Women - Formal nights dress poll

SFfranks

Poll for all the women - I know there are lots of questions on this topic but in this day and age how many of you women out there wear a formal floor length dress or a formal cocktail dress on formal nights?

Thanks

I wish I had the figure but I don't so i wear dressy pants and top. And the airlines are charging so much for luggage now that you have to bring versatile pieces. I was on Carnival last week for a 3 day but alot of those passengers were able to drive to port. There were some very beautiful outfits both men and women. Anyway I am much more comfortable in my pants with the expando waist for extra food at dinner.....LOL

Not me, my formal night clothes will either be a long black skirt or dressy black pants with sparkly/beaded tops.

me too--but when I fit back into my great formal cocktail dress I will be wearing that too!!!

Black dressy slacks and a beaded top.

My hubby wears a tux.

What do most men wear for casual night? We leave tomorrow and he plans on wearing polo shirts and dress slacks. Do alot of men wear a suit or sportcoat for casual night? Not room to pack a suit, yeah, I don't know how to pack light, but does anyone for a 12 nite cruise.

Wearing a long gown doesn't mean wearing a poofy prom dress whatsoever. I wear gowns that are jersey w/beading or chiffon w/beading. They are lite-weight and pack extremely well. They actually weigh less than slacks or beaded tops.

I took a royal blue cocktail dress on my last cruise a couple of weeks ago. Alas, after several days of no exercise (to speak of) and two days of cruise food, it didn't fit.

A couple of years ago, I wore a floor-length red velvet dress with a large scoop back, and I got LOTS of compliments on it. Bought it at a flea market in Rapid City, SD for $1!

I've tried virtually everything except a true ball gown (e.g., a full skirted, full length gown). I've worn long evening gowns like Karyanne describes (and I agree they can weigh less and take up less room than a beaded top); short cocktail dress of black satin with black velvet trim; black wide legged pants with a sparkly top, tea length black skirt with beaded jacket, etc.

I have worn long dresses on formal night - not prom type but elegant formal satin, silk or chiffon dresses. On my upcoming cruise I am going to wear cocktail dresses - not sparkly but satin, I think they will fit the occasion.

I have seen women (girls!) dressed as if they were going to the academy awards and some women who are clearly wearng their mother-of-the-bride getups. I try to keep it simple and over the years have found three dresses that pack well and don't take up much room--I would call them tea length. We are doing an extra month (almost) in Europe after our TA and I do not want to be lugging all that around, so I may just take one dress and wear it three times!

This makes me laugh. Us women can get away w/ slacks/skirt & a blouse (which is what I wear to work each day) as "formal" night wear...but the men have to wear suits or tuxes to be considered "formal".

I have to disagree on this one. If i wore what i wear to formal nights to work, I'd be laughed at/looked at funny.

I tend to wear sparkly top/long skirt or cocktail dress as well. The top/shirt is from some "collection" put out for "formal wear" for women, but certainly isn't formal like the old days (as if i experienced those i'm goin' off pictures as i'm 37 lol).

I do wear work type attire on non-formal nights. That i'd agree with. Black pants and a nice top, typically. Else a long skirt.

I ALWAYS wear either a long gown or a very dressy cocktail dress for every formal night (even on Carnival), and DH always wears a tux. All my dresses take up less luggage space than one sweatshirt (ugh). Even my "prom" gown, with long, very full skirt, is such lightweight fabric that it rolls up to practically nothing. It's fun for us, and it just feels right.

mrsdoc3- Ja Ja, that reminds me of the time I took my one in million 2 pieces formal attire to a cruise and soon after we finished dinner I changed to black pants and sparkling blouse, cause I couldn't hold my breath any longer!!!! LOL Thank God we took our picture before dinner!!!

This time I'm taking a "little black dress" and cocktail dresses. If when the time comes, the one in a million formal dress fits me, it will also travel with me, if not he stays and I leave je, je. (This one is one of those that doesn't take much space/weight.)

We generally select cruises of 14 days or longer, so I expect three formal nights. I pack a long black embroidered dress (of the nature as described by Karyanne), a short sparkly cocktail dress and a sparkly top. I take a short black skirt, which I also frequently wear on non-formal nights, in addition to black pants. The sparkly top looks better with the short black skirt, but I can also wear it with black pants and flat shoes.

A number of years ago one of the formal nights fell on a day when we were having rough weather, and I still have clear memories of trying to walk around that evening on heels with a glass of red wine as the Mercury was pitching and rolling. Other women were having the same problem toddering around the ship that night. After that experience I bought the sparkly top to wear either with a black skirt or pants. If we ever have a formal night fall on a day with such weather I will be wearing the sparkly top with the pants and flat shoes.

Archived