What do you need to entertain toddler

cruzinlisa

Okay, I am trying to figure out exactly how much stuff I really need to bring to entertain my 14 month old. I know that bunny and ele(phant) that she sleeps with will be coming along, and maybe a couple of little baby type of toys (rattles or plastic keys) that I can keep in the diaper bag for dinner, but do I need to bring anything else. I know she will probably go stir crazy because there will not be a lot of room for her to wander around. SHe is in to toys but due to a busy schedule, she does not play with toys at home as much (mostly just at baby sitters' :()- so there are not a lot of must have toys. Ideas?:confused:

I think you're overestimating how "stir crazy" she'll go....there's a lot of new stuff on a ship to see....

Most cruiselines have a "toy exchange", where you can get a few new/different toys every so often...that could be an option, so you won't have to bring too much. Check with your specific line to see if that is offered!

I would buy a "duck tub", so she can splash on the pool deck....diapered babies aren't allowed in the pools, and being able to splash about will keep her entertained for some time! (Don't forget the sunscreen, tho!) Plus, most cabins only have showers, so it will help with bathing! Most babies don't like showers!

Do bring a stroller....perfect for naps while you're out and about.

When we sailed w/ DS at 15 months, we packed his must-have toys that he slept with, bubbles, the blow up pool for our balcony, a couple small board books since reading to him was part of our bedtime routine, and a couple little toys, like the kind you get as party favors or happy meal toys that were age appropriate to have handy during meals. We figured we'd keep close tabs on his loveys, but anything else, I wasn't worried if we lost them, got left behind, etc. We didn't ened to bring much. What also helped was grabbing a couple boxes of cheerios or a banana in the morning to have handy since while we would be waiting for a meal to be served or when just seated, he would have a quick fingerfood snack which he'd play with on his tray as much as he'd eat. We were on NCL which had a toy room for the babies so we'd stop in there for a little while each day for him to play, and he loved exploring the ship and waddling around. During the day, when the lounges are generally empty, he would walk around the lounge, just climbing on chairs and walking between the rows.

I bet she'd love something as simple as a few plastic containers and a blow up tub full of water! They always seem to like the box more than the toy, right? So go with that mentality! Exploring something as simple as a bucket of water can be so entertaining!

If you're bringing a stroller, bring a tray table with it (if it's an option on yours). Built-in table whether playing with toys or trying to eat some new food.

Yes, grab a few extras at breakfast. Cheerios are handy (but froot loops and frosted flakes will do in a pinch). Bananas are good. If there's cartons of milk, grab a couple to use throughout the day.

We did a transatlantic with a 17-month old. Didn't need anything special. He sat at the table with us at dinner (I forget if he used a booster or not), tried some of the foods; loved the rolls and the desserts too of course. Breakfasts consisted mainly of bacon and a fruit platter. In the room, when he wasn't exploring, he liked to perch himself in the window area (had an oceanview room). He'd just look out there, soaking it all in.

I plan on finding a cute toy shop in one of our ports and getting some nice things there for the kids. This way they get a new toy, I don't have to pack anything, and a souvenir all in one.

Plus the toy shops in Europe (especially Italy and the Med) are SO nice-they put the US ones to shame! I've also seen some adorable toy shops in the Caribbean. Not sure where you're sailing to?

Also, a PP mentioned bubbles-my kids love them and I have no problem with them. (DD is on the patio using them as we speak) However, I have heard many a complaint from travelers about bubbles irritating people. They cause slippery surfaces (not something you want to cause on a ship), they make a mess on glass, especially people's eye glasses. Just food for thought. Maybe bring them in case you go to the beach?

Yes, grab a few extras at breakfast. Cheerios are handy (but froot loops and frosted flakes will do in a pinch). Bananas are good. If there's cartons of milk, grab a couple to use throughout the day.

FYI--

Only prepackaged foods are allowed to be brought off the boat. Cereal is OK.

Most cruiseship in-room fridges are really coolers and do not get as cold as your fridge at home. Be careful of spoilage from this.

1. Mine was 2 & 2 days on his first cruise.

2. We over packed & shipped stuff home from our first port of call - Cape Canaveral.

3. Besides his lovie, he liked flipping the pages in his book & coloring.

4. Beyond that, he had enough stimulation seeing new stuff - he started out freaked out by the open elevator - by the end we rode it up & down & up & down (Without hindering the other riders.) - so we explored more than trying to entertain him in one spot.

FYI--

Only prepackaged foods are allowed to be brought off the boat. Cereal is OK.

Most cruiseship in-room fridges are really coolers and do not get as cold as your fridge at home. Be careful of spoilage from this.

This is a good point! The ice bucket kept milk colder than the fridge (and lasted overnight!).

During the day I let my 15-month old run around and explore the nightclub (totally empty). There was also an arcade that was pretty empty and had room to run, also one of the teen rooms during the day when no one was in it. I brought some toys but he really did not play too much with them-so many new and exciting things to see and do on the cruise!

Something to consider (I started doing this after one trip during which we managed to lose some of her toys): getting those paper tags that you can attach to keys and putting your contact info (like a cell #, not your home address, and cabin number) and attaching to each toy, if you can. Can help if your child somehow misplaces a beloved doll.

On our last cruise, I even did this for the webkinz I took on our cruise (she had her own "lanyard" with a sign and sail card). See my avatar.

At the age of your little one, you can bring a few new toys appropriate for her age and space out the appearance of them during the week. Some cruiseships have coloring books and crayons that the waitstaff will bring out during meals. But you can also put some crayons and a small coloring book in a ziplock bag and have ready to bring to meals, just in case.

Archived