Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Thanks for the report, Lynn. I will be doing something similar (though from West Terminal - going to Suomenlinna first, then walking around the city).

I hate to ask, but on your trip, in general, was there more cloudiness/light rainy periods than sunshine, about equal, or what? I need to plan accordingly! Thanks!

Edited by roothy123

Thanks for the report, Lynn. I will be doing something similar (though from West Terminal - going to Suomenlinna first, then walking around the city).

I hate to ask, but on your trip, in general, was there more cloudiness/light rainy periods than sunshine, about equal, or what? I need to plan accordingly! Thanks!

Our day in Helsinki was sunny & 70. It was the only day we had total sun during the cruise. Be prepared for showers and rain (it poured for 2 hours in Tallinn). I'd say it was more cloudy than sunny. The temperatures were between mornings in the mid-50s to highs of 70. After our first stop in Tallinn there was a rush in the on-board shops for rain gear!! At our stop in Warnemunde (we stayed locally...didn't do Berlin), it was a beautiful sunny, warm morning. At 2:00 the clouds rolled in, the temperature dropped and it got really windy. Thought it would rain, but it didn't. You really have to be prepared for everything. Even if the day looks good to start, I'd take a light rain jacket/umbrella with you because it really could change fast. I was glad I'd taken my 3-in-1 rain/fleece jacket. It got good use either for the rain or for warmth.

Lynn

3-in-1 rain fleece jacket sounds like a good idea. I live in a pretty-reliably warm or cold place (Wash DC) and have nothing like that. Do you mind if I ask how much yours cost, and if you had to go to an REI store or anything special like that for it?

Hi Lynn,

I'm happy to hear all went well. The weather being what it is you got very lucky ;) Glad you enjoyed it and saw the ship coming in. It looks even scarier from the ship!

3-in-1 rain fleece jacket sounds like a good idea. I live in a pretty-reliably warm or cold place (Wash DC) and have nothing like that. Do you mind if I ask how much yours cost, and if you had to go to an REI store or anything special like that for it?

I bought it at a golf store end-of-season sale. It was $50. It isn't water proof, just water repellent. If it poured, I'd eventually get wet. I feel the cold so probably dress warmer than most people. You'd most likely be fine with a sweat jacket or sweater and a water repellent jacket. If it's pouring you could use an umbrella as well. I wouldn't spend big money getting a water proof jacket as they can get pretty pricey. Perhaps the weather will change by the time you sail and it will be warm and sunny (like it was on our Baltic cruise in 2007).:D

Lynn

Thank you Sinny for all your patience in answering our questions! I have learned so much.

I was wondering where you find the 3 Tram once you are at the Central Railway Station. Is it inside the station, outside?

Many thanks

We arrive on Emerald Princess Sunday Aug 5. Do you know if the Market is open on Sunday?

Hi there!

It's open everyday in the summer :)

So are most of the shops and restaurants as well.

I think I read somewhere here about a good gelato place in Helsinki.....anyone remember this?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk 2

Hmmmm. We have plenty of ice cream stands in the summer and many cafes that sell ice cream. I've been told many times that Finnish ice cream is best in the world (I love all ice cream, so can't really guarantee that ;))

Could you answer a quick question - when people are talking about the market square to get a boat to the fortress to they mean the touristy one by the cruise port or do they mean the Hakaniemi. I want to get the tour round the fortress at 2 pm but am trying to find out how to get there. Everyone makes it sound so easy but with a short time in one place I don't want to get lost. Thanks.

Could you answer a quick question - when people are talking about the market square to get a boat to the fortress to they mean the touristy one by the cruise port or do they mean the Hakaniemi. I want to get the tour round the fortress at 2 pm but am trying to find out how to get there. Everyone makes it sound so easy but with a short time in one place I don't want to get lost. Thanks.

They mean the one from the Market Square. And it's not actually touristy, people living on Suomenlinna island use the same ferry to commute.

Thank you. I just looked again at the beginning of this thread and I saw you had given the proper name for the market so I'm able to look it up. I wasn't being offensive about the touristy it was what someone else had written.

No worries, I wasn't offended. Just thought I'd point out that the ferry is reliable and the same to everyone :) it even takes two cars!!

Sinppu-

Quick question for clarification. My ship is docking at Hernesaari. I plan to take the bus from Hernesaari to the Esplanade/Market Square area.

I can take Bus 16 or 14B, correct? Do they both pick up at the same stop at Hernesaari? What's the name of the stop at Esplanade/Market Square area to get off at?

And do both 16 and 14B return me back from the same area (but I guess across the street, going the other direction) from Esplanade/Market Square to Hernesaari?

Thank you!

Sinppu-

Quick question for clarification. My ship is docking at Hernesaari. I plan to take the bus from Hernesaari to the Esplanade/Market Square area.

I can take Bus 16 or 14B, correct? Do they both pick up at the same stop at Hernesaari? What's the name of the stop at Esplanade/Market Square area to get off at?

And do both 16 and 14B return me back from the same area (but I guess across the street, going the other direction) from Esplanade/Market Square to Hernesaari?

Thank you!

Hi,

16 will take you to Market Square.

14B will take you to the Rock Church, but NOT to Market Square.

The stop will be called Kauppatori (Market Square in Finnish).

And yes, the stop is on the other side of the road :)

Hi,

16 will take you to Market Square.

14B will take you to the Rock Church, but NOT to Market Square.

The stop will be called Kauppatori (Market Square in Finnish).

And yes, the stop is on the other side of the road :)

Thank you! I want to do Market Square first, so I will look for bus 16!

I appreciate the help!

Sinny -

Quick question.

What do you suggest between these two routes:

From Hernesaari, take 14B to Temppeliaukio. Visit and then return back on 3B tram on to Sibelius Monument, and possibly Olympic Stadium. Continue on tram to Senate Square. Visit Lutheran Cathedral. Perhaps walk over to Uspenski. Wander back to Market Square. Ferry to Suomenlinna, walk around the island (no guided tour). Ferry back and wander around Market Square before taking Bus 16 back to Hernesaari.

or

From Hernesaari, take bus 16 to Kauppatori. Take ferry to Suomenlinna, wander around (no guided tour). Ferry back to Market Square. Wander and eat at Market Square. Board 3B tram to Temppeliaukio and visit. Continue on 3B tram to Sibelius and maybe Olympic Stadium. Back on tram to Senate Square. Visit Lutheran Cathedral. Maybe walk over to Uspenski Cathedral. And then continue wandering around Market Square until it's time to board Bus 16 back to Hernesaari.

Ok, a few other questions (I lied!). If I take 14B to Temppeliaukio, what is the name of the stop so I know when to get off? Is the bus stop for Temppeliaukio the same as the stop for the 3B Tram? Or does Bus 14B drop off near the front, where I would need to wander back downhill to continue on 3B Tram?

Also, how far is the walk from Senate Square over to Uspenski Cathedral? I did Lutheran Cathedral last time I was in Helsinki, but I haven't done Uspenski, and this time I'd like to try and get over there.

Thanks for your help!

Sinny -

Quick question.

From Hernesaari, take 14B to Temppeliaukio. Visit and then return back on 3B tram on to Sibelius Monument, and possibly Olympic Stadium. Continue on tram to Senate Square. Visit Lutheran Cathedral. Perhaps walk over to Uspenski. Wander back to Market Square.

Ok, a few other questions (I lied!). If I take 14B to Temppeliaukio, what is the name of the stop so I know when to get off? Is the bus stop for Temppeliaukio the same as the stop for the 3B Tram? Or does Bus 14B drop off near the front, where I would need to wander back downhill to continue on 3B Tram?

Thanks for your help!

Can't answer your questions, but I found this brochure really helpful:

http://www.hel.fi/wps/wcm/connect/abc675804a17376d92e2fa3d8d1d4668/3T_english_2007_net.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Can't answer your questions, but I found this brochure really helpful:

http://www.hel.fi/wps/wcm/connect/abc675804a17376d92e2fa3d8d1d4668/3T_english_2007_net.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

thanks, I've already downloaded this one! I've been to Helsinki before, so I'm familiar with it. But I was more familiar with Bus 16 and not 14B. I'm just not sure if 14B makes their stop at the same place as the 3B/3T at Temppeliaukio

Sinny -

Quick question.

From Hernesaari, take 14B to Temppeliaukio. Visit and then return back on 3B tram on to Sibelius Monument, and possibly Olympic Stadium. Continue on tram to Senate Square. Visit Lutheran Cathedral. Perhaps walk over to Uspenski. Wander back to Market Square. Ferry to Suomenlinna, walk around the island (no guided tour). Ferry back and wander around Market Square before taking Bus 16 back to Hernesaari.

or

From Hernesaari, take bus 16 to Kauppatori. Take ferry to Suomenlinna, wander around (no guided tour). Ferry back to Market Square. Wander and eat at Market Square. Board 3B tram to Temppeliaukio and visit. Continue on 3B tram to Sibelius and maybe Olympic Stadium. Back on tram to Senate Square. Visit Lutheran Cathedral. Maybe walk over to Uspenski Cathedral. And then continue wandering around Market Square until it's time to board Bus 16 back to Hernesaari.

Also, how far is the walk from Senate Square over to Uspenski Cathedral? I did Lutheran Cathedral last time I was in Helsinki, but I haven't done Uspenski, and this time I'd like to try and get over there.

Thanks for your help!

I think the first suggestion is better. Otherwise you'll be in the same area twice.

The bus and tram stops are not the same. They are quite close to each other anyway. You'll get closer with the tram and they are easy to find -just follow the tracks :)

You can get off either at Kauppakorkeakoulut (wow that word must look terrifying to you) or Apollonkatu. From both stops it's a few minute walk up the hill to the church. If you sit on the right hand side of the bus, you'll see the stop names better (and if you miss the first stop you'll see a glimpse of the church as well).

The walk between the two cathedrals is about five minutes. Uspenski is on a small hill so it's easy to see.

We are having some nice weather coming our way, I hope it'll be around long enough for you to enjoy!

Thanks Sinny! I appreciate the suggestions. I think I'll go with the first route too. I never thought about it that way, but you are right. With the second route, I'd spend a lot of time in Market Square and will have come back to it twice.

When I'm sitting in the bus, is there a sign inside the bus or some sort of announcement as to what the next stop will be? Or is it just based on the signs on the street that I need to be watching for inside the bus?

Oh, and I assume that Bus 16 and 14B have the same stop at Hernesaari? Do they come around about the same times, or does one bus come more often than the other?

I'll be there in about 3.5 weeks, I hope the nice weather lasts too!

Edited by jstducky