Reviews First Topic -- HAL's Food

dag144

Interesting thread. We are foodies and found the food pretty sub par overall. The only exception was le cirque and tamarind, but I don't think you should have to pay a dinner supplement. We had heard a lot about pg but the dishes were poorly executed,

The food portions in the MDR were quite small. The meat was overcooked. The choices were odd particularly for a Caribbean cruise (lamb kebabs? Curry?)

The best food they had consistently was in the Neptune lounge!

I too agree with Judy and her food comments. I also have to eat a no or very low salt diet. I do, however eat beef. I've had a very hard time ordering on my past cruises. My veggies have come with added salt and sauce and ditto for some of my entrees even though I've ordered them the night before. Steamed veggies, a baked potato, plain fish, chicken, are staples for me. Why oh why can't they have sweet potatoes?

My DH has become bored with the food selections even though he's not trying to eat healthy. ( I wish he were).

I too feel they are lowering the basic quality of the food.

We had the best HAL food cruise on the Noordam this time. We found it was all about using your brain and not just order the biggest hunk of animal flesh they threw on the menu every night. That I find to one of the biggest problems. Red meat by in large is the hardest thing to cook to everyone's liking. Ask any one who has done this. That is when folks get their nickers in a wad when lamb chop 1,972 of that evenings dinner setup is not cooked just to the right level of pinkness. I mean, really people. :rolleyes:

If everyone would go with the assumption that maybe they shouldn't simply order what would cost the most off a conventional land based menu and branch out some for what possibly could be the best flavors and freshness on the menu, they might be surprised. We ordered the veggie selection a few times. The mushroom ravioli, the gnocchi, and the mushroom risotto in the MDR were fantastic, best mushroom risotto I have ever had. In the lido, the fresh made lunchtime paninis and soups were a great lighter choice as were the Grill options near the pool. They really do an excellent simple very juicy chicken sandwich and the sweet potato fries... /drool. The lidos apricot glazed salmon was light and moist and perfect. Another tip in the lido, see what is on the grill NOW... and wait for it, especially if it is fish. Fish that had sat in in a hot tray for 15 mins is always bad.

Branch out folks... cruise food is not just about steaks ansd lobster tails and stuffing yourself to the point of needing a new size britches. Try something new. If you don't like it, they will always bring you something else. :)

Why oh why can't they have sweet potatoes?

That is a change I would approve of and how!! A good baked sweet potato beats a regular one in my book any day of the week. And they are just as easy to make. :)

I agree it is not what it was last year or 5 years ago. Carnivalization and the quest for corporate profits have degraded all the lines. That being said HAL and Maasdam are still favorites & better than the rest!

Please explain what the term Carnivalization means..I've never understood it..Carnival Corp & plc acquired HAL in 1989....The President/CEO of Hal is on the Board of directors of Carnival Corp & plc..But, HAL is an autonomous cruise line & Carnival Corp & plc does not have anything to do with the day to day operations...Are you inferring that Carnival has decided, 23 years after the acquisition, to become involved & has been the catalyst in the way HAL is purchasing & serving their food?

I beg to differ with you about Carnival's quest for Corporate profits..Agree, for the first time in years Carnival is paying small dividends & their stock has finally increased in the last few years, & as a stockholder I welcome this.. Wouldn't you want your stocks to increase?.

However, as we age our tastes in food change, mostly because our bodies have changed & many of us have a few medical problems..We've also been warned about eating beef, gravies, creamed sauces on a daily basis & we want to live longer than our Parents so we can travel more!..:):)As other posters have said I no longer will eat beef every night.. Most Cruise lines & Restaurants should understand the requirements of their clientèle & change their way of purchasing & cooking food..

Also suggest you look back & see what you have paid for your cruises since you started cruising.. I've kept all of that info since we started to cruise on a yearly basis in the early 90's..The prices of our cabins have not significantly increased & kept up with inflation..But prices of food has significantly increased & kept up with inflation.. Therefore, HAL as well as other lines, now are must purchase the lesser cuts of meat, & serve smaller portions if they are to survive..

My only complaint which I've always had on board & in some land based establishments, is that the soups are not hot enough...After a few times of cheerfully asking for "Hot, Hot soup" or sending it back, our Stewards get it & they sometimes even encourage me to order the soup..DH is the opposite, his soup can be luke-warm & he'll still eat it...:eek::eek:

Cheers....:) Betty

Too often I see white tomatoes in salads, the choice beef was select a few years ago and today's prime was choice. Most cheese is from pasturized milk and not very flavorful and unless you find an artisan baker the breads are tasteless. Unless you are willing to pay top dollar for ingredients or at a fine restaurant, you generally get what you expect for the price. I wonder if the burgers on board are made with pink slime.

Too often I see white tomatoes in salads, the choice beef was select a few years ago and today's prime was choice. Most cheese is from pasturized milk and not very flavorful and unless you find an artisan baker the breads are tasteless. Unless you are willing to pay top dollar for ingredients or at a fine restaurant, you generally get what you expect for the price.

Agree..100%

I wonder if the burgers on board are made with pink slime.

Oh No..Please say it isn't true..:eek::eek::(:(:eek::eek:

I have been sailing lines from Royal Viking, Regent, Cleb, Holland and Oceiana.

I like good food. I have professional Cordon blu training. I have dined at most of the best reatauraunts in the world from French Laundry, to Joel Robichon, to name a few. I dont see any problem with food quality and taste.

It is very subjective to say food has declined. on my last Holland america cruise for 30 days... I found nothing even remotely poor. I dont go to eat steak or lobster, nor burgers and Pizza. I find the Lido superior to most other venue because I can create exactly

It may have declined in your mind because you continued to nurture a growing expectation of continued imrovement. After your first great meal might the expectation for the next be higher? Maybe we just psyche ourselves up. and spend too much time patting ourselves on the back.. Such cosmopolitan taste we have.

I enjoyed tricking many foodies and wine geniuses with really average products, that I hyped and presented to feed their ego.. Like shooting fish in a raiin barrel.

Ask the princess about the pea......:rolleyes:

And the bottom line... could you, at home, or in the ships kitchen turn out something better? I know I would be pressed to.... but what do I know

I can be happy with a pinks chili dog or a tornedo rossini.... its all relative. Enjoyment it personal.

Jean Sheppard once wrote that people omy really like meat and potatoes and they onl eat other stuff to impress each other..

Upcoming: a cruise on some yet to be determined HAL ship somewhere fun

That is a change I would approve of and how!! A good baked sweet potato beats a regular one in my book any day of the week. And they are just as easy to make. :)

fatcat04,

If you haven't yet decided why not join us on November 26, 2012 11-day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer on the Noordam. You can do all things you missed the last time around. How about some tips, faves, what not to miss, what to avoid. Thanks.

alibaba1

For the price you pay, the food is adequate. Sure it's gone down in quality, but all things being equal, cruising is still a bargain. You want cheapo food? Try NCL. The cruises are usually cheaper, but the food is terrible. Just my opinion of course.

Archived