Vancouver Fireworks

tetleytea

I didn't find this mentioned much in this forum, so I thought I'd bring it up, for those still planning their vacations:

http://www.celebration-of-light.com

Vancouver has fireworks in late July/early August. This is really cool, because it's a uniquely-Vancouver event. They shoot the fireworks from a barge in the English Bay, and you get to see tons and tons of yachts in the Bay for the event. Also for Americans it's interesting, because you get to see a big fireworks show for something that's not July 4th. Kind of gives you a different perspective.

About 500,000 people go see it, though, so--LOTS of people!! Traffic is crazy. If you're able to just walk to your downtown hotel from the waterfront, you'll probably just want to do that.

What... you think Americans only have fireworks on July 4th??? You need to visit us more often. I live in So. California. With all the amusement and baseball parks here, we see fireworks most nights during the summer months. We even have fireworks inside our hockey stadiums -- GO MIGHTY DUCKS!!! :D Just kidding about the hockey stadiums.

tckhales - Are you talking about Temecula as the Wine Country - So Calif? If so then howdy neighbor! The Celebration of Lights is actually a Fireworks Competition with the last night being an hour and a half show between three countries. The closest thing I think we could compare it to down our way would be the KGB Sky Show but I don't think they do that anymore with the new Baseball Stadium.

tetleytea - I was looking into going to that very event on 08/06. Our hotel is on Burrad Street, the Sheraton. Do you know if that is a far walk and how safe it would be doing it at night?

Thanks,

Misty

The celebration of light is a truly specatular fireworks display and isn't the usual. Not too many people get 300,000 gathered on the beaches to watch normal fireworks. These guys compete internationally. There are three countries each with their own night and then the final night is the winner.

A lot of the cruise ships actually hang out in the harbour before leaving Vancouver. It's a great viewing spot if you're lucky enough to be leaving on one of those nights.

It is safe to walk in downtown vancouver at night - it will be wall to wall people and traffic is restricted in the area - it is truly spectacular event - hope that you will enjoy it

Cheers from Vancouver

Dennis

I'm not a local to Vancouver, but I think the walk is safe from viewing area to downtown hotel. It is indeed standing-room-only full of people the entire way home. So only thing is I'd be paranoid of potential pickpockets/purse thieves, just due to the sheer number of people.

As far as how far the walk is, I think the further you're willing the walk, the better your viewing spot. Looks like the fireworks barge is shooting from the dead middle of the bay, so--look at a map & choose accordingly. I ended up parking a car just west of Granville Island during the daytime & did stuff on Granville Island until it came time. We were pretty close to the barge, but no way you can walk to Burrard St. from there.

As far as shooting fireworks any time of year, I'm learning that. :) I just came from South Carolina yesterday, where they're legal all year. :) I dragged my wife to at least 7 fireworks stores. :p

Archived