Major marine difference in tours

treinke

We will be in Seward for a couple of days after our cruise and plan on going on a major marine tour. Trying to decide between the 4hour kenai floods wildlife cruise at 6 pm to the 3hour resurrection bay glacier and wildlife cruise at 2pm. We aren't super interested in whales. We want otters and puffins along with scenery. Has anyone taken either of these? I'm concerned about the 6pm one although I know it will be light the whole time.

I would like to know this also. I feel we will see glaciers calving the day in Glacier Bay and am not thrilled about whales. I want to see seals, sea lions, otters, and puffins.

And Saturday, March 31 is the last day to book online with the 20% discount.

I have not taken these tours but I have been on Resurrection Bay quite a bit and am very familiar with that bay. The 3 and 4 hour tours basically make an oval around the entire bay. There are some glaciers along the route, but these are relatively small. The bay is actually a fjord that was formed by the glaciers thousands of years ago. It has almost vertical walls in places and is quite deep even near the shore. There are several rocky islands in the outer part of the bay. That is where you are likely to see the otters (although I have seen them close to the town) and other animals.

The 8 hour tours go out of the bay and around the point to the next fjord over. There, there are more glaciers. I have been there too and it is quite pleasant.

Once we were out with my bil on his 35' boat. We anchored in a a place called 3 hole cove-which is around the point from Resurrection bay. While we were broiling steaks on the bar-b-que, a humpback whale cane in feeding on herring. Now, this whale broke the surface about 15 feet from the boat. Herring were spilling out of its mouth. It was HUGE. That was something!

I never recommend or would consider any boat tour of Kenai Fjords with less than 6 hours on the water. There is a significant difference between the distance, which the farther you go, the more you see.

I would like to know this also. I feel we will see glaciers calving the day in Glacier Bay and am not thrilled about whales. I want to see seals, sea lions, otters, and puffins.

And Saturday, March 31 is the last day to book online with the 20% discount.

There is no comparism to any glacier viewing from a cruise ship and a boat tour, superior from the boat tour. IF you want to see the wildlife in your list, you HAVE to have a tour of at least 6 hours on the water. No less.

I agree that a longer tour would be better. You will see stuff on the short tour, but it will not be as much as on the longer tour.

Keep in mind that the shorter tours are offered (and popular) because they are cheaper and shorter. Many people can't afford a long tour or don;t want to spend the time (or don;t have the time) to take a long tour.

The short tour meets those needs-but they are not optimal. They are more of a market filler.

I agree with Budget Queen and AKman2495. The longer the tour the better.

The hubby and I have been on two Major Marine Kenai Fjords tours, and both were excellent. Both times we had excellent NPS rangers, and the sound system was great so you could easily listen to the narration by the ranger. And the meals were excellent.

I agree that a longer tour would be better. You will see stuff on the short tour, but it will not be as much as on the longer tour.

Keep in mind that the shorter tours are offered (and popular) because they are cheaper and shorter. Many people can't afford a long tour or don;t want to spend the time (or don;t have the time) to take a long tour.

The short tour meets those needs-but they are not optimal. They are more of a market filler.

If the tours can't be afforded, my opinion would be to spend the limited funds elsewhere all together. The short Kenai Fjords tours aren't "cheap" either.

It is true that the 3 hour and 4 hour cruises experience the same area in Resurrection Bay. The main difference is that the 3 hour cruise is really a quick scenic cruise around the bay - wildlife is a bonus - and the cruise only offers snacks for purchase. On the 4 hour trip the extra hour allows you more time to look for wildlife, and the tour offers the add-on all-you-can-eat Alaskan salmon and prime rib buffet. It is a dinner cruise. The 3 hour trip is good for people who just want a quick trip on the water and don't have a lot of time in town. The 4 hour trip is a good option if you have other things planned during the day in Seward, like a kayak trip, or hiking at the Exit Glacier, or dog sledding - stuff you would do on a day time trip. The 6pm cruise allows you to fill your day with fun stuff, then relax and unwind on an evening cruise with dinner. Just depends on how you want to spend your day in Seward.

We had bad weather so on 2 different trips our cruise became a Bay tour instead. BORING! Total waste of time. We saw cliffs, forests, rock formations, sea lions, a couple of bald eagles; same scenery as you'll see most days during your 7day cruise. We saw a couple of mountain goats too, but you can see those along the Turnagain Arm if you pay attention.

I recommend a tour that visits Aialik Glacier .... it's wonderful to sit quietly in the boat and listen to the glacier creak and groan then finally calve.

Archived