Is Oceania's food the same on all their ships?

Cathy Maneri

I just sailed on the Marina and loved...loved....loved the food. I'm booked on the Regatta next April.

Can someone tell me if ALL of Oceania's ships now have the same great food and menus as the Marina does? I do know they only have Polo Grill and Toscano which is fine with me, but I really enjoyed the Terrace Grill on the Marina.

Also, does the Regatta have a Barista?

To amplify on Lyn's comments, the "R" ships don't have the room that Marina/Riviera do, so all restaurants are smaller. (Well, actually, I didn't feel that Polo and Toscana were larger on Marina but I really didn't look around to make a comparison.)

Certainly the Terrace Cafe on the O class ships has much more room than it does on the "R" ships.

The GDR on the "R" ships is smaller, but it seemed to me that the menus were pretty similar. Some will argue that the food is not the same (!) but we personally liked the GDR as well on Marina as we did on the "R" ships, and we are people who usually prefer the GDR to Polo/Toscana.

We have rarely used all our specialty restaurant reservations on the "R" ships, so people should be glad to find that they are on the same cruise as we are!

Mura

I just sailed on the Marina and loved...loved....loved the food. I'm booked on the Regatta next April.

Can someone tell me if ALL of Oceania's ships now have the same great food and menus as the Marina does? I do know they only have Polo Grill and Toscano which is fine with me, but I really enjoyed the Terrace Grill on the Marina.

The R ships do not have Baristas. As has been stated, their restaurants are smaller in number and size than those on the newer ships.

On the Oceania Web-Site, the restaurant menu(s) for the matching venues are identical. This would lead me to believe that the intention is that the food should be the same fleet-wide.

The reality, however, is that the newer ships, with their larger staffs and more extensive catering facilities, are where new items are introduced.

The more successful of those items are then rolled out to the rest of the fleet, with the proviso that the smaller restaurant has the space, the staff and can get ingredients of the proper quality aboard.

I always picture the Chef getting the go-ahead for the Kobe burgers as the ship is sailing off the coast of India :o

Thank you for all your answers.

Three more questions:

Can you get lattes in so called "Terrace Grill" on the R ships? Is the coffee also Illy?

Can you get grilled-to-order steak and lobster tails, etc. in the "Lido/Buffet" area even though they don't have a grill?

Is there tapas on the R ships in place of the grill?

Thank you for all your answers.

Three more questions:

Can you get lattes in so called "Terrace Grill" on the R ships? Is the coffee also Illy? YES in the "TERRACE CAFE" I think Illy is the coffee of choice on all the ships now

Can you get grilled-to-order steak and lobster tails, etc. in the "Lido/Buffet" area even though they don't have a grill?

the buffet IS the Terrace Cafe, I do not think they do grilled to order meats/lobster I have never asked though

They do Omelets/eggs made to order for breakfast ..just go to the omelet station

You can get lattes, cappucinoes etc on R ships in the Terrace Grill. However, I strongly recommend you get them from the bar tender/barrista who actually makes the latte rather than from the TG auto coffee machine. Machine is on one side of TG, the bar is on the opposite side and open during meal service (bar tender makes mixed drinks and doles out beer/wine). The machine is available to you at any time during the day. You can also get lattes human made at the pool bar during the day.

I and others have found a marked difference in taste and texture of lattes cranked out by a human vs the auto machine (grittier - perhaps machine is not cleaned as often).

Illy beans are used but the beans are not freshly roasted. Beans are stored in a gallon sized cannister and are poured into the coffee machines as needed.

Can you get lattes in so called "Terrace Grill" on the R ships? Is the coffee also Illy?

No, you can't get grilled to order steak and lobster on the R ships. There is a grill (excellent) on the O class ships (Marina, Riviera) but not on the R ships. As the O ships are larger the Terrace Cafe (the buffet) has room to include the grill area.

You can get lattes, cappucinoes etc on R ships in the Terrace Grill. However, I strongly recommend you get them from the bar tender/barrista who actually makes the latte rather than from the TG auto coffee machine. Machine is on one side of TG, the bar is on the opposite side and open during meal service (bar tender makes mixed drinks and doles out beer/wine). The machine is available to you at any time during the day. You can also get lattes human made at the pool bar during the day.

I and others have found a marked difference in taste and texture of lattes cranked out by a human vs the auto machine (grittier - perhaps machine is not cleaned as often).

Illy beans are used but the beans are not freshly roasted. Beans are stored in a gallon sized cannister and are poured into the coffee machines as needed.

Thanks Wristband for the info. So the R Class does have a good coffee machine where they pack the coffee and make it personally and this is found mainly at the bar areas.

I know about the TG auto coffee machine. On the Marina if you eat at the TG and ask the server for a latte, he just goes over to the self-serve machine and makes you one. The machine the Barista had on deck 14 was a "true coffee maker".

I ask because I was on the Azamara Quest and they had an area that was a Barista so I thought all the R Class ships had them. But I guess Azamara put one in or Oceania took it out. Thanks for the detailed info.

I'm wondering why a few of you are referring to the Terrace Cafe as the Terrace Grill ... terminology from another ship perhaps?

Speaking only for myself, it leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out what you are referring to, even if only for a moment. Maybe I am alone in my confusion. By now, I think I have figured it out ...

But "Lido" doesn't apply to Oceania, neither does "Grill". Except that Marina/Riviera do have a grill area in their version of Terrace Cafe.

We've mostly sailed on Oceania in recent years, but we did two QE2 cruises and one NCL cruise during those years, and I can understand that terms can move from one ship to another ...

Mura

Hi, I just got off the Regatta and found the food to be pretty mediocre. It was much better on earlier cruises-- several years ago.

I'm wondering why a few of you are referring to the Terrace Cafe as the Terrace Grill ... terminology from another ship perhaps?

Speaking only for myself, it leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out what you are referring to, even if only for a moment. Maybe I am alone in my confusion. By now, I think I have figured it out ...

Mura

You are not alone :D

Is it possible to request grilled lobster tail at Terrace cafe on Marina? We're sailing this October, and I'm getting hungry! :cool:

I think they have it at the grill station ...hope someone who eats lobster will have the answer for you

Yes, unless they change the offerings. It was available on the maiden voyage and I've read several posts from other sailings where it is mentioned as well. The offerings may change from night to night or sailing to sailing but there is only so much they can practically do on the grill.

That grill station is a fantastic addition. Lobster, lamb chops (excellent), steak, etc. fresh off the grill every night! Just part of the service.

I think they have it at the grill station ...hope someone who eats lobster will have the answer for you

They are poaching, grilling, baking and broiling very nice sized, cold water lobster tails up there, as well as crab, shrimp and an astounding assortment of steaks and chops.

Between all that, and the wonderful Sushi I could happily eat in the Terrace Cafe every night!

................But I won't :p

They are poaching, grilling, baking and broiling very nice sized, cold water lobster tails up there, as well as crab, shrimp and an astounding assortment of steaks and chops.

Between all that, and the wonderful Sushi I could happily eat in the Terrace Cafe every night!

................But I won't :p

I saw the other items but because lobster & I do not agree anymore I did not look for it :D

Once I see lamb I do not see anything else :D:D

Love those lamb chops ..anywhere on the ship

Archived