Where should my Pixel setting be

Just messing around with my cameras. I have just run of the mill Kodak digitals and was wondering were i should be setting the pixel setting. I have received pictures from friends and the picture is either huge or tiny, is that from the pixel setting?

I just want some nice photos of our trip. I was just gonna set it in the middle.

Thanks

Just messing around with my cameras. I have just run of the mill Kodak digitals and was wondering were i should be setting the pixel setting. I have received pictures from friends and the picture is either huge or tiny, is that from the pixel setting?

I just want some nice photos of our trip. I was just gonna set it in the middle.

Thanks

I get asked this a lot!

Her is an article I wrote on the subject of "how much memory will I need" but it dives into the subject of resolution and picture quality. I've been told that it is "informative but newbie-friendly". :)

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm

Hope it helps!

Dave

Given the low cost of memory cards, I would shoot at the highest resolution and dumb it down for email. Many email programs will do that automatically for you. I know that Hotmail does that.

I'm withe Dileep that memory is so cheap these days that shooting JPG always pick fine with minimum compression. You can always choose to reduce the resolution in post processing for web site, posting, or other, but for the initial capture go for the most.

Of course the pruriest would say RAW, but I find jpg probably good enough for everyone but the pixel peepers or people that seriously need to milk the very most out of their digital images.

As others have said, memory cards are so cheap these days get a few and keep the maximum quality possible. Plus, by using multiple cards, you can swap them out each day or two and if something would happen to your camera and/or card, at least you don't loose all of your pictures. For this reason, I prefer multiple smaller cards instead of 1 big one. I personally have about 4 8GB and 1 16GB cards that I use in my DSLR and two point and shoots.

Archived