Muster station concerns

bluehenfan

Someone posted on another site on CC that she was concerned about how lax her muster drill was handled during a recent cruise, and this was someone who had no mobility issues. Up until now my illness was at a point where if there was an actual major emergency I could somehow make it down stairs - not quickly but I could have done it. Now illness has progressed to the point I am not able to go more than a few feet without using wheelchair or scooter. I have another cruise booked for Sept. on the Carnival Pride. I was told by someone who is also mobility challenged that on his recent Pride cruise, during the drill, he was directed to use elevator to get to special handicap muster station. Why is it not safe for 90% of passengers to use elevators during emergencies, but okay for those with wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, etc? Also once at muster station, if it turned out to be a major emergency what happens? I mean, they couldn't even keep the Captain on a sinking Concordia, and crew members as well as passengers were in a panic. Who is going to come evacuate the people who can't walk off the ship? (think I'm a little nervous about being so dependent on scooter or wheelchair for 1st time). To those with more experience with limited mobility issues, please tell me more about your muster drill. I only had one experience with this and was guided to ship's library with a few others. Nobody gave us any instructions and once we saw people walking by on their way back to their cabins we all just left the library. At that time I still had ability to walk unaided as long as no steps were involved. Also never thought a real major "the ship is sinking" emergency could ever really happen. Thank you for any information.

Someone posted on another site on CC that she was concerned about how lax her muster drill was handled during a recent cruise, and this was someone who had no mobility issues. Up until now my illness was at a point where if there was an actual major emergency I could somehow make it down stairs - not quickly but I could have done it. Now illness has progressed to the point I am not able to go more than a few feet without using wheelchair or scooter. I have another cruise booked for Sept. on the Carnival Pride. I was told by someone who is also mobility challenged that on his recent Pride cruise, during the drill, he was directed to use elevator to get to special handicap muster station. Why is it not safe for 90% of passengers to use elevators during emergencies, but okay for those with wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, etc? Also once at muster station, if it turned out to be a major emergency what happens? I mean, they couldn't even keep the Captain on a sinking Concordia, and crew members as well as passengers were in a panic. Who is going to come evacuate the people who can't walk off the ship? (think I'm a little nervous about being so dependent on scooter or wheelchair for 1st time). To those with more experience with limited mobility issues, please tell me more about your muster drill. I only had one experience with this and was guided to ship's library with a few others. Nobody gave us any instructions and once we saw people walking by on their way back to their cabins we all just left the library. At that time I still had ability to walk unaided as long as no steps were involved. Also never thought a real major "the ship is sinking" emergency could ever really happen. Thank you for any information.

IMHO, most ships do not have enough elevators to handle 80% of pax at one time (like in an emergency). Just look at crowds for the elevators at dinner time. But can handle the 10% that are mobility challenged.

I was just on the Pride. I was very interested in the Muster Drill as I can not use the stairs. They were well organized and I thought quite professional in their Drill. Yes, we were directed to utilize the elevator, there was a crewman stationed at the doors. When we got to the muster station, we were directed to a lounge near the muster deck. There we went through a detailed briefing of what would happen. Your name should already be on the Carnival Special Services list of those needing assistance. They have assigned crew to make sure all disabled passengers that are on the list are safely accounted for. I felt very comfortable in this system. In case of a real emergency, they assured me they could get my 215 lbs down the stairs. Don't worry and enjoy the Cruise. The Pride is a great ship and has a great crew.;)

On our Legend cruise, before the Concordia disater, I thought they were much more organized than our Triumph cruise. On Legend, they directed us to the library, took our name/cabin number, asked lots of questions about mobility, etc. We asked for a bracelet for one DS who could never evacuate by himself (he is non-verbal and is afraid in crowds), like the bracelet they give kids. They were happy to comply. Even though DS is always with us, unless he is taking a nap in the cabin, my concern is that if we got separated in an emeregency, how would somebody know he needed help? The bracelet fixes that and alerts the crew that DS needs help. Our cabin steward also had it noted on his sheet that DS is disabled and told us it is his responsibility to check the cabin in an emergency and help evacuate if necessary.

Thanks! I feel better. I just thought elevators weren't used due to possible power outages and had visions of being stuck on an elevator. Never thought about it being a crowd issue. I know I'll be fine! Just not use to depending on others. VTSAIL, hope you saw my message about sharing 7260 !! LOL

Archived