Princess-What Are You Doing With My Credit Card????

wizard-of-roz

Not attacking anyone but we always refuse the credit limit hikes because, that way, there is no way we can get ourselves in trouble with credit. Maybe we have self control issues but if our credit limits are low, we know we can always pay off our bills at a moments notice even if we max the cards. This is what works for us in our daily lives so we have to figure out how we can make this work for us on cruises as well.

I don't think everyone with a high limit credit card is rich but they obviously have proven to their credit company that they are responsible for what they spend. I don't envy those with a high credit limit either. To be perfectly frank, we're young and college educated but, unfortunately, our current incomes deem us decidedly lower middle class so if we want something, we save for it. This also proves that we are responsible and honestly, I kinda resent being looked down on for not spending beyond our means and keeping our credit limits at rates that are manageable for us. Shouldn't we be allowed to enjoy cruising too even if we have to *gasp* pay cash for it?

Julie Rose,reading your post I can tell you are a responsible young lady who is going to do very well in the future. Nobody is faulting you using cash at the start of your cruise experience,as a matter of fact I am impressed that you are so responsible with your finances. Have a wonderful honeymoon and a happy married life,:):D:o

Cherylandtk- thanks for the clarification. I think I will make a large payment tomorrow so when we board there will be a large credit on my acct and I won't have to think about all of this "hold" nonsense.

Gosh it takes so much planning and coordination these days. We will be taking a 2 day cruise and then a 7 day cruise with one day in Vancouver in between and 2 days in Vancouver post so with 2 different ships and 2 hotels in a span of only 13 days I don't want any holds noticeable on my CC's keeping me from my usage!:eek:

~Marilyn

Does anyone know if Princess still puts daily holds on your card if you have prepaid gratuities in advance and also have plenty of OBC? The obvious answer should be "no", but given the silly practice they have of cumulatively adding the full balance every day, I wouldn't put it past them :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%,a little financial discipline can go a long way and the rewards are great. If you red my original post you knew I worked in banking and know the pitfalls of debit cards. I love my reward credit cards,I use their money for 31 days,then pay the bill in full and get cash back on top of it. Why would I ever let any merchant or cruise co. take money directly out of my checking account :eek: especially while I am out of town on a ship, dumb, if you ask me. OK enough already.live and let live,but do it smartly, Gloria:)

Hate to interrupt this little back-patting session you two have going on here, but debit cards aren't so dumb really. I have both credit cards and debit cards. As I own a business, some purchases, such as those earning double miles or points I put on the credit card, but others that don't have this benefit go on the debit card. It is faster than writing a check and I can find my business expenses at tax time by looking online. Also, some merchants such as Aldi and Family Dollar only take debit cards. Finally, I have a policy of keeping all monthly balances under $1000 per card, so I like to be conscious of how much goes on credit cards.

In spite of my not putting everything on the credit card, I have over the past two years used the cards enough to cash in miles and points for seven transatlantic flights in business class for two, a week at the Hilton in Paris, hundreds of dollars in gift cards and about a thousand in cash back.

The point is, everyone has a system that works for them, so suggesting that people are being "dumb" or without "the slightest intelligence or common sense" for not doing everything the way you personally choose to do it does come across as judgmental, for what it's worth.

Hate to interrupt this little back-patting session you two have going on here, but debit cards aren't so dumb really. I have both credit cards and debit cards. As I own a business, some purchases, such as those earning double miles or points I put on the credit card, but others that don't have this benefit go on the debit card.

The poster was not against debit cards in general, just their use when you are out of the country and basically out of contact with your financial institution.

For those that travel with just enough cash / debit card or cc limit to cover their expected expenses.....

It seems to me that......it is a good idea to travel with a credit card ......that has enough credit .......for an unexpected emergency......;)

Julie Rose

Here is the site for you to put on Cabin credits on your account

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/onboard_credit/Index.jsp

You can call them up and give them your credit card for the amount you want. This way no surprises and you can pay for this before you go.

I always like that approach. I wish we could pay for our tours when we booked instead of them charging them to your Cabin Card.

hopes this helps

JuliePaule

Archived