Anybody have problems getting "drinks" onboard in FLL??

SRQfireman

Should we bring wine with a screw top or can we bring a corkscrew on board?

We put a corkscrew in the suitcase with our six bottles of wine and checked it in with our luggage. No problem.

We were on the 3/24 sailing on the Grand. We took both beer and liquor on in our checked luggage. It arrived safely in our luggage. In both curracao and Aruba we purchased alcohol and walked right on board with it. I was prepared to give it to them but no one wanted it

As you've seen it's fairly easy to walk right past the check in point especially when there a crowd at the desk & people standing in line to "voluntarily " hand over their purchases. Just don't have it in a bag that advertizes the store's name.

Here's an idea for people that like spirits (sorry if it's already been said) - before your cruise get a bottle of wine with a screwtop lid, empty or drink it and then refill it with your desired spirit before you leave. My Grandma (who told me the idea) and brother always do it with no questions asked :)

Although not necessary on Princess at this point, it's a tactic that I'm ready to use when & if they begin stricter checking. ;)

I do not know of anyone that personally has had spirits packed in their luggage to have it confiscated. I have heard of someone they knew or someone else in line or whoever having spirits confiscated. I have asked this question on this board several times. Have you personally had spirits packed in luggage (not carryon) confiscated?

I just got back from the Ruby a few weeks ago out of FLL. I wish I would have known how easy it was to take stuff on. I had tequila (hidden in a contact solution bottle) and 12 mini travel size bottles of Jack D in my checked luggage. No problem getting that on. First port in St. Maarten, unannounced to me my brother threw a bottle of rum in my bag. i put it through the scanner and absolutely no questions asked. Imagine my happiness seeing that in my bag :) St. Thomas we brought 2 bottles of rum on after seeing they weren't strict. No questions asked again. The only alcohol I saw being checked after coming back on from port was stuff in cases or bags that were obviously from a liquor store. I never saw anything being taken from anyone. I didn't take on pop or water...there's prioroties :) just kidding

Have fun :)

AND, they are collecting $15 for each bottle that is brought to the dining room. That's $15 for just pulling a cork, which they would be doing if you bought a bottle from the wine list, anyway. Easy money.

We brought wine to the dining room every night and there was no corkage fee. If you bring it in a bottle they charge $15. If you bring it in a glass $0.

AND, they are collecting $15 for each bottle that is brought to the dining room. That's $15 for just pulling a cork, which they would be doing if you bought a bottle from the wine list, anyway. Easy money.

This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding as to what a corkage fee is and represents. They are not charging you $15 for the "labor" of pulling a cork. The waiter does that, and s/he does not see one penny from your corkage fee. Their pay is your tip. The corkage fee represents an offset of stemware usage/breakage (which is not insignificant) as well as an offset of lost revenue from not ordering off the list. Had you ordered a bottle off the list, Princess would pocket far more than $15 in all likelihood. The real "easy money" comes from people who order $200 bottles. The labor and stemware usage/breakage is no greater than when one orders a $40 bottle, or brings their own wine. Yet the profit is in excess of $100. The profit from the $15 corkage is inconsequential and certainly no "easier" than the profit on any purchased bottle.

We took about 6 bottles of soda on our trip last week as well as 2 bottles of wine and got them on with no problems at all. They say a reasonable amount on the sodas and they have a limit on the wine. We went on the Grand Princess from Fort Lauderdale.

We sailed on The Grand recently and took wine, water, and diet ginger ale.

We took them on with no problems. We sailed the month prior on another line and they charged me $15 per bottle of wine that I took onboard and summons me to the naughty room to claim my water and Coke. That was my first trip to the room, because I don't smuggle alcohol onboard.

Archived