Excursions in the fjords

Gath

Could anyone please share their experiences of excursions on visiting the Fjords. I am looking at booking some trips for our visit in May on the Arcadia and would welcome any advice and tips.

I recommend a trip to Briksdale Glacier should you stop in Olden.

http://www.fjord1.no/en/

If you click on the above link it will enable you to find out the local bus service to the Glacier for your date of arrival. Enter Olden and Briksdalen into the appropriate boxes.

The cost for the service bus cost me £20 for two adults and two children for a return ticket. The bus stops at the dock and then runs to the entrance of the Glacier Park. You get the same route as the P & O official tour buses too and our driver even stopped for us to take pictures en route, yet there were only us four on the bus. This route is not only unspoken of by the cruise companies but also by the tourist office in Olden who tried to send me to the wrong place to catch it. I guess everyone tries to covet their £25 minimum per person charge for taking you there.

Stavanger,Easy to diy walk around the old town and over to the Oil and Gas museum

Olden. sorry cant help

Geiranger Easy to DIY walk UP the hill past the old wooden church ( do pop in) then continue up the hill and on the right past the big hotel on the left go to the FJORDS centre.. a must vist place

and Bergen shuttle into town walk along to the fish market and to the left to the old town and along to the castle nice place for morning coffee break.

Olden was my favourite port on the Fjords cruise, here are 10 or so photos from my Norway Album of Olden.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378442389702186226

see the train outside infront of the ship? This takes you to Olden Village and then all around Olden lake, £15pp, and was lovely, see views in photos. We did this in the morning, and at 1230 went on the BRIKSDAL GLACIER tour trip, more photos of that in album following Olden...

Doing it DIY is cheaper but sorry, I would be worried about the bus not turning up and me missing the ships departure... EACH TO THEIR OWN, but I prefer the security of P&O tours as the ship only waits for them and not for you.

JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER.

Bergen, more photos in this album of Bergen which we did do DIY - a free shuttle from ship to town, then we walked through the interesting market, vegetarians should avoid, as sights to behold there including wolf and seal pelts and samples of whale meat etc. The highlight is the funnicular railway find the station and buy your own tickets, but try and get there by 11.30 as it gets very busy.

When I go again in 7 weeks time have Flamm, looking forward to the railway journey - already booked tickets.

This time going to Kjenndalen Glacier with a small boat trip through smaller fjord inlets at Olden.,Lovatnet Lake.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Gath.

My suggestions

Stavanger - wander round the town - both the pretty old town and the newer shopping areas. The cathedral is striking and the maritime museum on the quayside is well worth a visit (with free English headphone guide).

442%2520Stavanger%252C%2520Norway.JPG

Bergen

DIY round Bryggen and the main town, or perhaps a trip up the funicular to Floyen for great views (if clear).

369%2520Bergen.JPG

Olden

As mentioned the Briksdal Glacier is a good place to visit IF you are ok with a stiff half-hour uphill climb. Please wear suitable footwear (not flipflops or high heels as I saw on my trip!) and take a waterproof to cover any cameras etc by the falls. Otherwise wander round the village - nice stave church, a few souvenir shops and the fjord itself.

270%2520From%2520path%2520to%2520Briksdal%2520Glacier.JPG

Geiranger

Maybe an excursion to Dalsnibba?

Have a great time. This cruise is a lovely mix of town and countryside. Just be prepared for the prices! Coffee and cake is around £5-6 (or was). Goodness knows what it is now !

Archived