50% off second guest rate on Silhouette

msfly

I was planning a cruise this summer, and received this offer through email: Summer Silhouette Bonus. Has anyone booked a 50% off promo before? Is there any catch I should know of?

We are already booked on Silhouette for September. I called TA and asked about the promotion. She contacted X and was told that the 50% off for the second person was based on a full fare rate for both fares. The promotion would be for a guarantee cabin. If we were to cancel our booking and switch to the promotional rate we would only save $100 and have to give up a cabin in a good location for a guarantee. Think we will just stay with the cabin we have booked.

We were already booked on Aug 22 sailing and i called today to switch to this deal - it saved us just over $1000 giving up our C2 to go to a CC guarantee. That $1000 goes a long way towards the drink package for 2 weeks!! :)

We had just recently put down a deposit on a Concierge guarantee on a 12-day October cruise. After I contacted our TA, we got a rate $800 less for the same thing, minus a $100 difference in OBC. The savings definitely makes it worthwhile to watch the deals and do the math.

Definitely a marketing gimmick. I was quoted a fare with this 50% promotion that was only $10 less than the quote that I was given a few days ago. The people who booked at full fare see the most savings apparently. What got my dander up was the email from Celebrity that made it seem that this promotion is cumulative with the other current promotions to the effect that the 2nd fare in the first quote given me would actually be halved. Not so said X's agent. Read the small print in the email several times and seems to me to be indicating that. I think the email is false advertising the way it's written but I'm sure X's lawyers can prove otherwise. At the very least it is ambiguous. Just be advised.

I have been wondering about this "special", also. :rolleyes:

For those that saved over a $1000, and $800, did you book at full price to begin with?

Our original booking was in response to a limited-time offer. I believe we had 3 days to book, but I may be wrong. As we had been looking for cruises to the specific area, we were happy at the time to get the reduced rate. When the 50% off offer came, we were VERY happy!

Thank you for the response. ;)

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, but still hard to compare unless comparing stateroom categories, timing of cruise, destinations, and rates.

I guess a person has to feel comfortable with their rate to be able to determine if they got a good deal. I'll do my own pricing and compare with the rates we paid for our cruise last May. We booked that cruise when pricing first came out for that itinerary. Then, when prices went down, I think we received a $200 pp credit off the balance. We were pleased with the final rate. Not so on the air! :(

So, do I have to call that number given on the bonus email, or can you look the pricing up on any TA site?

Hi. The 50% deal seemed to work well for us.

We had an assigned Deck 7 2B balcony for a 12 day Sept Adriatic/Italy cruise, and moved up to a Aqua Guarantee for a total of $30 more. We can go to a CC guarantee and save $200, but as I already dedicated in my mind a certain amount for the cruise, figured for $30 might as well try the Aqua class! I'm a bit concerned about the cabin locations under the pool deck, but with a med. cruise I figure we won't be in the room all that much and I have read so many good things about Blu!

Also, I didn't have any promo code...just saw the price on the celeb website, you need to go through a mock reservation to see it show up. My TA then called and had it changed. However, I can't seem to combine with any OBC offers.

Hi. The 50% deal seemed to work well for us.

We had an assigned Deck 7 2B balcony for a 12 day Sept Adriatic/Italy cruise, and moved up to a Aqua Guarantee for a total of $30 more. We can go to a CC guarantee and save $200, but as I already dedicated in my mind a certain amount for the cruise, figured for $30 might as well try the Aqua class! I'm a bit concerned about the cabin locations under the pool deck, but with a med. cruise I figure we won't be in the room all that much and I have read so many good things about Blu!

Also, I didn't have any promo code...just saw the price on the celeb website, you need to go through a mock reservation to see it show up. My TA then called and had it changed. However, I can't seem to combine with any OBC offers.

You will love AQ!

Funny that you cannot combine with OBC. That's one thing that the promo mentioned you could do! I go try a mock booking.

OK, I tried a mock booking for Oct. Nothing changed. Is October too late to get deal?

I did a mock booking for the our Sept cruise and the only cabins you get the 1/2 off on are GTY cabins. The GTY rate for a balcony was 2659 pp and the 2B rate was 2029. The 2B cabin without tax and fees would be $4058. The GTY balcony would be $3988. Not a huge savings.

Hi! Which date were you looking for? I'm on the sept 17 (need to put my name on the roll call). I just played around and looks like I got the 50% off deal on the Oct cruises. Not sure if I tried all of then. The price per person is the same, but in the Stateroom total the discount is reflected.

I guess I can't get the OBC cause I already had the cruise reserved, i.e. not a "new booking." I thought canceling and rebooking would fix that as we're outside of final payment, but the TA says Celeb catches on to that???

Glad to hear another positive review on AQ class! We would have never tried if it was a few hundred more, but at the same original price we were going to pay, why not!

Got it! it does have to be a GTY rate. Saves about $800 total a cruise. Not bad, plus the price for those October cruises are good to begin with. Anyone know how the weather would be in late October in those regions?

Now to talk DH into another overseas cruise for this year. :D

I got an email yesterday with a promo " second passenger pays half fare in all class cabins". When I called Celebrity to try to rebook a cruise, I was told by the first person that it only applied to inside cabins. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, then the deal was only for GTY bookings. Has anyone had any other types of experiences with this issue? I am still in my original booking. Somehow either the email is wrong or the agents are wrong. In either case, I am annoyed.

This offer isn't available in the UK sadly :(

Not to worry Debbie, as I pointed out on our Silhouette 23rd Oct cruise the price works out pretty much the same on the GTY cabins for UK guests as the USD price is more than in GBP but when you work it out with the half off discount vs our price per person the total fare for 2 is more or less the same.

So it is a bit of a marketing gimmick but its still a great price whichever way you look at it!:)

I got 2 different responses. Since location is important to me, I kept my original assigned cabin. I did get free gratuities on my original booking for an Oct. cruise. If I had switched to a GTY, I would have saved about $300. Usually I'd switch, but I like my cabin location midship. For now, staying put. I can't imagine how anyone can be saving $1000 on this deal.

I wondered why the GTY's were all a lot more than the regular cabins. It made no sense until I saw the promotion. I already booked an aqua GYT for $2100 now it's $2929 or I could pick an Aqua2 for $2499. Certainly seems like a questionable advertising strategy to me. Glad I have my cabin.

Cynthia

I got an email yesterday with a promo " second passenger pays half fare in all class cabins". When I called Celebrity to try to rebook a cruise, I was told by the first person that it only applied to inside cabins. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, then the deal was only for GTY bookings. Has anyone had any other types of experiences with this issue? I am still in my original booking. Somehow either the email is wrong or the agents are wrong. In either case, I am annoyed.

I think the email is way more than misleading with the "for any stateroom class" verbage. Kind of a sleazy ruse if you ask me. The first person I spoke to didn't have a clue. Spoke with the team leader and she was not at all helpful. In my case I was quoted $1790 pp for stateroom category X veranda on the Silhouette Adriatic Aug 10th cruise. Then after a couple of days they raised the price to $2399 1st guest and $1190 2nd guest at the same time the nefarious email in question was distributed. After 15 years of cruising only with X this left me questioning my loyalty to them.

Well for those of us that do not have anything booked, the deal is pretty good. We can get a GTY veranda stateroom for $2188 total. That's what our last 11 night Med. cruise cost us per person in a 1A. Now, if that airfare was just lower.

abbafan - We are also looking at one of the two October cruises. Since you are in the UK, what can you tell me about the weather that time of year for this itinerary? We don't want too cool. That May/early June weather was perfect to a little on the hot side at times.

• 2 weeks later...

If you checked out this sale before April 12th it may be worth checking again. I saw this Buy one get one half off deal come up on 3/31. I had booked a 1A and was able to upgrade for about $30.00pp more than I had paid to an Aqua Class guarantee. No savings and still a really high fare, but I jumped on it as we would like to try Blu.

On April 12th, I noticed that the Guarantee prices changed again and when I looked on the site, it seemed as if they had done away with the special and just reduced the guarantees so they were more in line with the other pricing. It was very confusing!

WRONG!!! Just this morning, I went through a mock booking on the site and realized that the price adjustments Celebrity implemented on April 12 not only reduced the inflated Guarantee pricing that was listed with the original promo, but the half off the second passenger still applied!

I emailed my TA and was able to get my Aqua Class Guarantee cabin price reduced by over $840. The only negative is that they took away the cabin they had assigned us last week and we went back in the guarantee pool. It is a bummer because I really liked the cabin, but well worth the savings.

So it may be worth looking at again. On my sailing what they first rolled out with their Summer Sale promo changed for the better on April 12th. :)

Archived