Anybody have problems getting "drinks" onboard in FLL??

SRQfireman

I'm mainly talking about soft drinks.....I don't see it mentioned much here like it is on the RCCL board. Any problems getting on a Princess ship in that port (like say the Emerald) and having 12 packs of soda? Who's done that recently and can advise? What about the infamous <cough/cough> alcohol question.....anybody have feedback on having a small amount of spirits in their checked in luggage? I know Royal Caribbean has the naughty room, but never heard anybody mention anything like that on here.....so am I right in my thinking that Princess isn't as near a stickler on "drinks" as RCCL is ?

I'm mainly talking about soft drinks.....I don't see it mentioned much here like it is on the RCCL board. Any problems getting on a Princess ship in that port (like say the Emerald) and having 12 packs of soda? Who's done that recently and can advise? What about the infamous <cough/cough> alcohol question.....anybody have feedback on having a small amount of spirits in their checked in luggage? I know Royal Caribbean has the naughty room, but never heard anybody mention anything like that on here.....so am I right in my thinking that Princess isn't as near a stickler on "drinks" as RCCL is ?

There is no problem at ALL bringing on soft drinks. I usually brink a couple of twelve packs for me and my kids and it's never an issue. You can bring ONE bottle of wine all (my Mom always brings a box and has NEVER been stopped).

I've never put alcohol in my checked baggage, so I don't know how that would work, but my guess is they'd catch it just like every other line does!

Regards,

Natalie

I have even taken a couple of 12 pack of soda, taped them together and slapped a Princess luggage tag on it and left it with my luggage and had it show up in my cabin with the rest of my luggage. No problem.

About five years ago in FLL, six 'reps' from Princess CCs hired a taxi and loaded up with wine, pop, water and even beer, we had a HUGE buggy load.

We all got our ill gotten gains aboard, the only 'Naughty Room' that we were in was probably at the 'muster station', back at the hotel, where about 200 Princess passengers were waiting for the Princess 'busses. :)

john

Despite the one bottle limit for wine or champagne stated by Princess, in reality they'll allow you to bring onboard as much as you desire. There is no extra fee for enjoying it in your cabin however if brought to dinner there's a $15 corkage fee and they will store your bottle for another time it's not emptied.

We just got back from the 3/25 Ruby cruise.

I walked on with an entire suitcase with 36 cans of soda, 5 bottles of wine and a 1/5 of rum. It went thru their scanner and on I went. No one said a thing. No one wanted to look inside or anything.

Anyone have experience taking on wine or other alcohol when sailing from Vancouver to Alaska? Looking to take 3 or 4 bottles of wine & maybe a pint of brandy for the room if possible - we like to sip & read in the evening. Since the wine prices are so reasonable on board I'll just buy my wine for dinner from Princess.

Pre ordering bottles of spirits to your stateroom is pretty darn affordable. I'm just going to do that, although, there are some "mixer" liquors that aren't available. For instance, if you wanted an appletini, youd have to bring your own apple schnapps.

Have never had a problem with anything in FLL - other ports I can't comment on. We've taken wine, soda, beer, and water in unlimited quantities on board. I've watched people take cases of wine and water - never a problem. Spirits though are another thing - have to be hidden somehow, but it's easy to do. Again, this is FLL and not necessarily true at other ports.

Just bear in mind that 'Officially' Princess does not condone these practices and the security prior to entering the ship is contracted. All Princess has to do is tell their contractors to enforce their policies ie - one bottle of wine per person per voyage - and the contractors will enforce it and take home a whole lot off confiscated stuff !!

Have never had a problem with anything in FLL - other ports I can't comment on. We've taken wine, soda, beer, and water in unlimited quantities on board. I've watched people take cases of wine and water - never a problem. Spirits though are another thing - have to be hidden somehow, but it's easy to do. Again, this is FLL and not necessarily true at other ports.

Just bear in mind that 'Officially' Princess does not condone these practices and the security prior to entering the ship is contracted. All Princess has to do is tell their contractors to enforce their policies ie - one bottle of wine per person per voyage - and the contractors will enforce it and take home a whole lot off confiscated stuff !!

Do they confiscate or put aside in a secure room and you get back at the end of your cruise?

Do they confiscate or put aside in a secure room and you get back at the end of your cruise?

If the pre-boarding security (contractors) find it - it's gone. If you buy it on an island and the Princess security find it while you're reboarding the ship, then it's put away and given back the last night. Unless you intended to take it home (not easily possible if you're flying, but can be done) then it's pretty much wasted.

End of cruise.

Had me worried when you said they take home a whole lot of confiscated stuff.

Oh crap - you've edited your comment - now I am worried.

I'll have to wait to see if anyone with experience in Vancouver chimes in with info.

Pre ordering bottles of spirits to your stateroom is pretty darn affordable. I'm just going to do that, although, there are some "mixer" liquors that aren't available. For instance, if you wanted an appletini, youd have to bring your own apple schnapps.

That's the problem - what my husband prefers to drink is not on their list.

We can limit ourselves on the amount of wine if necessary - the onboard wine list has reasonable options at reasonable prices. But the brandy is a different story - may just do without.

We were on the 3/24 sailing on the Grand. We took both beer and liquor on in our checked luggage. It arrived safely in our luggage. In both curracao and Aruba we purchased alcohol and walked right on board with it. I was prepared to give it to them but no one wanted it

All Princess has to do is tell their contractors to enforce their policies ie - one bottle of wine per person per voyage - and the contractors will enforce it and take home a whole lot off confiscated stuff !!

Except that when you are returning from visiting a port, no one knows if you have already brought on your one-bottle-per-person per voyage... if you bring on one bottle in each port and don't go nuts by trying to bring on a case, there really shouldn't be a problem. After all, there is a reason there is a corkage fee... they expect people to buy wine and bring it onboard.

Love the quote! Important for folks to remember that! ;)

Except that when you are returning from visiting a port, no one knows if you have already brought on your one-bottle-per-person per voyage... if you bring on one bottle in each port and don't go nuts by trying to bring on a case, there really shouldn't be a problem. After all, there is a reason there is a corkage fee... they expect people to buy wine and bring it onboard.

AND, they are collecting $15 for each bottle that is brought to the dining room. That's $15 for just pulling a cork, which they would be doing if you bought a bottle from the wine list, anyway. Easy money.

AND, they are collecting $15 for each bottle that is brought to the dining room. That's $15 for just pulling a cork, which they would be doing if you bought a bottle from the wine list, anyway. Easy money.

Actually I don't think that's right.... at least the last time I sailed Princess, there were no corkage fees for wines bought from the wine list.

I carried on 4 bottles of soda a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to have caffeine free diet soda in our stateroom to wash down pills. No problem carrying it on. I also bought the soda package because it was only $5.18 a day including service charge. It costs $8.05 a day on Celebrity (although this includes canned sodas) and a little less than that on Royal Caribbean, so I never have purchased a soda package before!

Actually I don't think that's right.... at least the last time I sailed Princess, there were no corkage fees for wines bought from the wine list.

That is correct. Princess does not charge corkage for wines purchased, just those brought onboard.

Mike:)

Here's an idea for people that like spirits (sorry if it's already been said) - before your cruise get a bottle of wine with a screwtop lid, empty or drink it and then refill it with your desired spirit before you leave. My Grandma (who told me the idea) and brother always do it with no questions asked :)

It has never been an issue for us. :)

Here's an idea for people that like spirits (sorry if it's already been said) - before your cruise get a bottle of wine with a screwtop lid, empty or drink it and then refill it with your desired spirit before you leave. My Grandma (who told me the idea) and brother always do it with no questions asked :)[/quote

I just use plastic water bottles in my bag and then there is no fear of breakage.

Mike:)

Archived