Oasis just picked up 22 refugees

Aboard Oasis....we have been stopped for the last several hours after coming across a refugee boat... What was first reported as 11 people turned into 22. We are taking them aboard as there is no Coast Guard anywhere in the area.... Not being told how this will effect arrival into Cozumel tomorrow.

Thanks for the live report Steve! So sad to see these desperate people braving the seas and with far less than seaworthy vessels:eek:

I'd say if there's not a life boat for these folks, that they are mite less likely to sue Royal;).

Seriously, though there are probably extra spaces on the crew boats in an emergency ( and how much would that s^{£? Refugee: "well, we were rescued by Oasis:D and then she went down and we all had to get on life boats:(")

Aboard Oasis....we have been stopped for the last several hours after coming across a refugee boat... What was first reported as 11 people turned into 22. We are taking them aboard as there is no Coast Guard anywhere in the area.... Not being told how this will effect arrival into Cozumel tomorrow.

While I am happy these people are being rescued, I feel it is just a matter of time before terrorists use this as a method to get on board a ship.

Reader

While it is nice that they were saved, they will probably be imprisoned then killed once returned to their country of origin. Many countries do this and it's so sad.

We should always count our blessings that we live in a country that gives us our freedom. Thank god to our military for allowing us to have that everyday.

<wife of a USM..Oorah..

:)

Maybe this is a stupid thought but isn't there a maximum number of passengers allowed on a ship? Won't the extra people make it go over? Unless the ship isn't sailing at full capacity of course.

Sorry, we're full. Bye Bye!!!

while it is nice that they were saved, they will probably be imprisoned then killed once returned to their country of origin. Many countries do this and it's so sad.

We should always count our blessings that we live in a country that gives us our freedom. Thank god to our military for allowing us to have that everyday.

<wife of a usm..oorah..

amen, I am fortune to live in a country where I am not desperate enough to risk my life on a small dinghy. Go Marines!

While it is nice that they were saved, they will probably be imprisoned then killed once returned to their country of origin. Many countries do this and it's so sad.

<wife of a USM..Oorah..

Thanks to you and your husband for your service and sacrifice for us.

Tickets to "Hairspray" just got THAT much harder to get.

Now THAT was funny! Oh, the mental image in my head right now...:p:D

I hope they are safe and in good health and y'all aren't too delayed going into Cozumel tomorrow.

This happened to us while onboard the Carnival Valor a few years ago. we stopped to pick up 11 Cubans in a small craft which was stopped. about 2 hours after these guys were onboard a coast guard ship came along side and sent a small rib boat to collect these guys and take onboard the coast guard ship while a coast guard helecopter was above. We were told that a ship must respond when it see's a craft in danger.

While I am happy these people are being rescued, I feel it is just a matter of time before terrorists use this as a method to get on board a ship.

Reader

Am I the only one that read your statement as TOURISTS instead of terrorists? LOL!

Reader

Come on now. The perpetual fear of "terrorists" (BOO! :eek:) is a bit silly, and very detrimental to our society as a whole. I'd much rather save the lives of people on a ship in distress, than to worry about the potential that one of the people on board that ship is a terrorist or have to deal with the absurd 'security' measure that arise from such fear.

Besides, I'm sure every one of them would have their bags x-rayed to make sure they're not bringing alcohol on board, so any weapons would show up there too.

Come on now. The perpetual fear of "terrorists" (BOO! :eek:) is a bit silly, and very detrimental to our society as a whole. I'd much rather save the lives of people on a ship in distress, than to worry about the potential that one of the people on board that ship is a terrorist or have to deal with the absurd 'security' measure that arise from such fear.

Besides, I'm sure every one of them would have their bags x-rayed to make sure they're not bringing alcohol on board, so any weapons would show up there too.

I would never dismiss or make fun of your view on a topic as you have mine. I work in the security field hence my suspicious nature.

Reader

Once we were on the Explorer we did a rescue, the men gotton for a few days and were dropped off in San Juan, still remember the name of their boat " Tumbleweed" off the coast of te Carolina's

Good luck to all involved!

I also was on that cruise. They had sent out a few rescue boats and surrounded the Tumbleweed before the even took them off. I believe the will always have the cruise ship passengers safety their priority. Good luck to those people.

I would never dismiss or make fun of your view on a topic as you have mine. I work in the security field hence my suspicious nature.

Reader

I'm sorry you mistook my post as an assault on you. Far from it. I do; however, have a problem with our reaction to terrorism. As a frequent flyer, I have to deal with the TSA far too often and my experiences with them have shown it to be a knee jerk farce. My post reflects that, in that being perpetually scared of what terrorists might do only results in additional ineffectual measures that give a false sense of security.

Again, I'd much prefer to potentially save lives than to worry about whether or not the people are terrorists, especially when they're in a dinghy out in the ocean.

How about those poor Cuban refugees a couple of years ago who tried to float to the US in a 56 Chevy pickup!! A desire for freedom makes you do desperate things! Good luck to them...imagine what they think of the Oasis!

Archived