Cruising on Weight Watchers...

birdie16

My advise is to stay out of Windjammers!! Go to the dining room for your meals. It's easier to resist when you have to say your choices out loud and are just reading it off of the menu. At the buffet, everything looks so good I have to try "just a bite", and the BLT's (bites, licks, and tastes) got me good. My DH and I are both WW and both gained 5 lbs on our last cruise because of the buffet (luckily we both lost it in a week). We decided to try the stick to the dining room on the next one. However you do on your vacation - as soon as it's over get right back on WW! Good luck!

Hi All

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I am not on WW, but have to watch what I eat because of health problems. I didn't gain a thing on the cruise because of all the walking I did. I was on the EOS and walked every morning and afternoon. Only a couple of time around the ship, and watched my wine intake. Got love that stuff. I also pigged out a couple of time on the promenda(sp) pizza, but I still came back at the same weight. That was a good thing. I think you can go over board with so much that is offer. It's your life do what is best for you and have fun!!!

Really love some of the advice!! Especially having to go back on stairs for that second cookie!! Again, try to remember to get back on site after cruise and share some more hints. Good or bad, I pledge to share!! Weight loss is a life time committment. I am life time member but gained so much after last baby that I re-joined because I was too embarassed to admit to life time status...did I mention "baby" is 5? LOL. I wouldn't mind a couple of pounds (I do indulge in pool cocktails), but I don't want to set myself back a month's worth of weight loss for a 10 day cruise!

I lost 140 lbs on WW 24 years ago and it is still gone, after 102 cruises!

I am particularly vigilant on vacation and do not indulge in desserts or butter or anything else I do not eat at home. I know this does not work for a lot of people but for me WW worked because it was a lifestyle change and I do not change that while on a cruise.

What I do allow myself is a chocolate covered strawberry a few times over the week.

I also work out 2x a day instead of one.

This is what works for me.

I belong to WW's also and will be going on AOS in 2 weeks, we went on 5 cruises last year and I lost weight/ or stayed even on all of them. DH and I walked around the ship every morning before we had breakfast We walked at least a mile or maybe more. For breakfast I usually have an omlet with everything. Lunch would be a salad. Dinner would usually be the ship shape meal with a sugar free dessert. Of course, we had drinks every day and plan to on the next cruise. Also agree with the other posts, is that we use stairs whenever possible. I always ate when I wanted to, I would just try to have a smaller portion. I have just started maintenance and will be on maintenance during my cruise. I hope I can do well this time.

Four pieces of advice:

1. Don't drink your calories. One margarita has over 400 calories -- that's an entire lunch! Stick to water, or -- if you must have alcohol -- have white wine or Diet Coke/rum.

2. Exercise. Running onboard is nicer than running at home or try an exercise class. Just do one thing per day, and you'll have earned a nice dessert with your dinner. You'll also be walking a good bit more than you do at home.

3. Consider room service for breakfast and/or lunch. This prevents the temptation of the buffet or the full dining room menu. Chances are good that if you don't see it, you won't feel deprived. If you're "good" at breakfast and lunch, you can enjoy a nice dinner without feeling guilty.

4. Eat in moderation, but don't deprive yourself. This is your vacation, and you should enjoy some nice meals.

Great thread ... and wonderful suggestions. As a WW lifetimer, I've gained a little on some cruises, and stayed the same on others; awareness helps, plus lots of exercise and active shore excursions. Also important is getting right back on track afterwards. (It took me a couple of months the last time, to get back to goal. Ouch!)

Only tip I can offer that maybe hasn't been mentioned is that if you order something that sounded good but really isn't that great after all, leave the rest of it on the plate. (Sounds obvious, but ...) Don't waste points on something that isn't pointsworthy ... but enjoy the truly outstanding cuisine you WILL find on board, in moderation of course.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Its impossible to do points since you run out by lunchtime.

I disagree. You can certainly stay within points. Just because everything is served or offered doesn't mean you have to eat it. That's the whole philosophy behind potion control. Our cruise was for a week, and I had no gain. I ran 3 mornings and had 3 evening workouts in the gym. I had no intentions of gaining any of my hard-lost weight back. :cool:

Only tip I can offer that maybe hasn't been mentioned is that if you order something that sounded good but really isn't that great after all, leave the rest of it on the plate. (Sounds obvious, but ...) Don't waste points on something that isn't pointsworthy ...

"Waste it or wear it" has become my motto when supplied with an abundance of food choices.

I'm proud of ALL of us who've fought the good fight and made a healthier lifestyle choice, be it WW or any other program.

I just thought you might enjoy this story...

I was on a girl trip last summer and one night nothing really appealed to me on the dessert menu so I simply said I would not have any dessert tonight. The waiter brought me a plate with the word "Nothing" written in frosting gel...very cute!

Thanks everyone for all your great ideas! I leave tomorrow for a five day cruise and I will let you know how I did.

I too am on WW. I was very careful with breakfast - had fruit - and lunch - had salad - and had whatever I wanted for dinner. I did fine. You will too. If you gain a few, don't worry, you will get it off again!

I was on a girl trip last summer and one night nothing really appealed to me on the dessert menu so I simply said I would not have any dessert tonight. The waiter brought me a plate with the word "Nothing" written in frosting gel...very cute!

That is funny!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!! Please write a review when you get back, we're on The Monarch in August. :D :D

###

I just returned from a 3-day cruise on Sovereign, am a WW member since late November, 2004. I have to admit that although all my intentions were good getting on the cruise, I wasn't very good at all, and had little self-control. I gained 3 pounds in the 3 days, but as soon as I got home I got right back on the wagon, and in just the few days since I've been back, have already lost 1 of the 3 pounds I gained.

M.

Michuck, thats my concern, I have lost 40 pounds so far and my first goal was 50 before my June cruise, I would like to lose 20 more after that. Anyway, with all my good intentions, somehow the music, the water and the atmosphere seems to make them go right out the window. I guess I have just come to the conclusion that however it works out I just have to lose a few more when I come home. On my last cruise I only gained 4 pounds though so I am hoping this one wont be that bad since I am more conscious of it this time.

My last cruise I lost 4 pounds - I walked a lot (on deck and treadmill and in port), took stairs rather than elevators, I ate sensibly -lots of fruits and vegetables, did not go nuts with buffet, and dinner I chose the lower-fat options most of the time. Ate dessert if I really loved it, and sometimes just a couple of bites was fine. I did not obsess with the points, but did not overeat either. If it was food I absolutely loved -I would enjoy it! I had late seating dinner, so I would have a snack around 4 PM - operative word is SNACK not meal!

DRINK WATER! I always had a 1 liter bottle with me - I must have had 2-3 liters of water a day. This is important especially if it is hot weather. I also did not drink much alcohol (I am not a big drinker anyway) except for a small glass of wine at dinner - decided I would have chocolate instead.

I still have 20 pounds to lose - my plan is the next cruise in August I will pay attention to what I am eating, and focus more on Core foods, and enjoy myself!

• 1 year later...

i have been on WW for the past year and made lifetime in sept 2005. i did my first cruise in april and absolutely loved it.... i have to say WW was always on my mind during the cruise, however, i ate and drink without guilt. I came back and only gained 3 lbs... and then went strict on again. i did do my exercise in the am, earned my ship shape bucks and got a free backpack and lanyard from RCCL at the end of my trip......

i have been on WW for the past year and made lifetime in sept 2005. i did my first cruise in april and absolutely loved it.... i have to say WW was always on my mind during the cruise, however, i ate and drink without guilt. I came back and only gained 3 lbs... and then went strict on again. i did do my exercise in the am, earned my ship shape bucks and got a free backpack and lanyard from RCCL at the end of my trip......

I've been a member since February, 2002, made goal 8/02. I too don't watch what I eat while on vacation, but the day I get back it's right back on plan :)

Good luck!

###

How do you guys stick with WW? I have joined and re-joined at least 6 times.......I know it's the best program out there - but since you can have anything, I tend to over-indulge. The only diet that has worked for me is one that was medically supervised and I had to weigh in 3 times a week. If I am policed, I can lose weight - otherwise my willpower is negative!

Any ideas?

I do not do WW, but PP a no sugar, white stuff life and never gain on a cruise. I know all say go for the regular desserts, but do you know how great the sugar free ones taste? With those choices it is easy to eat right. I do cheat once in awhile with regular ice cream. But it never makes me gain. Lots of veggies and fruits and water along with your protein choices on any diet is best. I am also very active and take the stairs when I can.

And my son had a wake up call this week, he may be borderline diabetic, so he may just have to adopt my eating style.

How do you guys stick with WW? I have joined and re-joined at least 6 times.......I know it's the best program out there - but since you can have anything, I tend to over-indulge. The only diet that has worked for me is one that was medically supervised and I had to weigh in 3 times a week. If I am policed, I can lose weight - otherwise my willpower is negative!

Any ideas?

Robyn, I weigh myself every day. I know it's not recommended, however if I'm still at my goal weight I'm happy, if I have gained I'm ticked and even more dedicated.

Drink lots of water :D

Perhaps we can have a constant thread on the "lose before you cruise" board to keep all of us motivated? The WW boards can be really brutal :eek:

###

Any ideas?

Robyn - I started following the weight-watchers philosophy in Aug 2002. I lost 60 pounds in 2 years. I never joined - just bought the books and learned the plan. No restriction on the kinds of food is what made sense to me, and once I got past the first few weeks, I knew this was right for me. It is not a diet - and you can't look at it like that. What made me fat was my way of life...not just the food. So I knew I had to change my lifestyle. For good. So I did. I continue to mentally journal everything I eat. Always. Some days I still write it down just to stay in the habit. You have to remember to always stay aware of what you eat. I started back running and going to the gym in Sept 2002. I ran a half marathon last fall and finished! I had so much fun I am running it again this year with my son - yep - got him into it too. :-) I work out at the gym religiously. Nothing - I mean NOTHING - gets in the way of my exercise. I'm not a fanatic about it, but I have become so toned and muscled now, I never want to lose that - I LOVE the way I look and feel. I cannot say enough about how that has improved my life.

So...it's a way of life that you need to adapt to - a new healthier one. Once you do that, then staying fit will be much easier. Much luck to you!!

Anyone cruised and actually stayed on their Weight Watcher diet? I usually try to lose about 5 pounds before the cruise to make room for all the food I will eat but this year I am thinking I would like to try and actually eat right on the cruise...and not gain. Anyone actually have success not gaining and still enjoy the cruise?

I try and skip alllll bread (OK, I do have some), no pizza (except a bite or two I steal from my daughters) or potatoes. big salads and half the dessert (I only have sherbet at dinner). I also try and walk a mile every morning (which I did 8 days out of 9) and take the stairs DOWN. Last month one night I tried and totaled my points for the day and I had over 50 :eek: (I am supposed to have only 21) but those core foods add up too. I only gained 3 pounds after a 9 day cruise. As long as you get right back to eating right the second you get home, which is easy because there's no food in the house, that's really the important part. I lost the 3 pounds in a week.

You should see the PILE of food on people's plates! On last year's cruise an obese woman in a motor scooter was being helped overfill her 2 plates at the buffet by the crew and it was all carbs!

Four pieces of advice:

1. Don't drink your calories. One margarita has over 400 calories -- that's an entire lunch! Stick to water, or -- if you must have alcohol -- have white wine or Diet Coke/rum.

Five Drinks to Avoid

Daiquiri: With 4 ounces of mix and 1 ounce of liquor, a daiquiri weighs in at 305 calories -- almost all sugar! "A lot of these drinks are served in very large quantities (12 to 16 ounces)," says Gidus. Your 300-calorie drink can boast up to 800 calories.

Long Island Iced Tea: Using TGIFriday's mixer and a 12-ounce serving adds 520 calories to your daily intake.

Pina Colada: A 5-ounce glass nets 245 calories. Super-size it to 10 ounces and it's 490 calories.

Mixers: Just 1.5 ounces of 80-proof spirits is 65 calories. Add 6 ounces of calorie-laden soda or syrups and you're well over the calorie count for a "light" drink.

Bartles & James Wine Cooler: This seemingly harmless sparkling concoction sports 230 calories per 12-ounce bottle. Not slimming.

Five Drinks to Try

Mimosa (1:1 champagne and orange juice): At 130 calories, this traditional morning libation won't wreak havoc on your waistline. "And you'll get 100 percent of your vitamin C requirement from the orange juice," says Gidus.

Wine Spritzer: With 3 ounces of wine and 3 ounces of club soda, wine spritzers top out at about 60 calories and zero grams of fat.

Sangria: The combination of wine, fruit juice, club soda and fresh fruit makes for a low-cal, refreshing drink, about 80 calories.

Bloody Mary: A standard-size cocktail adds up to about 120 calories and you get a serving of vegetables to boot.

Wine: The typical 5-ounce glass weighs in at 125 calories. Opt for red and you'll get a healthy dose of disease-fighting chemicals called flavonols, too.

quote=MrsPete]

If I'm sticking to WW on a cruise, I can do ok. If not, forget it.

I love the gym on the cruise. With all the choices off the menu, it's easy to make a smart food choice. When I've skipped the bread and just tasted dessert, I do the best. I prefer to drink my activity points -- but do think about avoiding those calorie-laden drinks (for the most part). Ok, maybe one margarita. It is vacation, but food doesn't have the be the focal part.

Thanks for posting the drinks to avoid and drinks to try. If anyone else has any to add to these lists, it would be a great service!

I will certainly print this out and bring to my WW leader -- there's some good advice here and I know at least one other in my meeting goes on cruises!

Archived