Ecstasy? More like misery.

I think new cruisers make the mistake of judging all cruises by probably one time incidents of "human error" (which you can't take out of the equation no matter if you went to Harvard or the local community college) and one cruiseline experience. RCL is not equal to Carnival nor is Carnival equal to RCL and neither (IMO) are greater than.

Judge a cruise vacation by a cruise vacation, then judge if you want to try another company.

"Gee, I really love my room cleaned and freshened twice a day and cute towel animals left on my bed, nothing but on the horizon but the water meeting the sunset, having a designated driver (captain) and all my entertainment, food a few feet or so away from my bed, I love laying in the sun half the day, and going to Senior frogs etc."

"But I sure would have liked a rocky climbing wall, a mall in the middle of the ship, extra pay restaurants, a zip line, and a Aqua stadium off the back."

So, you like cruising, but maybe another line is best for you.

Most everyone on this site loves cruising, though we may disagree on what we like about it, who to cruise, where to go, and what exactly constitutes a chair hog, but..........one commonality is all we need.

Give cruising a chance........forget its a Carnival ship. Pay attention to what a cruise vacation offers this go round.

HEH?

I read this a few times to try to understand how it relates in any way to OP's problem.

Still not seeing it.

They have an available Grand Suite with Extended Balconies for that cruise, I would demand an upgrade for free (but I'd settle for the original $348).

That's exactly what the DW got. It seems the office manager at her firm is a Carnival Platinum member or some such a thing, and she found a cabin (U98) with a large balcony. They wouldn't upgrade for free but we were originally willing to pay the upgrade so I told her to go for it.

when we re-booked our excursion it ended up costing more though, I'm mildly miffed about that, but I'm too tired to argue any more.

That's exactly what the DW got. It seems the office manager at her firm is a Carnival Platinum member or some such a thing, and she found a cabin (U98) with a large balcony. They wouldn't upgrade for free but we were originally willing to pay the upgrade so I told her to go for it.

when we re-booked our excursion it ended up costing more though, I'm mildly miffed about that, but I'm too tired to argue any more.

Super! Call it a day and ENJOY your cruse:)

Glad something worked out. I would call and have them rebook you at the original price though.. There bad so they should be able to fix that

Super! Call it a day and ENJOY your cruse:)

I am determined to have fun on this trip. It might take a few cocktails to get into the spirit of things, so to speak. But I have partied in a disaster zone, this should be just fine.

(No, really, the last time I tried to go on a "lie on the beach and do nothing" vacation we had a near miss with Hurricane Mitch. They drained the hotel pool, took down the satellite dish, boarded up our windows, closed the beach... so I bought some Cubans, a bottle of tequila and we made our own party)

Moral of the story:

When the upgrade fairy calls with temptations,

and you know you already have a nice 'aft extended balcony' cabin booked..

say No Thank You, Fairy :)

You got it right, people make there problems, if you want a better cabin do it when you book, most fairy deal are not that great, you will pay for it, but they sure can sucker people in. Alot of problems from people on this forum are from changes they want to make. You do it you put up with the problems. The fix all is not calling a supervisor and everything will be alright. Most times we only get half the story.

You got it right, people make there problems, if you want a better cabin do it when you book, most fairy deal are not that great, you will pay for it, but they sure can sucker people in. Alot of problems from people on this forum are from changes they want to make. You do it you put up with the problems. The fix all is not calling a supervisor and everything will be alright. Most times we only get half the story.

I agree, no deal would be worth this much trouble. Next time I'll just pick the cabin I want the first time and tell them no. Actually, we did pick the cabin we want, where I went wrong was not telling them NO right away when they called. Had I stuck with the original cabin everything would have been fine.

But all is well that ends well.

I definately agree with you, especially since we are talking about the Ecstasy. She's nice but definately not shiny & new!

I have a bit of experience with ships, albeit of the cargo variety. It is unrealistic to expect a seagoing vessil to be spotless and for everything to work perfectly. There's a lot of entropy involved in floating around the ocean being tossed about by the waves and such.

But there, in the back of my mind is my father saying: "pleasure boat? that's an oxymoron".

I second this. You will have a great time. If not write off Carnival and cruise elsewhere. In anycase, I truly hope your cruise is good.

I'm going to have fun no matter what else happens. In fact, I plan on pre-gaming starting tonight just to be sure I'm in the right frame of mind.

We're having vodka marinated salmon for dinner, here's my recipe:

Cook some salmon

Eat the salmon

Add vodka and marinate.

I'm going to have fun no matter what else happens. In fact, I plan on pre-gaming starting tonight just to be sure I'm in the right frame of mind.

Cook some salmon

Eat the salmon

Add vodka and marinate.

Sounds good.

It sounds like in the long run they're at least making it worth it for you to go. Still stinks about the excursion, but I hear they're cheaper to buy them right on the pier instead of the the CL anyway, maybe you should just do that and then Carnival doesn't get a cut of it at all.

Cook some salmon

Eat the salmon

Add vodka and marinate.

I'll have mine without the salmon:p

Off topic slightly--We have been on Ecstasy 3 times. If you decide to go, and I hope you do, take some bottled water with you. Unlike other ships we have been on, the water on board is NOT tasty. Don't know why, but it was awful.

but they've magically found us that same upgrade at the original price.

Excellent! Now, call it a day, relax, and enjoy your suite. We had U97 on Fantasy (sister ship) - I think you'll love the cabin. :)

Off topic slightly--We have been on Ecstasy 3 times. If you decide to go, and I hope you do, take some bottled water with you. Unlike other ships we have been on, the water on board is NOT tasty. Don't know why, but it was awful.

Thanks for the tip, I think we'll do that.

"I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d**kless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey s**t he is! Hallelujah! Holy s**t! Where's the Tylenol?"

love it!

Hope it works out for you. :)

I don't think it was the Executive who screwed up the reservation and rooms, it was the hourly wage earner. Why do people always blame the executives? Is it jealousy that they have a better job and life than you do?

See below... and don't assume you know what I may or may not "Be"...

Because the Executive has the ultimate responsibility for that hourly wages earners actions. It is their job to ensure that everyone below him does their job the right way and not screw things up like they did.

COWABUNGA!!!!

LOL... you tell her I said ^5 girlfriend ; -)

And ignore all the kool-aid drinking morons ; -)

I think new cruisers make the mistake of judging all cruises by probably one time incidents of "human error" (which you can't take out of the equation no matter if you went to Harvard or the local community college) and one cruiseline experience. RCL is not equal to Carnival nor is Carnival equal to RCL and neither (IMO) are greater than.

Judge a cruise vacation by a cruise vacation, then judge if you want to try another company.

"Gee, I really love my room cleaned and freshened twice a day and cute towel animals left on my bed, nothing but on the horizon but the water meeting the sunset, having a designated driver (captain) and all my entertainment, food a few feet or so away from my bed, I love laying in the sun half the day, and going to Senior frogs etc."

"But I sure would have liked a rocky climbing wall, a mall in the middle of the ship, extra pay restaurants, a zip line, and a Aqua stadium off the back."

So, you like cruising, but maybe another line is best for you.

Most everyone on this site loves cruising, though we may disagree on what we like about it, who to cruise, where to go, and what exactly constitutes a chair hog, but..........one commonality is all we need.

Give cruising a chance........forget its a Carnival ship. Pay attention to what a cruise vacation offers this go round.

I am just really looking forward to being on a ship again, it's been a long time. Been a long time since I have had a vacation too.

I will consider it a huge time if I can drink, sleep and listen to some music.

I don't climb rocks or surf any other time I sure don't need to go to sea to try it.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm prepared to go and make the best of it, but my wife is LIVID. She feels totally done over by Carnival and if they don't find a way to make this right there's no way we can go. She'll NEVER forget about what they've done and actually being able to enjoy this vacation will not be very likely.

She is usually very easy to get along with, but when stuff like this happens there's no talking to her. I'll have to cancel and try to book another cruise on another line or maybe just spend the week in Florida doing something else. My last call from her was along the lines of "I'm not sure cruising is for us if this is how they treat their customers"

Crud. I was really looking forward to this I NEED a vacation. Believe me.

OR. .. you go could just go with someone a bit more fun and less controlling. Why are you allowing her to ruin the vacation that YOU need too?!

Archived