Infinity late leaving FLL

takemewithyou

In April of 2009, I was on Infinity doing a westbound Panama Canal out of Ft. Lauderdale. I was sitting in the airport waiting for the Celebrity transfer to the port. And waiting. For hours waiting. We heard lots of rumors, but I was told the "real" story was that a crew member dropped a fire extinguisher and it exploded. As if that weren't bad enough, it happened a SECOND time and they closed down the port and had Homeland Security come in and inspect. Nobody was allowed in or out, and cabs were turned away at the port's gates. The ship left about 3 hours late.

Wonder what the story is this time. I just find it interesting that it's once again the Infinity, and once again Panama Canal. If I could have those odds, I'd buy more lottery tickets.

In April of 2009, I was on Infinity doing a westbound Panama Canal out of Ft. Lauderdale. I was sitting in the airport waiting for the Celebrity transfer to the port. And waiting. For hours waiting. We heard lots of rumors, but I was told the "real" story was that a crew member dropped a fire extinguisher and it exploded. As if that weren't bad enough, it happened a SECOND time and they closed down the port and had Homeland Security come in and inspect. Nobody was allowed in or out, and cabs were turned away at the port's gates. The ship left about 3 hours late.

Wonder what the story is this time. I just find it interesting that it's once again the Infinity, and once again Panama Canal. If I could have those odds, I'd buy more lottery tickets.

All other ships left on time, so it wasn't a port problem. I heard someone on the ship talking to the harbor master on the audio, and it sounded like they might have waiting for passengers. It might have been a group of people who's flight was late arriving. If they booked through ChoiceAir, the ship would wait a reasonable amount of time for them to get to the ship. I only heard part of the conversation, so I might have gotten the reason wrong, but this is what it sounded like from what I heard.

It isn't unusual for a ship to leave port late. On almost every cruise I have been on we've left at least one port more than an hour late. So it could have been caused by any number of things.

Hey croozer, we were on the Panama Canal cruise on the Infinity in April 2009 as well and experienced the delayed departure and, later, the dreaded H1N1 port cancellation debacle. We were aboard before the incident and were so happy to be going on a cruise that it didn't matter a bit that we were delayed. However we were a bit bummed to miss Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, and one other port--Mazatlan?

Betsy

Betsy:

Glad to hear I didn't imagine the whole thing, that someone else experienced it. I remember going stir crazy after missing all those Mexican ports and getting an unscheduled visit to San Diego--not much of a thrill for me, since I'm from LA and sail out of San Diego frequently. The reason I said in the title "It gets worse" is because I had a problem before I could get to the pier and had to let the ship sail without me--then had to catch up with it at the first port, Montego Bay. The entire cruise was pretty close to a bad experience, but it didn't stop me from cruising after that, and I'm back on Celebrity next month to give them another chance :)

Seems like Murphy's Law was in effect for your cruise. :) Due to skipping the Mexico ports, we spent the last night of the trip on the Infinity in our home port, San Francisco. The good news was that it was the most beautiful night we have ever experienced in SF. It was warm (unusual at night in SF) and clear, with a full moon. Glad you are forgiving Celebrity and sailing again. We've done a TA since then and have another cruise scheduled for 2013.

Betsy

Infinity is starting a Panama Canal cruise - was supposed to leave at 4:30 pm, but it hasn't left FLL yet.......wonder why? :confused:

It's quite late......still tied up at the dock.

www.portevergladeswebcam.com

We were on the 11-Mar12 to 26-Mar-12 Valparaiso to FLL repositioning cruise and lots of people (including me) came down with the noro virus. Could there have been some extra cleaning/sanitizing that may have been performed, thus leading the next departure to be late?

We were on the 11-Mar12 to 26-Mar-12 Valparaiso to FLL repositioning cruise and lots of people (including me) came down with the noro virus. Could there have been some extra cleaning/sanitizing that may have been performed, thus leading the next departure to be late?

That's certainly possible.....

We arrived on the Infinity too and as said, we had the dreaded Noro. When we got off for our city tour, I noticed that the yellow (quaranntine) flag was flying (but they still let us all off!). We dropped our guide back at the port at about 1.30 and noticed no one was on board (you could see there was no one on the sunset aft bar or by the pool on decks 10 & 11),so I reckon they were doing a deep clean to try and sanitize the ship. I know my 'guts' weren't right for the last week or so, but I don't think I got the full blown Noro luckily.

Simon

Archived