On non formal nights can men wear nice shorts to dining room?

imfun888

I'm always amused at women who actually dress like this on a regular basis...and truly believe they look smokin' hot...when, in actuality, they look quite skeezy. :confused:

Perhaps when they are led to a table in the MDR looking like that it is really a reflection of the Maitre D's sense of humor! :D

Or maybe his approval. :p

Hey Guys,

It's down to persoonal choice. One would hope that those who wish to dress 'casually' will refrain from attending the dining rooms. The issue is with those who think they are 'dressed up' bit sadly are not. Not sure how we address this? Perhaps this is where the MD comes into play?

Sunseeker_uk

Shorts are NOT allowed in the main dining room on Princess and we've seen people turned away. You can however, wear shorts every night at the Horizon Court Buffet where they serve pretty much the same menu. There are options for everyone.

You will only get the same food as the MDR from room service if you are in a suite. Regular room service is not quite as expansive.
Since they mentioned having breakfast in the specialty dining room, I'd assume they're in a full suite. :) Unfortunately, most of us aren't.

Shorts are NOT allowed in the main dining room on Princess and we've seen people turned away. You can however, wear shorts every night at the Horizon Court Buffet where they serve pretty much the same menu. There are options for everyone.

Joyce

I agree with you totally

Since they mentioned having breakfast in the specialty dining room, I'd assume they're in a full suite. :) Unfortunately, most of us aren't.

Thats OK Pam, I count myself to be VERY fortunate just to be on the ship at all! Alas though, I dont have bunny pajamas.

Alas in fairness we have never been to the Horizon Buffet line either. Sorry for the inconvenience looks like it's time to go post on the my favorite treat in the international café thread:rolleyes:

Signed,

Some of those people you don't see you on your cruise ship

Or maybe his approval. :p

Or resignation.

When I was on the Grand, I had a conversation with a headwaiter who bemoaned the fact that people were coming to his dining room dressed "like the homeless." (His phrase.) This did not prevent him, though, from admitting a fortyish fellow in shorts and a sleeveless "muscle" shirt. And I'm willing to bet that the man who graced us diners with the sight of his flabby biceps and hairy shoulders would have argued that 1) he was more comfortable that way, 2) that he was dressed to "decent" standards, and 3) if anyone objected, they could just look away.

Oh, and that it must have been acceptable, because he got away with it.

Or resignation.

When I was on the Grand, I had a conversation with a headwaiter who bemoaned the fact that people were coming to his dining room dressed "like the homeless." (His phrase.) This did not prevent him, though, from admitting a fortyish fellow in shorts and a sleeveless "muscle" shirt. And I'm willing to bet that the man who graced us diners with the sight of his flabby biceps and hairy shoulders would have argued that 1) he was more comfortable that way, 2) that he was dressed to "decent" standards, and 3) if anyone objected, they could just look away.

Oh, and that it must have been acceptable, because he got away with it.

Resignation? Very doubtful since as you well know it's easier to turn your head then to fight with some of the crowd.

It never ceases to amaze me as to why people book cruises on ships that have dress codes and then complain up and down about having to conform to a dress code.

It is like someone booking a cruise to Europe and complaining the whole way that they are not going to see Hawaii!

There is also apparently an undercurrent expressed here that people who do not dress up are inferior or "low class". There are no doubt that some-perhaps many-people feel that way.

I like the European cruise analogy - that's a good one!

Just for the record, my distaste of people who don't properly follow guidelines doesn't make me think they are inferior or "low class." They are on a cruise ship that's having a formal dinner with certain guidelines - not following them just demonstrates that they are rude.

Since people wearing shorts for dinner (I don't) are only seen for a few brief moments walking through the dining room how can it degrade your dinner? What about breakfast & lunch? How does it affect your dining experience then?

Snippy question. But I'm sure you're aware that the atmosphere for breakfast and lunch are quite different than that for dinner.

Unlike dinner, no one has an expectation of elegance for breakfast or lunch. Everyone is in shorts, capris or other casual wear for breakfast and lunch.

But dinner in MDR is indeed different, and it's disrespectful to everyone else for some to feel the rules don't apply to them. If you were at a resort hotel anywhere in the world, you would have to comport with dress codes in their restaurants. Same here.

Unlike dinner, no one has an expectation of elegance for breakfast or lunch. Everyone is in shorts, capris or other casual wear for breakfast and lunch.

I thought capris were acceptable for dinner on casual nights? In fact that is what I've seen most people wearing, though I haven't sailed Princess in over a year....have things changed?

Archived