Lido lovers...

Hawaiidan

Scottsdale... if it is a bone maybe we can make it a prime-rib bone amigo. I apologize sincerely.... but on the otherhand they are still selling a lot of the emperors new clothing when you dine on the Magic Beans they serve in the Dining room.

On fromal night I wear my Geves Hawks bespoke overalls with the electric woody wood pecker tie... to preserve a bit of diginity.

Ok ok, calm down about the dishes in the hallway thing. I saw them when on my cruise and figured that's what HAL did. Chill folks, it didn't need 5 responses of the same answer.

Don't put them in the hallway.

I didn't use room service after the 1 time they screwed up my order twice, so I always ate outside of the cabin. I didn't tend to bring anything back from the lido to the room except a drink so the glasses I just left in the bathroom in the morning so they would see them and remove them.

Sing it, Ariawoman! I got your back:cool:.

Plenty of people leave their trays in the hallway. I did, too, until I read here that it was a no no. Since then, I've really noticed how disgusting they look, and if I were in a wheelchair I'd be inclined to throw the dishes at the cabin door. Not really...:rolleyes:. But many people do it, so many that it falls under the heading of "minor faux pas", really, and not "imminent danger to passenger security".

Sing it, Ariawoman! I got your back:cool:.

Plenty of people leave their trays in the hallway. I did, too, until I read here that it was a no no. Since then, I've really noticed how disgusting they look, and if I were in a wheelchair I'd be inclined to throw the dishes at the cabin door. Not really...:rolleyes:. But many people do it, so many that it falls under the heading of "minor faux pas", really, and not "imminent danger to passenger security".

There is a danger to passenger security should an emergency evacuation be necessary. The hallways are much narrower than those in a hotel and passengers should not have to worry about tripping over meal trays. In a power failure people would not see them and they would certainly fall over them.

Plus they do look disgusting.

Ok. I enjoy good food, I enjoy fine dining, and have been a long time cruise passenger on many lines from Luxury to Bilge Rat.

I read the raves of this dining venue and that. I appreciate that if thats what you desire

On our last cruise 29 day, we went to the Pinnacle for lunch once, Tirmarand twice, the main dining room earily seating 3 times and found that over all we really enjoyed the relaxed and flexable Lido.

I found too that everything in the Main Dining room was also in the Lido, including lobsters! and cooked to order steaks... SO for 24 days we ate there and loved it..

We too noticed as the cruise went on more and more friends were joining us in the Lido... tired of the 2 hour dinner, and all the hub-bub...

My question to all of you is, Have you or are you too enjoying the Lido more and more. as we?[/quote]

Yes, I enjoy eating in the Lido! :)

I totally get the need to "dine" on vacation. It is a luxury I as a mom and wife enjoy immensely as lets just say usually I am the chef, waitstaff, and chief bottle washer in our abode. When "dining" is paired with excellent food, sign me up. But that is not always the case.

We look at the MDR menu and then look at the Lido menu. We might even split up, both take cameras, take pics of the menus, and meet up for a discussion about what we want to do that night. Sometimes the MDR fare is completely underwhelming and/or the Lido has something that I know they will do very well. That's a Lido dinner night. Lab chops, salmon, lasagna... all Lido favorites. We are foodies and have eaten at or in dives, hole in the walls, push carts, table stands at farmer markets, carnival booths, and you name it all over the place so venue to me is secondary to taste, freshness, and quality. I go where the good food is and the Lido can and often beats the MDR on that as well as convenience.

I would love to skip the 2hr ordeal as we are fast eaters & have an 8yr old who would rather be doing something else than waiting for dinner.

TY

Our 10 year old son informed me this last cruise that a dinner that takes 2 hours is for the birds. I had to giggle. I can imagine for a 10 yo it could be torture so we always do a pre-dinner and take him to the Lido and then he is off to the kids club. Then we dine at our leisure.

We had 4 tables of excellent dining companions in the MDR for lunch and dinner this last cruise so the time went quick. :)

Always open seating. Plus we are late eaters and even if we do opt for the MDR it is generally 7:45 or later.

I guess I am in the minority but I am happy to share a table with anyone and discuss anything (outside the usual "momma said to never talk about money, politics, and religion") from the minutia of your daily life to loveliness of your grand babies to your upcoming excursions to the weather. My background is in sales and I can have a conversation with a brick wall so it is what it is. If you find that rude, I'm sorry. I won't force myself on you but I will try to start small talk just because to sit their in blank silence staring at each other for 2 hours is rude in my book. Plus, I have met some of the most interesting people and heard some of the most amazing stories all because someone broke the ice with a "Where are you all from?"

Ok. I enjoy good food, I enjoy fine dining, and have been a long time cruise passenger on many lines from Luxury to Bilge Rat.

I read the raves of this dining venue and that. I appreciate that if thats what you desire

On our last cruise 29 day, we went to the Pinnacle for lunch once, Tirmarand twice, the main dining room earily seating 3 times and found that over all we really enjoyed the relaxed and flexable Lido.

I found too that everything in the Main Dining room was also in the Lido, including lobsters! and cooked to order steaks... SO for 24 days we ate there and loved it..

We too noticed as the cruise went on more and more friends were joining us in the Lido... tired of the 2 hour dinner, and all the hub-bub...

My question to all of you is, Have you or are you too enjoying the Lido more and more. as we?[/

Yes, I enjoy eating in the Lido! :)

You insist on highlighting parts of posts that you quote - and seem to always screw it up. :rolleyes:

I thought it was just us who got to the point of "I don't care where you are from, how many kids you have, what you do for a living, or any of your medical conditions....." If DH and I are traveling alone, we are happy to dine alone, breakfast alone, go ashore alone........

Sure, if we meet people along the way that we enjoy, it's nice to have a drink with them, chat when you run into them etc but if we don't come with friends, we plan to dine at 'our' table.

I endorse all of the above. ;) I do find that the less people talk about the topics listed above, the more I seem to enjoy their company. And, DW and I like doing things as a "couple". So, tablemates are not necessary for us to enjoy a meal.

The only time we eat in the Lido is a port day, when the MDR is closed for lunch.

When we are on vacation, I want to be served. Not have to jump up and down to serve myself.

I recall never having "to jump up and down to serve myself" (in the Lido), when there were TRAYS!!! :mad:

I have never had dinner in the HAL lido, although I have enjoyed breakfast and lunch there.

Once I had dinner at the Lido (or equivelent) on a Celebrity cruise. We were docked in San Juan and came back to the ship too late for our seating. It was beautiful to sit at the outside deck and see all the lights of the harbour.

Bingo

If I wanted to carry my own plate and not bother dressing for dinner, I might just as well stay home.

That said - There was one evening on our European cruise a few years back where we were all just too worn out from a long day ashore to get dressed and go down for dinner...

...and Room Service was most capable in delivering several plates of entrees & desserts that we all shared and passed around the suite.

You sound like my mother. She HATED cafeteria style.

My question to all of you is, Have you or are you too enjoying the Lido more and more. as we?

Aloha DAN:

I always eat breakfast and lunch in the Lido. If I do not want to spend two hours at the dining room table I also opt for the Lido. I also do this if my blood sugar is bad because I can control portions better in the Lido. But I do eat often in the dining room. on the lower level.

Mahalo and Aloha!

'My question to all of you is, Have you or are you too enjoying the Lido more and more. as we?'

Most people dine in the Lido so they don't have to dress up for the dining room and can 'enjoy' their dinner in their underwear...

'My question to all of you is, Have you or are you too enjoying the Lido more and more. as we?'

Most people dine in the Lido so they don't have to dress up for the dining room and can 'enjoy' their dinner in their underwear...

Do you not wear underwear to dinner? I am sure there is a rule for that somewhere. On second thought, never mind... tmi. :D (ducking and running for cover...)

Wow, SirPMP, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what? Nasty and uncalled for. Not to mention totally incorrect. I happen to enjoy the Lido for dinner because I have better things to do with my time than spend hours in the MDR. I realize you're just trying to get a rise out of us Lido lovers and I shouldn't have taken the bait, but your posts many times are just downright irritating and rude. Take a chill pill and stop being so nasty. Didn't your Mom ever tell you that you get more flies with honey?:rolleyes:

When I used to drive to Napa I remember driving over the Napa River on these big bridges.... I always wondered if trolls lived under those bridges.

I guess we all know now..... someone must have given one a internet access.:rolleyes:

We just discovered this interesting bit of info on our past HAL cruise - it seemed everything on the MDR menu was also being served in the Lido (we were late coming back from a landtour). We also didnt know they put out table clothes and napkins during the evening hours there obviously we dont frequent the Lido area at night....It is a great alternative but we still prefer the MDR when possible.
Just off the Noordam and only dined in the MDR twice. The menu in the Lido Restaurant is essentially the same as the MDR, but we found the Baked Brie appetizer and Creme Brulee dessert unavailable. Fortunately, the sous chef visited our table and I mentioned the Creme Brulee, and voila! Two of 'em!

Really? You put your tablecloth and candle on the table? Fill the salt/pepper shakers, sweetener containers? Wrap the flatware in a napkin and put it on the table? Set the glassware that is on the tables at dinnertime?

Then, when you've finished eating, you take all your dirty dishes to the backrooms so they can be washed? And clear off the tablecloth and candle?

You're one in a million.

Isn't all that why we pay for the cruise?

Wow, SirPMP, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what? Nasty and uncalled for. Not to mention totally incorrect. I happen to enjoy the Lido for dinner because I have better things to do with my time than spend hours in the MDR. I realize you're just trying to get a rise out of us Lido lovers and I shouldn't have taken the bait, but your posts many times are just downright irritating and rude. Take a chill pill and stop being so nasty. Didn't your Mom ever tell you that you get more flies with honey?:rolleyes:

Thank you, AssateagueIslandPrincess: you were much more polite than what I have been. This person has on more than one occasion been extremely rude and very condescending, but I don't think he will change. Some people just like to be that way. As my DH put it, he "does not play well with others".

As my DH put

My mother also taught me that you didn't go out in publick looking like a rag-muffin. Although my DH and I do dine a large number of our evenings in the Lido we also enjoy spending an evening at Canaletto's.

Our first two cruises, we toted along all of the evening wear, and did dine in the MDR. But not anymore - after being pushed, shoved, tripped and stepped on by persons who felt they were more privilaged than others, we really got tired of the "I'm better than you are" attitude, the two hour meals and service that was little to none or so suffocating that you couldn't enjoy your dinner. Therefore we choose to go to the Lido. AND we have more room in our luggage for other things rather than suits and dressier clothes.

And like Hawaiidan -we like being able to "build" our own meals - IT IS ALWAYS HOT and and we always find a very nice window table. The stewards ALL make sure that we have what we need and are always close by in case we need something. We have met some wonderful people and find we enjoy them a great deal more, because they are there to enjoy the cruising experience and have so many wonderful stories to tell.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Archived