termini to the port.

Right now Terravision is running a sale and I purchased our bus tickets on line for 4E pp from FCO to Termini. We will also be taking a taxi from there to our hotel in the Monti district. This appears to be a very inexpensive, convenient way to travel. Terravision was approx $10 for two of us.

It departs from Terminal 3 at FCO, makes one other stop and then directly to the center of Rome. Even though we are not traveling until May 31st, I got the tickets now because they were so cheap.

I would stay at the airport and then take the train to Termini the following morning. The Hilton-both Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn often have special rates that may or may not be on the Hilton website. I believe that Hilton has a guest shuttle to Rome so you may in fact be able to grab that gratis in the morning.

Keep in mind that there are two trains from FCO to Termini. The Leonardo express is double the price of the stopping train. If you want to go directly to Civitavecchia then I would actually take the stopping train and change to the Civitavechhia train at another station other than Termini. Less crowded. That would depend of course on how much luggage you had and whether you have a problem walking up stairs with it as the elevators at some of those other interchange stations are sometimes broken. You can buy your tickets-either to Termini or directly to Civit. from the ticket booth in front of the rail lines.

Yes we are arriving the day before our cruise but not until 11pm and we don't want to go right into Rome at that time of night by public transportation which is why we have decided to stay out by the airport for that one night.

I'm not sure this is going to be as economical as you may think, once you add up the costs. Hotels don't run free shuttle buses back and forth to the airport the way they do in the States, so you'll have an after hours cab fare which, even for a hotel right in Fiumicino, will run 15 - 20 Euro.

If you are concerned about safety, you could take a cab directly from the airport at any hour into Rome, for a fixed fare of 40 Euro (some have reported that there is a slightly higher fee after hours, although this is not mentioned on the city's web site where the fixed fare is discussed).

The time and aggravation of checking in and out of two hotels in two days should also be considered, as well as the expense.

Edited by euro cruiser

I'm not sure this is going to be as economical as you may think, once you add up the costs. Hotels don't run free shuttle buses back and forth to the airport the way they do in the States, so you'll have an after hours cab fare which, even for a hotel right in Fiumicino, will run 15 - 20 Euro.

If you are concerned about safety, you could take a cab directly from the airport at any hour into Rome, for a fixed fare of 40 Euro (some have reported that there is a slightly higher fee after hours, although this is not mentioned on the city's web site where the fixed fare is discussed).

The time and aggravation of checking in and out of two hotels in two days should also be considered, as well as the expense.

Hi Euro cruiser,

Your advice about taking a cab into Rome is one that we will consider. Thanks.

We won't be checking in and out of 2 hotels in 2 days however as we will be heading directly to the port on the second day. We don't plan on spending any sightseeing time in Rome as we were there for several days a few years ago.

We won't be checking in and out of 2 hotels in 2 days however as we will be heading directly to the port on the second day. We don't plan on spending any sightseeing time in Rome as we were there for several days a few years ago.

Ah, different story then. In that case, if you are planning to take the train to Civitavecchia the next day, I'd look for a hotel near one of the train stations. Roma Trastevere or Roma Ostiense are on the regional line to Civitavecchia, as is Termini.

I stayed at a hotel two blocks from Termini a couple of weeks ago. We walked around the neighborhood around 11 PM (coming back from dinner) and again at 4:30 AM (heading to the Terravision bus to go to the airport) and I didn't feel uncomfotable at either time. There are three or four hotels right on the block where the bus drops off/picks up that would require virtually no walk at all.

The Terravision stop is only steps from an entrance to the station; if you choose a hotel that's not right at the train station you can walk into the station and go out the front dooor, where there are cabs waiting pretty much 24/7.

Since going into Rome isn't a priority for you, I'd also do as Iancal suggested and look into the rates for the Hilton properties. The rates may be slightly higher than some of the more budget friendly downtown hotels, but you also need to factor in avoiding the cost of getting into Rome, as well as the time and effort required when you are coming off a long day of travel.

I just re-read my own response above, I was really all over the map!

I just checked something else I remembered; there is a Holiday Inn near the airport that is also near a train station on the regional line. According to their web site (here: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/rome/romdm/hoteldetail), they offer shuttle service to/from the airport for only Euro 2,50. They also offer this service to take you to the local train station (Muratella), which is only 4/10ths of a mile away. This might be the best of both worlds for you; an easy and inexpensive ride from the airport upon arrival, and an easy departure from there to Civitavecchia the next day. If the weather is good, you can spend the morning by the pool!

Edited by euro cruiser

I just re-read my own response above, I was really all over the map!

I just checked something else I remembered; there is a Holiday Inn near the airport that is also near a train station on the regional line. According to their web site (here: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/rome/romdm/hoteldetail), they offer shuttle service to/from the airport for only Euro 2,50. They also offer this service to take you to the local train station (Muratella), which is only 4/10ths of a mile away. This might be the best of both worlds for you; an easy and inexpensive ride from the airport upon arrival, and an easy departure from there to Civitavecchia the next day. If the weather is good, you can spend the morning by the pool!

Thanks so much euro cruiser.

the Holiday Inn looks like an excellent idea. I'll be checking with them to confirm the shuttle situation. I'm wondering whether it would be running as late as our arrival. If not, I'll need to find out how much a taxi will be. I'm a little unclear as to the trip from the local station - Muratella- to Civitavecchia. Are you saying that there is a station along the line that allows us to transfer to the train to Civitavecchia.?

I'm feeling a bit dumb here and really appreciate your help. Last time we came to Rome, we immediately went to Sorrento where we stayed for a week and then made our way back to Rome. We took a taxi out to the airport!

Would you mind sharing with me the name of the hotel you stayed at a couple of weeks ago. Also I'm wondering if you know the names of any of the hotels in the same block as the bus drops off. If you prefer, my email is rjlusk@telus.net

Thanks

From Muratella you'd take the train to Rome Trastevere, where you'd change for the train to Civitavecchia. That's the first place where the two lines cross.

The first train is the FR1, the second train is the FR5. You can see them on this map: http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4. There are only two stops between Muratella and Trastevere.

The hotel we stayed in is the Giada (web site here: http://www.hotelgiadaroma.com/). It was clean, felt very safe, and comfortable for us. I should point out, however, that this hotel does not have air conditioning, so it may not be comfortable if your visit is in the middle of the summer.

I don't know if this link will work, but this site shows several hotels along Via Marsala: http://www.ahotelinitaly.com/location-map/town-rome/hotel/google-hotels/. Okay, I just checked and the link works, but you need to zoom in to find the specifics of the street. Look for the train station and zoom in on that.

Edited by euro cruiser

Ah, different story then. In that case, if you are planning to take the train to Civitavecchia the next day, I'd look for a hotel near one of the train stations. Roma Trastevere or Roma Ostiense are on the regional line to Civitavecchia, as is Termini.

I stayed at a hotel two blocks from Termini a couple of weeks ago. We walked around the neighborhood around 11 PM (coming back from dinner) and again at 4:30 AM (heading to the Terravision bus to go to the airport) and I didn't feel uncomfotable at either time. There are three or four hotels right on the block where the bus drops off/picks up that would require virtually no walk at all.

The Terravision stop is only steps from an entrance to the station; if you choose a hotel that's not right at the train station you can walk into the station and go out the front door, where there are cabs waiting pretty much 24/7.

Your advice is right on the spot for me. We have booked a hotel (Windrose) near Termini and were worried about the neighbourhood, but your post was helpful in resting my mind . So do you know if we should take a bus or a train from FCO to Termini? We arrive May 26th mid-day and were planning to go straight to the hotel, drop our bags and, since we might be very tired (jet lag!), we would just take a hop on-hop off bus and see the sights from there. We'll probably have an early night and the next morning make our way to Civitavecchia. I'm hoping there is a train/bus to take us there.

Edited by canadianfam

After experiencing the Terravision bus, I'm sold on that as far preferable to the train from FCO to Termini, especially in a case (like yours) when you are not rushing to connect to another train at Termini.

While there is a way to get to Civitavecchia by bus, it requires changes and isn't particularly straightforward. The train really is the way to go if you are using public transit. You'll have the following options:

• a regional train (no reserved seating, many stops along the way) for Euro 4.50
  • an Intercity (IC) train (reserved seating possible, only one stop between Termini and Civitavecchia) for Euro 9.50 (you can get a slightly lower price by purchasing in advance on the Trenitalia web site)
  • a Frecciabianca high speed train (reserved seating mandatory, non stop Termini to Civitavecchia) for Euro 14.50 (again, lower fares possible by purchasing in advance

After experiencing the Terravision bus, I'm sold on that as far preferable to the train from FCO to Termini, especially in a case (like yours) when you are not rushing to connect to another train at Termini.

While there is a way to get to Civitavecchia by bus, it requires changes and isn't particularly straightforward. The train really is the way to go if you are using public transit. You'll have the following options:

• a regional train (no reserved seating, many stops along the way) for Euro 4.50
  • an Intercity (IC) train (reserved seating possible, only one stop between Termini and Civitavecchia) for Euro 9.50 (you can get a slightly lower price by purchasing in advance on the Trenitalia web site)
  • a Frecciabianca high speed train (reserved seating mandatory, non stop Termini to Civitavecchia) for Euro 14.50 (again, lower fares possible by purchasing in advance

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your information is exactly what I was looking for! :D

I thought our first Med cruise was going to be a bit of a challenge at first, but you've alleviated a lot of my anxiety.

Right now Terravision is running a sale and I purchased our bus tickets on line for 4E pp from FCO to Termini. We will also be taking a taxi from there to our hotel in the Monti district. This appears to be a very inexpensive, convenient way to travel. Terravision was approx $10 for two of us.

It departs from Terminal 3 at FCO, makes one other stop and then directly to the center of Rome. Even though we are not traveling until May 31st, I got the tickets now because they were so cheap.

I was just on the Terravision website to book our bus tickets. (Your advice on the 4 Euro sale was great!) There are 3 of us arriving at FCO on May 26th at 1:30 in the afternoon. I have no idea how long it will take us to get our bags, etc and be outside waiting for the bus. The website asks for date and a TIME before we can purchase our 3 tickets. What did you do regarding committing to a time? If I am longer than anticipated in getting out of the airport, would my tickets be invalid? Do you have any idea about this?

Edited by canadianfam

From the Terravision web site, FAQ page:

If the coach you want to board is full do not worry, another coach will be on its way to collect you. Please remember to be at the stop at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time of the coach to ensure timely boarding.

If you miss your coach or get to the stop late, do not worry, you will be able to board the following coach with your existing ticket and no penalty fare will be applied!

You can read it for yourself here (question #2): http://www.terravision.eu/faq_bus_services.html#02services

We took this bus from our hotel, the Royal Santina which is directly outside the side entrance of the Termini to FCO. The bus is great. Put your luggage in the rack under the bus and climb on board. Much better than tossing the luggage up the stairs on the train.

By the way we recommend the Royal Santina.

Thank you for all of the info about the Terravision bus! About how long should it take from the time our plane lands at FCO until we go through customs, get our bags, and go to the bus stop? Our plane from Chicago is scheduled to land at 9:15 a.m., and the choices for the bus are 10:25 or 11:05. Is 10:25 cutting it too close? If I book the 11:05 and we get through customs quickly, can we board the earlier bus?

Also - approximately how much does a taxi cost from Termini to Campo de' Fiori (Hotel Smeraldo)?

Taxis from the airport into central Rome have a fixed fare of 40 Euro. More information on the city's web site here: http://www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal/pcr?jppagecode=taxi_tar_fisse_aero_eng.wp

Many things can impact how long it takes to clear passport control and get your bags, but in general I'd say it hasn't taken more than an hour (I travel through FCO once or twice a year).

Some of the possible impacts:

• if you are on Alitalia there's a good chance you won't have a gate; frequently they disembark their planes on the tarmac and you take a bus to the terminal building. This extra step can add up to 30 minutes to your time.
  • multiple planes arriving at the same time - generally passport control reacts pretty quickly to this problem, but every now and then you can get stuck on line for 15 minutes or so
  • slow luggage - this is probably the most common problem. The last time I arrived at FCO (last month) our bags were already up by the time I got there (made a quick bathroom stop on the way, other than that we sped right through), but I have waited up to 30 minutes in the past

As to which bus to book, given that they will let you on a later bus if you miss the one you booked, I'd go ahead and book the earlier one and hope for the best.

Edited by euro cruiser

Taxis from the airport into central Rome have a fixed fare of 40 Euro. More information on the city's web site here: http://www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal/pcr?jppagecode=taxi_tar_fisse_aero_eng.wp

Many things can impact how long it takes to clear passport control and get your bags, but in general I'd say it hasn't taken more than an hour (I travel through FCO once or twice a year).

Some of the possible impacts:

• if you are on Alitalia there's a good chance you won't have a gate; frequently they disembark their planes on the tarmac and you take a bus to the terminal building. This extra step can add up to 30 minutes to your time.
  • multiple planes arriving at the same time - generally passport control reacts pretty quickly to this problem, but every now and then you can get stuck on line for 15 minutes or so
  • slow luggage - this is probably the most common problem. The last time I arrived at FCO (last month) our bags were already up by the time I got there (made a quick bathroom stop on the way, other than that we sped right through), but I have waited up to 30 minutes in the past

As to which bus to book, given that they will let you on a later bus if you miss the one you booked, I'd go ahead and book the earlier one and hope for the best.

Thank you! The taxi fare I was asking about was from Termini to our hotel (Smeraldo) in Rome. Rick Steves mentions 10 euros from Termini to the Vatican, so is that a good estimate from Termini to the Campo de' Fiori neighborhood?