Grandma taking Grandkids on the Allure

kim826

I am a Grandma taking my two grandkids (11 & 7) on the Allure in October. I know there is a special form their parents have to fill out (got that). Are there any tips anyone can give from other Grandparents who have taken their grandkids on the Allure without parents?

While I feel that they are way too young to be allowed to roam the ship on thier own, the one big thing is to tell them not to ever go into someone elses room, no matter how safe they seem. I would keep them close to you when they are not at the youth program and heed the warnings when the entertainment venue says "adult entertainment".

There are so many activities that the Adventure Ocean organizes that I don't think they will ever be bored. There will be a compass in your room each evening that will explain the activities for the next day so you can make plans. If they are like my niece and nephew when we took them on a couple cruises, they never wanted to leave our side in case we did something more ineresting.

Lay out your rules and expectations before you leave and enjoy your cruise.

I am a Grandma taking my two grandkids (11 & 7) on the Allure in October. I know there is a special form their parents have to fill out (got that). Are there any tips anyone can give from other Grandparents who have taken their grandkids on the Allure without parents?

....just one question, why aren't you taking your kids?! (I would be jealous). All kidding aside, your grandchildren will love it - plenty to do and good kids clubs. Get them signed up for their age clubs. You'll enjoy it as well - well balanced interests for all ages on board. Enjoy!

I take my kids and their spouses every four years instead of doing Christmas and birthday presents. I pay for an inside cabin - they do the rest (upgrades, expenses, airfare). My boys have started inviting some of their friends to join us (which I encourage as I get a group rate :) ). Apparently they have decided that they don't want their kids to see (aka witness - slow down) their adult activities! I gave the choice of Disney or a cruise. They picked a cruise - which works for me :)

I take my kids and their spouses every four years instead of doing Christmas and birthday presents. I pay for an inside cabin - they do the rest (upgrades, expenses, airfare). My boys have started inviting some of their friends to join us (which I encourage as I get a group rate :) ). Apparently they have decided that they don't want their kids to see (aka witness - slow down) their adult activities! I gave the choice of Disney or a cruise. They picked a cruise - which works for me :)

That is a great arrangement. If I ever have grandchildren I will do the same. Being as I am 68, I don't know if there ever will be grandchildren, so for now, we do treat our adult children to one short cruise a year. My one son does want only cruises with a FlowRider. :D

Spoil them! Let them eat and do whatever they want, and have a great cruise and enjoy the time with the grandkids :)

I want to be your grandkid!! I know when we took our son / neice we had a great time and they loved that they could have ice cream for breakfast or midnight snack.

I would make sure you have medical release forms, cards, information on allergies in case something were to happen. Other than that I would just tell you that we took the note from my sister / ex and they never even ask for it.

Have a great time and spoil them rotten

We have taken grandkids multiple times. One thing we do is "change" the rules at lunch and do dessert first. We also encourage them to order off the adult menu in the MDR. Let them stay late a night or two at the kids club (addition $$). Each will get a day to be "in charge" of the elevator buttons. We also buy them the soda card. They are not allowed to roam the ship.

I have no experience with this whatsoever, but maybe I'll be in your situation someday. As a precaution that would be simple to do and hopefully totally unnecessary. Have the cell phone number of the parents handy and make sure they know the approximate time you are boarding and have them make themselves available for a call. Then I would try to board as early as possible allowing time for anything unexpected.

I would get the cell phones, maybe only 2 necessary, 1 for you and 1 for them. Just in case you do let them walk around together a little bit, or if they are in AO and you are somewhere else, or if for any other reason, a precaution in case of seperation!

I would get the cell phones, maybe only 2 necessary, 1 for you and 1 for them. Just in case you do let them walk around together a little bit, or if they are in AO and you are somewhere else, or if for any other reason, a precaution in case of seperation!

Understand the cell phones for home calls at boarding, etc., but once on the ship and out of port you absolutely do not want to use cell phones to keep in touch with the kids on board - you will pay extremely high roaming and usage charges. Suggest small inexpensive walkie talkies (which they sell on the ship as well) for on board communications if needed.

Understand the cell phones for home calls at boarding, etc., but once on the ship and out of port you absolutely do not want to use cell phones to keep in touch with the kids on board - you will pay extremely high roaming and usage charges. Suggest small inexpensive walkie talkies (which they sell on the ship as well) for on board communications if needed.

I think they meant those dec-phones, or some kid of walkie talkie that is available.

This may be a moot point since you are going in October, but be sure and have them pack a pair of long pants -- required if they are going to ice skate. They will not permit you on the ice with shorts. Ice skating was one of the highlights of the trip for our 6 and 8yo granddaughters!

On another note -- they most definitely did ask for the notarized parent permission form when we boarded.

Your grandkids will have memories that will last a lifetime from this trip!! :)

If you'd like two more grandkids to possibly adopt, my husband and I volunteer! We're well behaved, polite, and have great table manners.

Seriously, what you are doing is awesome. You're creating a memory for your grandkids and are forever solidifying your Cool Grandma status. My parents are also very involved with our kids and often take them places, as well. Their involvement, just like yours, only helps them become the great little people that they are.

I'm a neurotic mom, so take this as you will :D Also, my kids are older so the rules are probably different as they were allowed to wander more than your grandkids probably will be. I tried to cover everything - even basic manners that they know - just because being on a cruise is so darn exciting that they might forget! Plus, we were with a large group so there were a lot of kids together.

1. No pressing all the elevator buttons

2. No running up and down the halls and/or knocking on people's doors

3. No one in our room unless we are there also.

4. No going into anyone elses room unless the parents were there.

5. No talking about pushing anyone overboard. Ever. Not even as a joke.

6. No setting your drink down, walking away, then coming back to it. If you need to leave your drink unattended, then get a fresh one when you need a drink. (This is actually good advice for adults, too)

All that being said...let them do the fun stuff that they normally wouldn't do at home! Ice cream for breakfast! Order room service! Have more than one dessert! The possibilities are endless, but the best part is that they will remember this time with you forever!

We have taken grandkids multiple times. One thing we do is "change" the rules at lunch and do dessert first. We also encourage them to order off the adult menu in the MDR. Let them stay late a night or two at the kids club (addition $$). Each will get a day to be "in charge" of the elevator buttons. We also buy them the soda card. They are not allowed to roam the ship.

Now that's fun stuff!! I love to let my kids do that kind of stuff on vacation. I always make sure they are well-behaved and aren't troublesome to others but this kind of rule-breaking is the fun they will remember for the rest of their lives.

You're good to your grandkids. My grandparents are good to me too! Can't tell you how many places I've gone with them! :)

If you weren't a good kid, they wouldn't take you! ;)

I took a niece with us to Africa because I knew she wanted to go, but also because I knew she'd appreciate it and not be any trouble. I don't take all of them, but I did take her!

Besides the necessary forms for check in (that you already have), be sure to have a notarized medical power of attorney for the kiddos as well. Enjoy your cruise!!

I'm not sure if you are also flying or not, but we travel and cruise with our grandkids quite often and we also do the following in addition to the paperwork the cruie line needs. Their parents make a notarized letter stating the following: John Smith is allowed to travel with Mr. Bill and Mrs. Mary Smith anytime from (fill in the date you leave until the date you return). I also authorize Mr. Bill and Mrs. Mary Smith to make any medical decisions on behalf of John Smith.

This way, in case of any medical emergency for the child, we as grandparents would be able to make any immediate medical decisions and also travel any way (via cruise, plane, etc) in case of an emergency or change in travel plans along the way.

Archived