Medications

I have a question for those of you that have to take shots often. I have to take 3 allergy shots a week and was wondering if I can go to the infirmary in order to discard my needles. I don't want to put them into a regular trash and risk someone accidentally getting poked. I know I don't have any transmital disease but wouldn't want someone worried about getting something from the poke. Also, how do I need to transport these thru security? I know I will need a Dr's note but do they require a certain container when carrying them? I have only been taking the shots for a few months so haven't had to travel with them yet so any information is appreciated (we will be driving also so no need for airline rules).

If you complete the Special Needs form: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do and return it to them. Royal Caribbean will provide you with a sharps container in your stateroom. (it's under "stateroom") :)

Thanks for the link. Like I said, I have never had to deal with this before but knew there had to be some type of policy in place..thanks again.

Hi

Whta I do and done last week is just email this address with your full names and booking ref,, specialservices.uk@rccl.com

after a few days you will get this repy:

Dear Mrs -----,

Thank you for your email, please be advised a sharps bin will be provided

to you, please ensure you take a doctors prescription with you if you can

as you will be carrying needles.

If the sharps bin isn;t in your room when you board, just ask your attendant and they will get it for you. You can also ask that your mini bar be emptied, so you can store any medications, such as in my case Insulin.

Hope this helps,, Chrissy

i too travel with prefilled syringes and inject three times a week. We have never, on any line, regardless of any pre-arrangements in place, had a "Sharps Container" in the room upon embarkation.

We just ask the stateroom attendant for one. No problem. I have never been asked on the ship, nor by TSA, for my prescription either, but have copies just in case.

My syringes require refrigeration, and I travel with a case I get from my parmacy which has an insert for a frozen flask to keep them cool. No one pays any attention to them, neither the security on the ship nor the airport.

Marlee

i too travel with prefilled syringes and inject three times a week. We have never, on any line, regardless of any pre-arrangements in place, had a "Sharps Container" in the room upon embarkation.

We just ask the stateroom attendant for one. No problem. I have never been asked on the ship, nor by TSA, for my prescription either, but have copies just in case.

My syringes require refrigeration, and I travel with a case I get from my parmacy which has an insert for a frozen flask to keep them cool. No one pays any attention to them, neither the security on the ship nor the airport.

Marlee

I have had a sharps bin waiting in stateroom on 3 cruises, 2 Navigator, 1 Indy, never a problem. you really need to take either a prescription or letter from pharmacist stating why you are carrying sharps, this isn't an RCCL requirement, but a customs/boarder requirement. If you cannot prove why your carrying sharps you can be turned away from chicking in, thats at a port or airpot. I have been diabetic almost 30 years and it's always been the same. Google it, see for yourself :)

I have a somewhat related questions. My boyfriend and i are very allergic to bee and wasp stings. We are both paramedics and instead of carrying an Epi Pen we just have our own multi-dose vials and syringes. The service we work for allows us to stock a bag for out personal vehicles since we live in such a rural community and ambulance response times can sometimes be long. Would I have a problem with any of that since we don't have a Rx for it? I can get a Rx for an epi pen but I don't want to waste the money since the last couple I've had expired and I never had to use them... knocking on wood!

Not so concerned about the ship, but we are getting off in 3 ports and just want to be prepared.

I have a somewhat related questions. My boyfriend and i are very allergic to bee and wasp stings. We are both paramedics and instead of carrying an Epi Pen we just have our own multi-dose vials and syringes. The service we work for allows us to stock a bag for out personal vehicles since we live in such a rural community and ambulance response times can sometimes be long. Would I have a problem with any of that since we don't have a Rx for it? I can get a Rx for an epi pen but I don't want to waste the money since the last couple I've had expired and I never had to use them... knocking on wood!

Not so concerned about the ship, but we are getting off in 3 ports and just want to be prepared.

Could you maybe get a note from your Dr. stating you use this in the same way as an epi pin would be used? Just a thought because I know my copay for my epi is 180.00 so don't blame you for not wanting to get one.

I have had a sharps bin waiting in stateroom on 3 cruises, 2 Navigator, 1 Indy, never a problem. you really need to take either a prescription or letter from pharmacist stating why you are carrying sharps, this isn't an RCCL requirement, but a customs/boarder requirement. If you cannot prove why your carrying sharps you can be turned away from chicking in, thats at a port or airpot. I have been diabetic almost 30 years and it's always been the same. Google it, see for yourself :)

When traveling in an airport you are only required to have the bottles/pens with the medication name/prescription on the outside. You don't need a separate letter. We just put the pens in the original box for travel.

DH has diabetes and we've crossed several times and received our information from the TSA and US Border/Customs websites.

Could you maybe get a note from your Dr. stating you use this in the same way as an epi pin would be used? Just a thought because I know my copay for my epi is 180.00 so don't blame you for not wanting to get one.

Getting a note wouldn't be a problem. I just wasn't sure how well that would work. Like you said, the pens are expensive. Not to mention, one vial and a couple syringes would do for the both of us and cost only a few dollars, and we already have them.

I have a question for those of you that have to take shots often. I have to take 3 allergy shots a week and was wondering if I can go to the infirmary in order to discard my needles. I don't want to put them into a regular trash and risk someone accidentally getting poked. I know I don't have any transmital disease but wouldn't want someone worried about getting something from the poke. Also, how do I need to transport these thru security? I know I will need a Dr's note but do they require a certain container when carrying them? I have only been taking the shots for a few months so haven't had to travel with them yet so any information is appreciated (we will be driving also so no need for airline rules).

When you board ask your cabin steward for a sharps container. He will get you one from the dispensary. Use it on board and when you leave seal it and place it the trash or alert your cabin staff and it will be disposed of. I don't know about all airlines but I carry a lot of medications to travel make sure they are in your carry on. If your luggage got misplaced you will have the medication with you. I know about the two ounce rule but medicatiion is medication. If they try to take it ask for a supervisor no medication is taken from passengers. Also if your medication needs to to stay cool you can get covers that you refridgerate and store them in. They are sold in travel stores. When you travel with insulin these are a must.

Archived