Reviews First Topic -- HAL's Food

dag144

I look at the Boards prior to a cruise, and lucky me, I will be on the Maasdam on Good Friday for my 25 HAL cruise. Yes I like cruising and like HAL as well.

I always write and read reviews (my latest Nieuw Amsterdam and Ryndam Jan. & Feb. 2012).

Has anyone noticed that many of the general food complainants are from first time cruisers who expect that they are in a Ritz or Four Seasons hotel for a bargain Sheraton price. Food on HAL and its middle of the road competitors is fine, like banquet food at a nice but not spectacular wedding.

Where can you get a room, food, entertainment, and travel for the cost of the cheapest HAL cabin?

Love to here what you experienced cruisers think

P.S. I will write a review of my forthcoming Maasdam cruise leaving this Friday, 4/6.

You can check out my other reviews of previous cruises.

Yes, I will have a bon voyage.:):):):):)

I look at the Boards prior to a cruise, and lucky me, I will be on the Maasdam on Good Friday for my 25 HAL cruise. Yes I like cruising and like HAL as well.

I always write and read reviews (my latest Nieuw Amsterdam and Ryndam Jan. & Feb. 2012).

Has anyone noticed that many of the general food complainants are from first time cruisers who expect that they are in a Ritz or Four Seasons hotel for a bargain Sheraton price. Food on HAL and its middle of the road competitors is fine, like banquet food at a nice but not spectacular wedding.

Where can you get a room, food, entertainment, and travel for the cost of the cheapest HAL cabin?

Love to here what you experienced cruisers think

P.S. I will write a review of my forthcoming Maasdam cruise leaving this Friday, 4/6.

You can check out my other reviews of previous cruises.

Yes, I will have a bon voyage.:):):):):)

But I will still wish you a bon voyage!!!!

I have noticed numerous people commenting on food - I think there may be more negatives from newer cruises and it may well be expectations.

food is always subjective and you can't please everyone - but I have seen a significant difference in food on some of the ships. Some really fabulous and some just so-so. So, it can depend upon the person's taste, the ship they are on and even the week.

I don't know what some people expect. I have always found the food tasty and some damn good. I thought that I would never go to a specialty restaurant until my first time at the Pennacle Grill.Love it, love it, love it.

Were else can you get stakes like that for an extra $20.00.

I think that for a cruise, all the food provided, entertainment, Thi Chi, etc. this is a bargain price. No valet tipping, for each night out. The gratuity per person, per cruise is well worth it.

I think people order food they do not like at home and expect it to taste different on the ship .

Bn Voyage!!

We noticed that the Maasdam was a little heavy on the salt in many dishes and the quality of the beef in the dining room has gone downhill.

I agree it is not what it was last year or 5 years ago. Carnivalization and the quest for corporate profits have degraded all the lines. That being said HAL and Maasdam are still favorites & better than the rest!

I'm a pretty good cook. But I think that any time I can go someplace, have 3 better-than-decent meals a day, food in between, entertainment, drinks, things to do, places to go, people to clean up after me, no dishes to wash -- all for the price of a cruise -- it would have to be really really awful for me to complain! :)

Food is not as good in general as it used to be, but agree 100 percent that this is the best value for a dollar ( 1st HAL 7 day cruise was 600 for a solo room 400 a person for a couple this was 1977) also Pinnacle and many other specialty resturants offer a great value at 25 a person, we are spending 2 nights pre and post cruise in NYC and hotel alone is 400 a night.

Three things I really enjoyed this past cruise:

The ability to choose 4 cheeses from the cheese menu for dessert (I never ordered a dessert!).

The quality of the breads, rolls and raisin buns. MMM.

The Indian foods in the Lido at lunch. Korma, masala, naan! Terrific.

The vegetable options were terrific, as well. Cold soups were still a winner. We enjoyed everything.

dag144...agree with you completely. It is banquet food that is often 'dressed up' a little.

Sometimes it is very good, other times it is just mediocre. We find quite a bit of variance between ships and between cruises.

It still a great travel value. Let's face it, if you are gourmet type you are hardly going to select one of the mass market cruise lines solely for the food.

Their grocery list is of less costly items. They are being creative with the ingredients they are using but I don't think there's any question, costly items are becoming scarce on HAL menus.

Each one has to ask if it is good value for our money? Of course, that depends how much money we pay for the cruise. :D

The saying is: "You get what you pay for" but what about you want to get what you pay for?

It seems to me that the overall quality has declined somewhat, in part because of what Sail said, less costly items, and I think if service slips, we tend to feel the overall experience has declined, which for many leaves us with the feeling that the quality has declined.

I have noticed that, at least for us, that what we order has as much of an impact as anything. We have been on cruises where comments have been abundent regarding the decline in quality of food; and we had absolutely wonderful meals (fyi, we are very fussy about food). For example, we will rarely order an "available everyday" item, preferring to go with the daily menu items. Just our experience, but they seem much better to us.

Ken

I feel the food on cruise ships in general, has been on a steady decline over the 20 years I've been cruising. Maybe its just my tastes maturing, I don't know, but I absolutely can tell you the food today just is not as good as it was. HAL is no exception. But, I will say, I think HAL is heading in a little better direction. I was so disappointed in the food being served in the MDR for the last 10 years, I ate dinner in the PG almost every night. To me, the upcharge was well worth it for improved food and service. The last cruise I was on, was May 2010 on the Amsterdam. Since I was traveling with relatives, I only ate in the PG once. I actually found the food and service in the MDR had improved. Maybe it will be even better on my next cruise on HAL.

Now, all that said, I do not want to make it sound like the food in the MDR is bad, because its not bad. I just always felt the PG was much better for the small upcharge and I like the more intimate setting and service better than the MDR.

It seems to me that the overall quality has declined somewhat, in part because of what Sail said, less costly items, and I think if service slips, we tend to feel the overall experience has declined, which for many leaves us with the feeling that the quality has declined.

I have noticed that, at least for us, that what we order has as much of an impact as anything. We have been on cruises where comments have been abundent regarding the decline in quality of food; and we had absolutely wonderful meals (fyi, we are very fussy about food). For example, we will rarely order an "available everyday" item, preferring to go with the daily menu items. Just our experience, but they seem much better to us.

Ken

I am almost the opposite, Ken. :)

I try hard to control my weight.... add me to the list of those who was always slim but as I aged, developed medical conditions, started taking medications, I got a bit bulkier.

Because we cruise so often, I have to be just as careful what I eat when we cruise as I am at home.

That means for me the always available items are very important.

I don't order any dishes with high fat, lots of cream of butter, high calories, lots of sauces, high sugar (bad) carbs......

I want a very good piece of fish, a lean chicken breast, occassionally a steak but rarely.....

I have read the menus very carefully on our recent cruises and the ingredients are fairly evident to anyone who does much cooking. There are very few things that I feel 'comfortable' ordering even though they are marked 'vegetarian'. Yes, but with how much butter, bread crumbs, white rice etc? It is getting hard for me to dine from those menus and I cannot be the only frequent cruiser who wants healthful, tasty, low fat/low cal interesting entrees? It can be done but are they doing it?

Those always available items are a staple to me and I hope each cruise they are of decent quality, seasoning and preparation.

I love vegetables and the always available steamed veggies mean the difference in I had an enjoyable meal to I'm leaving this dining room hungry. I can't eat the same thing every night for 14 nights and say I enjoyed it. I need some options.....

Just me? :confused: I don't think so.

Food is subjective...and sometimes we wonder just what people are eating in RL??

Our last RCI cruise found the food over salted in many cases. If you are used to eating take out foods or frozen prepared foods..you may not notice the salt.

I don't order beef unless in a specialty. Steaks in the MDR are more like shoe leather..often dry and tasteless.

So we have learned what is "safe" to order in the MDR and save things like steak for the specialties that we don't mind paying an upcharge for. And we have taken to eating alot on shore on port days. Many fabulous restaurants... for instance on early morning port days...we eat a big lunch and then eat light for dinner back onboard.:)

We also eat many lunches ashore on certain itineraries. On our Canada/New England cruises we just about never have lunch on board.

In the Caribbean, I actually prefer Lido lunch to the MDR as I can make salad the way I want with the tiniest just right amount of dressing for me. :) Breakfast and lunch on the ship are much easier for me. I can have egg white omelette with veggies for breakfast in Pinnacle and enjoy it. Whole grain bread toasted and coffee and I'm a happy cruiser.

We enoy dinner in Pinnacle and Tamarind and go a number of times each cruise.

Sail,

You have echoed my sentiments exactly! Having reached my mid 50's and now having some issues that I never had to deal with when I was younger, I am now being very careful with my diet. Giving up my beloved carbs, eliminating sugar, adding more whole grains, etc. On our last HAL trip this past December, I really struggled with the MDR menu. We ended up eating in Pinnacle almost every night. At the risk of getting run off of the HAL boards, I'd like to suggest something to you. Try a Celebrity Solstice class ship and their Blu dining room. They bill it as spa cuisine, and while I don't know that I would classify it as such, it really was much healthier dining than what I have experienced on most mass market lines. Having said that, we did go back to HAL and our next cruise booked is also HAL, simply because there are many other things that we prefer on HAL than Celebrity (HMC and the Neptune Lounge for two main reasons), but that cuisine in Blu makes Celebrity a close second to HAL, and we probably will do another Celebrity for that very reason.

Food for thought (no pun intended)

Paula

Judy:

I don't disagree with your comments. We too prefer more sensible eating. So for example, a rack of lamb that is grilled with rosemary seasoning would be up our alley. Most know that a dish with added butter and rich sauce will usually taste better, but as you said, is not as healthy. A well prepared salad meal can be extremely tasty, while meeting our health requirements.

My point was more toward items such as a sirloin steak. To me, with cost containment in mind, it is much harder to find a tasty sirloin steak on a ship. We love fresh fish also, but have grown weary of most North Atlantic salmon dishes due to the frequency we have eaten it, not that it can't be well done. Now if we are in the Northwest, and Copper River or the like is offered, we will always order it.

So my comment is more directed at the possibility that 6 pax at a table can order 6 dishes and end up with 6 different opinions about the quality of the food.

Glad that I started this thread. This will be my 25th HAL cruise and number 44 if I make it to Good Friday. Obviously I love HAL and love to cruise for many of the reasons that you have.

My point in starting this discussion was not to criticize HAL food service, but rather to point out that often we get what we pay for. However, regarding cruising, we get much more than we pay for, at least I think so.

Lets rejoice in our cruising. If we meet first timer who expects that dinner will be like the French Laundry in the Napa Valley, lets point out to our first timer that the bill at the French Laundry would pay for quite a few nights any one lady of our Grand HAL fleet!

Let's cruise:):)

Sail,

You have echoed my sentiments exactly! Having reached my mid 50's and now having some issues that I never had to deal with when I was younger, I am now being very careful with my diet. Giving up my beloved carbs, eliminating sugar, adding more whole grains, etc. On our last HAL trip this past December, I really struggled with the MDR menu. We ended up eating in Pinnacle almost every night. At the risk of getting run off of the HAL boards, I'd like to suggest something to you. Try a Celebrity Solstice class ship and their Blu dining room. They bill it as spa cuisine, and while I don't know that I would classify it as such, it really was much healthier dining than what I have experienced on most mass market lines. Having said that, we did go back to HAL and our next cruise booked is also HAL, simply because there are many other things that we prefer on HAL than Celebrity (HMC and the Neptune Lounge for two main reasons), but that cuisine in Blu makes Celebrity a close second to HAL, and we probably will do another Celebrity for that very reason.

Food for thought (no pun intended)

Paula

Hi Paula,

I've read about Blu but it is a puzzle to me.

They have what sounds like a great healthful dining room but do not permit suite guests to dine there? :confused: Folks in lower cost cabins can eat there but not someone paying more? We book Suites so even if we were willing to try "X" again (which we are not), we could not dine in the restaurant that interests me. Makes no sense to me but in any case, IF we were to stop sailing HAL, we would stop sailing.

We sailed "X" back when it was Chandris. We sailed once after RCI bought them and we knew we would not return and we have not.

It's HAL for us or we go back to other style vacations.

kenevenpar

Judy:

I don't disagree with your comments. We too prefer more sensible eating. So for example, a rack of lamb that is grilled with rosemary seasoning would be up our alley. Most know that a dish with added butter and rich sauce will usually taste better, but as you said, is not as healthy. A well prepared salad meal can be extremely tasty, while meeting our health requirements.

My point was more toward items such as a sirloin steak. To me, with cost containment in mind, it is much harder to find a tasty sirloin steak on a ship. We love fresh fish also, but have grown weary of most North Atlantic salmon dishes due to the frequency we have eaten it, not that it can't be well done. Now if we are in the Northwest, and Copper River or the like is offered, we will always order it.

So my comment is more directed at the possibility that 6 pax at a table can order 6 dishes and end up with 6 different opinions about the quality of the food.

I'm looking forward to salmon for lunch and dinner on our Oosterdam cruise in Alaska. I will be a happy lady. :)

As someone who has worked in the foodservice industry for all of my life I have to say that I am amazed at what we get for the money. I always find something I like and while I don't love everything I am impressed at what they are able to do. Food cost for restaurants have escalated the last few years at such high levels not seen in many years. This is due to many factors and many have not been able to survive. And while the economy is certainly a factor it is increasingly more difficult to serve high quality food without major price increases. Just wanted to add my perspective. This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

We are recently off the Ryndam, and felt the food was better than on the past few cruises. The soups were usually fine (and not too salty). One addition we were thrilled to see was the salad option was more creative, larger and fresher. Not only that, but every night they offered that salad with chicken or beef added as an option. Nice for those of us who are wanting veggies.

Our server learned early that our table of 4 wanted the steamed veggies every night, and so brought us a platter to share between us. I do feel that there aren't enough greens served with the main course, so that solved the problem.

Archived