Passport in Port

mebfalcon

You'll get varying opinions on this.

The main reason folks say to take them, is what happens if you miss the ship? Without a passport, you can't fly to the next port to catch up and you'll be waiting a while for a lot of paperwork to get done to eventually get you home.

That being said, I've never taken my passport into ports with me. So far, so good ***knock on wood***

You'll get varying opinions on this.

The main reason folks say to take them, is what happens if you miss the ship? Without a passport, you can't fly to the next port to catch up and you'll be waiting a while for a lot of paperwork to get done to eventually get you home.

That being said, I've never taken my passport into ports with me. So far, so good ***knock on wood***

Yuuuuuup. Pretty much sums it up. Some also carry to get stamped, but getting those varies as well.

Enjoy your cruise.

I take mine simply because "never go anywhere without an official ID" has been drummed into my head since the day I got my driver's license & I consider my PP to be more "official" than my DL when outside the US. I may never need it, but I still take it. I just can't get past it... LOL YMMV

I can't believe this topic comes up in so many threads.

Let me make it easy "You do not need to take your passport with you at any cruise port. All you need is your S&S card and a photo ID like a drivers license."

It's as simple as that. But what you end up doing because of your own neurotic behavior is your own business.

I have been told that if, for some reason, you are not on the ship when it is departing, they will go into your cabin and see if your passport is in your safe (where it should be) and give it to the port representative.

Don't know if that is true or not, though.

We never take our passports because the odds of losing it are greater than the odds of missing the ship. We do have a copy of it with us and a photo ID along with S&S card.

If you bring your passport and license in port and you lose your belongings, then you will not have any ID at all. I suggest to leave your passport in the cabin safe. Bring a copy with you along with your license and S&S when in port.

I was on the Splendor trip where 22 people were robbed at gunpoint(no one physically hurt) and they took everything from them, including their passports and DL. In Russia, we had to show our passport to get off and on, so I am thinking in Europe might need to take them, but I found on Caribbean and Mexico cruises, not the same. I would make a copy of my passpost and carry that with me if I was corncerned(not neurotic behavior

like Lucky Z said -not nice Z)and that is what I do.

Also, I would suggest making a copy of your credit cards(front and back) and leave them in your safe with the passport-that way, if you lose them, you will have the info on the back where to report them lost.

Better safe than sorry.

I was on the Splendor trip where 22 people were robbed at gunpoint(no one physically hurt) and they took everything from them, including their passports and DL. .

I've carried an expired passport and an expired DL with me on shore when it is "dicey" along with a wallet full of nothing other than some "bathroom" money. The real DL is in my neckbag (attached to my bra strap so it hangs down the side rather than a tell-tale string around my neck) along with "serious" money and credit card.

I figure if I get mugged, they will be around the corner and down the street before they realize they have a handful of nothing. I, of course, will run the opposite direction. I will, also, throw my cross-chest bag as far away from me as I can when they ask for it.

If you bring your passport and license in port and you lose your belongings, then you will not have any ID at all. I suggest to leave your passport in the cabin safe. Bring a copy with you along with your license and S&S when in port.

I can't see where a photocopy of your PP would be of any use at all. It is not valid for travel that I am aware of and if you have other ID's that is covered too. If your shore excursion is overland across a national border you will need your PP. with you, We had this in Alaska. You should have a photocopy so if your passport is lost/stolen you have the information for reporting/replacement but not to carry with you.

Hopefully these links will work:

The Cayman Islands Tourism webpage detailing entry requirements:

http://www.caymanislands.ky/cruise/entry_requirements.aspx

The Jamaica Embassy webpage detailing entry requirements:

http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/VISnorthamericanvisitors.htm

I will carry my identifying documents with me. If I am required to possess them to enter their country, they have the right to stop me at any time and question the validity of my presence there. In this day and age of Photoshop, I wouldn't feel comfortable handing the person questioning me a copy of anything. He/she may be feeling lenient that day, or, with my luck, they'll be having a horrible day already & feel the need to share the bounty. YMMV

p.s. - I have to thank the abrasive poster that called me neurotic: I decided to research the question to find out if I was, indeed, being neurotic & I've decided that I'm not. But thanks, anyway!

A state driver liscense and a photo copy of your passport are worthless out side of your livingroom.

Actually not quite true. A drivers license can be used as id for some port of entries getting back on ship. Some ports require a picture id.

Hopefully these links will work:

The Cayman Islands Tourism webpage detailing entry requirements:

http://www.caymanislands.ky/cruise/entry_requirements.aspx

The Jamaica Embassy webpage detailing entry requirements:

http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/VISnorthamericanvisitors.htm

I will carry my identifying documents with me. If I am required to possess them to enter their country, they have the right to stop me at any time and question the validity of my presence there. In this day and age of Photoshop, I wouldn't feel comfortable handing the person questioning me a copy of anything. He/she may be feeling lenient that day, or, with my luck, they'll be having a horrible day already & feel the need to share the bounty. YMMV

p.s. - I have to thank the abrasive poster that called me neurotic: I decided to research the question to find out if I was, indeed, being neurotic & I've decided that I'm not. But thanks, anyway!

You are not required to have a passport in port at those countries. But feel free to bring yours on shore.

You are not required to have a passport in port at those countries. But feel free to bring yours on shore.

& I will. But, I feel like I must have misinterpreted what I read on their websites. Can you please clarify the parts that I obviously misunderstood? Thank you.

& I will. But, I feel like I must have misinterpreted what I read on their websites. Can you please clarify the parts that I obviously misunderstood? Thank you.

I didn't read the sites. I know what is required while cruising. If you are on a closed loop cruise from the U.S. a passport is not required.

I didn't read the sites. I know what is required while cruising. If you are on a closed loop cruise from the U.S. a passport is not required.

You're exactly right. I must have misunderstood the OP's question. I thought they were asking if it was needed to enter another country while on the cruise not whether they'd need it to reenter here. My bad! :(

A state driver liscense and a photo copy of your passport are worthless out side of your livingroom.

Not so! in the event of a lost or stolen passport outside your own country a photo copy with other official ID will help your foreign embassy to issue emergency travel documents and help ascertain the validity of your citizenship claim.

While none of this is rarely needed on a cruise to regular ports for short visits close to home its not such a good idea to become too complacent about not bothering with your official travel ID when outside your own country, your passport is issued for a reason and you should always photo copy or have digital images of relevant pages kept separate.

The true time you may need it may just be the time you left it behind.

Even if I lived in USA I would still take my passport or copy with me ashore in a foreign country because that is what it is intended for,not to be locked away in a safe somewhere you are not.

Just my opinion:)

Den

You are considered in transit, not having actually entered the country. I know, sounds legalese, but in fact that is what it is, as a cruise passenger you do not have to have a passport to enter any Caribbean country.

You are considered in transit, not having actually entered the country. I know, sounds legalese, but in fact that is what it is, as a cruise passenger you do not have to have a passport to enter any Caribbean country.

Hmm... that's interesting. One more thing to research. Why don't they specify those things on their sites so people wouldn't have to worry about it?! LOL

Archived