Formal Nights are Alive and Well!

Lsimon

There are a lot of postings on these boards that would leave one to believe that dressing formal on formal nights is a thing of the past and is dead or dying. I want to report that this was not the case on the Equinox 10 night Caribbean cruise we just finished.

Reading some posts over the past months I’ve even come to doubt my own recollections that the vast majority of men wore tuxes and dark suits with a hefty percentage wearing tuxes.

I thought about this one evening when we were enjoying the Martini Bar and looked around and noticed there wasn’t one casually dressed person in sight! I even walked around the corner where people were starting to congregate by the dining room for dinner and noticed that nearly everyone was properly dressed for formal night according to the published dress code. I did see one man who had only a shirt and tie on and a couple of others who had a lighter colored sport jacket but they were clearly the exception.

I snapped a couple of random photos around the Martini Bar and the dining room entrance to show this:

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8109.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

ALSO:

On this cruise we dined in Blu one formal night and in Muranos another – both of these venues have a smart casual or above dress code on formal nights so formal wear is not required as it is in the main dining room. Despite the relaxed requirement the overwhelming majority of diners in these venues were dressed formally, including our group of six where the men all wore tuxes and ladies all wore elegant and beautiful formal outfits. While I did see a couple people in nice smart casual clothing in Blu they were way outnumbered by those wearing tuxes and dark suits and the same was the case in Muranos.

Thanks for that update. We are “old school” and enjoy dressing for dinner, on land or on a cruise. I appreciated the specialty restaurant note as we had specialty restaurant reservations on another line ( not realizing it was on formal night) and we went in our formal attire anyway. We felt great and I hope we looked pretty good too!

M

The passengers are lovely and handsome. Indeed they appear to support and enjoy formal night aboard ship.

I wonder if you obtained their permission to photograph and post these photos on the web.

On this message board, I've seen passengers photographed in many areas of the ship and wonder about the right to privacy whether they are drinking, sunbathing, or riding an elevator.

If this post is inappropriate, please flag Andy to delete it. I mean no harm, only want to ask the question about privacy in the digital age.

Maris

The passengers are lovely and handsome. Indeed they appear to support and enjoy formal night aboard ship.

I wonder if you obtained their permission to photograph and post these photos on the web.

On this message board, I've seen passengers photographed in many areas of the ship and wonder about the right to privacy whether they are drinking, sunbathing, or riding an elevator.

If this post is inappropriate, please flag Andy to delete it. I mean no harm, only want to ask the question about privacy in the digital age.

Maris

Depends on the country, but I believe in the United States, you can photograph anyone in a public place and post it wherever you want without permission, as long as you are not using their likeness to advertise, etc. How do you think the paparazzi do it?! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law#privacy_issues

We are just off the March 18-25 Solstice Western Caribbean cruise and can confirm that formal night is alive and well. We had the earlier seating and did notice that the late sitting passengers were dressed more formal. Don't ask me why, but it was noticeable.

Andy

On our recent 12 day Caribbean on the Silhouette, I would estimate approximately 95% of folks dressed in formal wear with many guys wearing tuxes. Not my idea of being comfortable, but I'll report the facts as I've seen them. Formal wear appears alive for the near future, at least on X.

We had early dinner in Blu on the 3 formal nights. The first night, I was very surprised to see that most of the men wore tuxes or dark suits, there were a couple of men in blazers/shirt/tie and one man in shirtsleeves. The next 2 formal night were basically the same.

We are just off the March 18-25 Solstice Western Caribbean cruise and can confirm that formal night is alive and well. We had the earlier seating and did notice that the late sitting passengers were dressed more formal. Don't ask me why, but it was noticeable.

Andy

Ah. Maybe I should buy that tux then, we are at the late sitting for dinner!

I like formal nights, but I wear a suit, or a nice blazer, tie and dress slacks.

That's about as " formal " as I get, and judging even from the OP 's pictures, most people feel the same.

I am willing to bet you look mighty sharp.:cool:I also want to thank the OP for the post and the pictures.

Why? The only reason this thread will be closed is if it becomes argumentative and you can't argue with the pictures Larry quite legitimately posted. Thanks for posting this Larry. Every time I see one of the dress code threads maligning formal nights and how they are a thing of the past I remember what my experiences have been which mirror what you have photographed (and we have been on some of the same cruises!) and think what a load of tut.

Phil

I don't want to be argumentative. I think most do comply, but I think this is a rah rah thread by those who love formal nights and want to see everyone dressed in tuxes and gowns and thumb their nose at anyone who has a different opinion and want formal nights relaxed. If anyone HAS a different opinion, they get flamed, told to go on NCL or Carnival (which also has formal nights), or that you are ruining everyone's enjoyment by not wearing a tux or a suit. It just asks for trouble.

On our recent Summit cruise 3/10 on the first formal night I would say that 98% complied with the rules, on the second formal night I did see two men one had a golf shirt on with a maroon sport jacket and the other had on a sport shirt with dress pants. Just a guess but I'd say that 10-15% of the men wore tuxes.

I'd say that formal nights are still quite popular.

J.

Thank you for your post. I think there is nothing more handsome than my DH in a Tux:) I feel wonderful in my evening gown with my DH on one side & my FIL on the other.

If we have to pay excess baggage than so be it.:)

Depends on the country, but I believe in the United States, you can photograph anyone in a public place and post it wherever you want without permission, as long as you are not using their likeness to advertise, etc. How do you think the paparazzi do it?! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law#privacy_issues

That is the law in the US....

Also, there was someone who posted yesterday who said he was denied entry to the dining room for not having a tie on....Just posting what he said, not giving an opinion..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1599588 Post #19

I think that it's very telling that Celebrity's newest " class " , Aqua allows it's patrons to avoid formal nights entirely. On my Infinity cruise in January I was in AQ. I still wore at least a jacket and tie with dressier slacks on formal nights, even though I wasn't required to. I only saw a few people in Blu with a tux on, one of which I was seated next to. He remarked that he didn't realize he didn't need to be formal in Blu, had he known he would have left the tux at home!

My husband always dressed formally on cruises. However, we will be in AQ on a Med. cruise in May and will not pack the tux, shoes, etc. for that one. I am hoping he won't be out of place in Blu with a sport coat and pants.

I think that it's very telling that Celebrity's newest " class " , Aqua allows it's patrons to avoid formal nights entirely. On my Infinity cruise in January I was in AQ. I still wore at least a jacket and tie with dressier slacks on formal nights, even though I wasn't required to. I only saw a few people in Blu with a tux on, one of which I was seated next to. He remarked that he didn't realize he didn't need to be formal in Blu, had he known he would have left the tux at home!

I think all the specialties including Blu with the Smart Casual dress code are revenue enhancements. Just read how many people come on this board looking to avoid dressing formal, thus they go to Specialties and Celebrity makes more money.

Archived