Passport in Port

mebfalcon

You are considered in transit, not having actually entered the country. I know, sounds legalese, but in fact that is what it is, as a cruise passenger you do not have to have a passport to enter any Caribbean country.

While this is true at present things are changing,many countries now require immigration control for transit passengers,and may be true for closed loop cruises from USA but a prime example is you cannot transit USA without a valid USA visa or authorisation to travel and going through USA immigration transit or not.

Not really relevant to USA cruisers doing a closed loop at present but 911 caused the changes and many countries are adopting this proses with some countries enforcing it on USA citizens only in a sort of tit for tat.

Den

No Caribbean country is going to require passports for cruise ship passengers from US ports.

Barbados once, in a fit of pique, decided to require passports for cruise ship passengers because the US tightened the rules for citizens of Barbados entering the US. The cruise lines simply announced that they would no longer stop in Barbados. The government of Barbados then "clarified" their announcement by saying they meant that passports would be required for cruise ship passengers who began or ended their cruises in Barbados.

I want to clarify myself as I don't think I was clear previously: I am not saying that any country requires a PP to visit there. I am saying that these countries require identification, just as we do in the US, & that if you are visiting there your choice of acceptable identifying documention needs to be on you, not the ship, just as it is here. As you were...

I want to clarify myself as I don't think I was clear previously: I am not saying that any country requires a PP to visit there. I am saying that these countries require identification, just as we do in the US, & that if you are visiting there your choice of acceptable identifying documention needs to be on you, not the ship, just as it is here. As you were...

That is why they announce on the ship before you leave port to also bring your picture id along with your sail and sign card.

I am a state law enforcement official and have a good handle on these things having been assigned in cities in FL where there are ports over my career. I learned the ins and out of this stuff and over the years have always left my PP in the safe in the cabin and carried my S&S Card and DL with me in and out of ports.

With that said, a couple of years ago my DW's uncle was on a cruise to the Bahamas for a weekend off shore fishing expedition while in port with his fishing buddies. The Sensation has a voyage that spends the night in Nassau so they do this frequently since the ship is docked long enough to make the fishing worthwhile. While out fishing, he slipped and broke his collarbone and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. Meanwhile, the ship sailed and so did his PP that was in the cabin safe. None of the fishing buddies thought to clean out the safe when they got his toiletries and suitcase from the cabin to take to the hospital. Once released from the hospital, he took a cab to the airport and bought a ticket back to FL, but wasn't able to come home since, you guessed it, his PP wasn't with him. I ended up having to get it from one of the buddies who found it when they disembarked in FL, fly to Nassau and take it to him, and fly back.

He sat in the Nassau airport for about 16 hours waiting on me and his PP.

Now I carry my PP on me in port - murphy's law says I will NEVER need it while I have it on me!!

I am a state law enforcement official and have a good handle on these things having been assigned in cities in FL where there are ports over my career. I learned the ins and out of this stuff and over the years have always left my PP in the safe in the cabin and carried my S&S Card and DL with me in and out of ports.

With that said' date=' a couple of years ago my DW's uncle was on a cruise to the Bahamas for a weekend off shore fishing expedition while in port with his fishing buddies. The Sensation has a voyage that spends the night in Nassau so they do this frequently since the ship is docked long enough to make the fishing worthwhile. While out fishing, he slipped and broke his collarbone and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. Meanwhile, the ship sailed and so did his PP that was in the cabin safe. None of the fishing buddies thought to clean out the safe when they got his toiletries and suitcase from the cabin to take to the hospital. Once released from the hospital, he took a cab to the airport and bought a ticket back to FL, but wasn't able to come home since, you guessed it, his PP wasn't with him. I ended up having to get it from one of the buddies who found it when they disembarked in FL, fly to Nassau and take it to him, and fly back.

He sat in the Nassau airport for about 16 hours waiting on me and his PP.

Now I carry my PP on me in port - murphy's law says I will NEVER need it while I have it on me!![/quote']

LOL! Talk about a "duh" moment.

See, if the buddies had told the port agent what happened and that the person was in medical care on the island they would have gotten the ball rolling with the cruiseship. So the safe would have been accessed and the passport left with the port agent and then reunited with the holder.

Archived