RCCL Port Everglades Staff TSA Hiring Rejects

Just returned from our LOS cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on 3/17. The cruise was OK...forgive me maybe I am getting too old for watery drinks, overcooked food, Belly Flop pool games, and flocks of rug rats (next time we will probably do Celebrity again when we cruise without children) BUT I do need to who to complain to and where regarding the staff at Port Everglades during our boarding process on 3/17 Berth 25

The check in process and staff were wonderful (we were able to use the "Priority Check In Lines" but once we turned the corner to wait to board the ship...

I have never met a woman (perky, demeaning burnette in her 50's or more) that I have wanted to muzzle and an older tall black man who told me directly that I was dumb and couldn't follow instructions.

We spent a great deal of money on the cruise and both have advanced degrees and have taken over 25 cruises AND while this doesn't really matter (I know I will get "flamed" on that one) I will not be herded, told to "Sit Down Now", and asked if I know the difference between my left and right.

My husband almost had to "muzzle" me. He kept reminding me that they were just frustrated hiring rejects from the TSA.

Any ideas/comments would be welcome...

Just returned from our LOS cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on 3/17. The cruise was OK...forgive me maybe I am getting too old for watery drinks, overcooked food, Belly Flop pool games, and flocks of rug rats (next time we will probably do Celebrity again when we cruise without children) BUT I do need to who to complain to and where regarding the staff at Port Everglades during our boarding process on 3/17 Berth 25

The check in process and staff were wonderful (we were able to use the "Priority Check In Lines" but once we turned the corner to wait to board the ship...

I have never met a woman (perky, demeaning burnette in her 50's or more) that I have wanted to muzzle and an older tall black man who told me directly that I was dumb and couldn't follow instructions.

We spent a great deal of money on the cruise and both have advanced degrees and have taken over 25 cruises AND while this doesn't really matter (I know I will get "flamed" on that one) I will not be herded, told to "Sit Down Now", and asked if I know the difference between my left and right.

My husband almost had to "muzzle" me. He kept reminding me that they were just frustrated hiring rejects from the TSA.

Sorry you had a bad experience...

I can't help with the TSA people, but you may want to avoid the Spring Break type time periods (all the kids are off school) so the rug rat craziness isn't as bad for you.

While I would agree that spring break might have had a lot to do with it, that type of behavior from any representative of the cruise line is totally unacceptable!!!

You should have asked for names and supervisors immediately! In arears, a politely worded note to C&A might muzzle those nasties in the future - they need to know that we are watching them as much as they are watching us!!!

As you said, you pay good money to go on a cruise and to be treated in such a demeaning way certainly doesn't endear you to RCL!

Thanks, I am certain that when I mention the time (11:45 AM) and the date (3/17/2012) and the location (post check in board area Berth 25)...if anyone at RCCL cares they will be able to determine who it was.

Truly if we hadn't have been leaving, I would've called for Security.

And I understand about the Spring Break Rug Rats but so many and so loud!

Well with me, somrthing like that does not wait. I can be a little mouthy at times if the wrong buttons are pushed, but rather than make a scene, I would have gotten somebody immediately to take care of this. Reporting it here on cruise critic IMO really serves no purpose as the people involved would now deny any remembrance of ever talking with you and saying anything disrepectful to you if they did claim to remember you. I would doubt it however considering the thousand of passengers coming through each week!

They had the RCI badges from want I could tell. My husband just compared them to the lovely and talented TSA agents we have here in ATL at Hartsfield Airport...

Maybe my giggling and eye rolling inflamed their sense of power!:cool:

They are under contract with RCL. We had a similar experience when getting ready to board the Equinox at that location in Feb this year. Fortunately the gentleman employee thought better of his demeanor and resolved the problem himself.

You should have asked for names and supervisors immediately! In arears, a politely worded note to C&A might muzzle those nasties in the future - they need to know that we are watching them as much as they are watching us!!!

At this point, a note will likely do very little. IF the incident is even looked into, it will almost certainly be met with what becomes a "he said/she said" situation....You write your note of complaint, and the employee in question (if questioned by superiors) will say that you were rude or demanding or whatever. Not saying you were, just that that is what they will say. Given the likelihood of that, I doubt it would even be looked into. The time to bring it to someone's attention was when it happened.

Either fortunately or unfortunately for me, Dh is a rather LARGE fellow (with sunglasses looks a bit like Secret Service!!). He can be a little intimidating when he walks up to someone....and has on occasion used that to our benefit.

I would have been fuming, but DH would have simply asked (nose-to-nose), "Do we have a problem?" and problem may have been resolved!! :eek:

Interesting you mention this, I noticed the same last week. Just got off Liberty today, and the port staff when we embarked and disembarked were equally rude. In particular, an older African-American woman who was wearing sunglasses and a hat. She mumbled every time she spoke to anyone, and became snappy and rude if she had to repeat herself. Check-in agents were not much better. I don't have an issue being directed and herded, but don't be rude about it and talk to me like I'm 5.

However, the utter chaos that makes up Port Everglades doesn't help at all. This has got to be the worst port! Never have I stood in so many lines and done so much backtracking and walking all over one terminal building!

I will not be herded, told to "Sit Down Now", and asked if I know the difference between my left and right.

From your note, it sounds like you really may have been the problem because you weren't following directions. The staff is boarding thousands of people and sometimes they need your cooperation.

Ideas??? How about you follow directions ???

I'm sorry you had such a nasty experience with the rejected TSA peeps. :(

I always keep my Nikon right in reach and I've snapped photos before. Like the porter at Miami that insisted he should get tipped 'because he was the last person to handle my luggage"....really...SNAP He didn't like that.

Or the other cruise many years ago where these kids kept running up and down the hallway at very late hours (after 1:45am..). I called the desk but they said they couldn't catch them. I heard them coming, threw my cabin door open and FLASH! Lol....Needless to say, we never heard those kids again. Hmmm..

People hate having their photo made. Just a tip for the future.;)

Interesting you mention this, I noticed the same last week. Just got off Liberty today, and the port staff when we embarked and disembarked were equally rude. In particular, an older African-American woman who was wearing sunglasses and a hat. She mumbled every time she spoke to anyone, and became snappy and rude if she had to repeat herself. Check-in agents were not much better. I don't have an issue being directed and herded, but don't be rude about it and talk to me like I'm 5.

However, the utter chaos that makes up Port Everglades doesn't help at all. This has got to be the worst port! Never have I stood in so many lines and done so much backtracking and walking all over one terminal building!

It's not the port....it's the terminal......terminal 18 at Port Everglades is one the best I have seen. I have been out of terminal 25 a few times....terrible terminal. Also the shorter sailings on Liberty get a different crowd than the longer sailings or Oasis/Allure. Just another reason to stick with Oasis/Allure and terminal 18. I have also been thru terminal 25 with Celebrity....not much different....it's just an outdated terrible set-up.

Too late now, but immediately ask to have the Pier Coordinator come over to resolve any problem. Secondly, contact RCI since you have info. It will do you no good since your cruise is over, but it could result in a change in security service or personnel.

When you are outside the rules, comply, when you are right, stand up for your rights. Never get in a spitting match with overly "empowered" employees...but involve supervisors on the spot!

I guess I must be really out to lunch on this, but you'd think that over the years, after doing this for thousands of times, they'd have this down to a science by now!

We've been on many cruises and for the most part, you stand in line, then when you are called to the agent you fill out any paperwork you forgot to do in advance, they take your picture, swipe your credit card and off you go! Somewhere in there you have to go through 'security', but I don't remember the last time I heard about a shoe bomber/underwear bomber geting on a cruise ship!! It' s not rocket science and they aren't terribly strict.

Put up some ropes and people, for the most part, will stand in the queue. Where does the ugliness come from?!?!?!? I'm sorry if you are THAT unhappy with your job.....get another one. If you can't get another one, slap a smile on your face and be pleasant!

At this point, a note will likely do very little. IF the incident is even looked into, it will almost certainly be met with what becomes a "he said/she said" situation....You write your note of complaint, and the employee in question (if questioned by superiors) will say that you were rude or demanding or whatever. Not saying you were, just that that is what they will say. Given the likelihood of that, I doubt it would even be looked into. The time to bring it to someone's attention was when it happened.

Waterbug may be right that this will become a she said/she said situation, still write the complaint if you felt you were treated poorly. If that employee has a whole stack of complaints while others have few or none, the supervisor will get the picture. It would help if you had gotten the name or a photo, but send your note with whatever you have. I think it is a terminal employee with a RCI tag one day and a different tag if a different ship docks.

Either fortunately or unfortunately for me, Dh is a rather LARGE fellow (with sunglasses looks a bit like Secret Service!!). He can be a little intimidating when he walks up to someone....and has on occasion used that to our benefit.

I would have been fuming, but DH would have simply asked (nose-to-nose), "Do we have a problem?" and problem may have been resolved!! :eek:

Lol!! :D

I'm sorry you had such a nasty experience with the rejected TSA peeps. :(

I always keep my Nikon right in reach and I've snapped photos before. Like the porter at Miami that insisted he should get tipped 'because he was the last person to handle my luggage"....really...SNAP He didn't like that.

Or the other cruise many years ago where these kids kept running up and down the hallway at very late hours (after 1:45am..). I called the desk but they said they couldn't catch them. I heard them coming, threw my cabin door open and FLASH! Lol....Needless to say, we never heard those kids again. Hmmm..

People hate having their photo made. Just a tip for the future.;)

Great idea :) My mom does this...lol! And it works! Makes them mad sometimes...but it works :)

Well, if he said that apparently you didn't

Archived