Amenities for Aft-Facing Penthouse Suite

mabones

I will be cruising in April 2013 on the Epic. After reading several Threads, I see that many people speak of in-Suite Dining. How will an Aft-facing suite accomodate this? There is no table, only a coffee table. I was hoping to have a nice dinner in my suite with another couple. I received a list of amenities which has White Tablecloth In-suite Dining.

You wont be able to eat in your cabin unless you eat on the bed ;)

One of the flaws on the penthouse suites is that there is no table for eating in the cabin as in most other suites. Of course you can still eat, holding your plate I guess but no comfort of a sit down, table cloth type of dining.

The cabin is beautiful with funky lighting, flatscreen TV, etc. But it is quite small but has a ton of storage. You could never fill all the cabinets. I missed the table but hated the shower/tub combo.

This is why I booked the 2 bedroom suite next Epic trip. It has a sit down table for in suite dining.

We liked the penthouse but it had several flaws that we were not crazy about. Our toilet room had no door but only a curtain (this is not true for most other penthouses on Epic), the phone was in the bathroom, and no nightstands (but they fold out from the bed but obstruct the bathroom access).

The bed is amazing though. And the lights are very cool on the bed.

BTW, there is no coffee table, only a small end table that is between 2 chairs

Epic has the most amazing restaurants ever (including Epic Club). You wont want to eat in your cabin anyway!

There are so many fine restaurants that you wont be able to try them all. We NEVER ate at Taste or Manhattan or the buffet. We tried a specialty restaurant almost every night.

The Epic Club is amazing. You are in for a treat. The staff there are the best ever!!!

Is there room the a table to be brought in & set up? I'd love to get the 2-bedroom suite but the other couple traveling with us are watching their pennies. Plus the 2nd bedroom looks too small. My brother-in-law is 6'3".

Don't know if the threads you have been reading are for the Epic specifically, because most of the other ships besides the Epic have a table for dining with chairs, so they might be talking about those ships. I am looking forward to this on our cruise in January on the Star.

What is the Epic club? Are Non-Haven guest able to go there? The other couple are in a Mini-suite.

Oh boy

You are in for surprises if you dont know what you are getting with the suite. The Epic Club is the private restaurant for suite guests. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Top notch dining. Suite guests can bring non suite friends to dinner twice for a charge of $25 pp.

You also will be invited to a private party with the captain in the Epic Lounge.

I dont know about a table set up. But even if there was, I dont think there is any room for a table. The bed is in the middle of the room and only small area around the bed to walk. Best bet is to meet your friends for dinner out or invite them to the Epic Club.

Surprise??? I guess I am. Maybe with a little work, I can get the other couple to spring with us for a 2-bedroom villa. The way things look now, I may be using my OBC's to pay for their meals.

Mabones

Here is a video to explain why you wont want to eat in your cabin and will meet friends out. There is a quick shot of the Epic Club too

Here is a video of our penthouse 17005. It will be identical to your aft cabin except for the forward solarium

If the other couple is in a mini suite, it might be less for four of you in the two bedroom vs then penthouse and mini. But, of course, you will have to decide the fair share of costs of each couple, as the master bedroom is head and shoulders above the second bedroom - maybe MBR couple pays 2/3 and second bedroom couple pays 1/3? On a brighter note, the second bedroom on the Epic is set up much better than the other ship's two bedroom suites, and there is enough room for two adults for sleeping and bathing purposes, but it's still tight. Add in the whole living room space PLUS the suite benefits and it might work for you.

If you aren't familiar with suite benefits on NCL, I will tell you that, especially on the Epic, suites are basically part of "a ship within a ship".. There are lots and lots of spaces that you will be permitted to access that the other couple will not. Can make for an awkward vacation if you aren't prepared for it.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, I'm curious now. If I were to switch my Aft-facing Suite to a 2-Bedroom Suite I have a few questions. How big/long is the bed in the 2nd bedroom? Brother-in-law is 6'3". I can't see a closet in that room. Is there enough storage for them?

OK, I'm curious now. If I were to switch my Aft-facing Suite to a 2-Bedroom Suite I have a few questions. How big/long is the bed in the 2nd bedroom? Brother-in-law is 6'3". I can't see a closet in that room. Is there enough storage for them?

I wish I could answer the bed question for you! I looked at the bed in our suite but hubby never laid down to try it out (which he usually does while watching TV in his "man cave" :rolleyes:). It's about double bed sized, not very wide, with an upper bunk directly above it, oriented the same way. The second bedroom is definitely small, but you have to remember that you have the living room space as well...

The closet in the second bedroom is larger than that in the other ships. Because they have situated the bed against the wall that backs up to the outdoor hallway, the opposite side (the wall against the living room/master bedroom of the suite) is almost all storage space with closet, drawers, shelves, mirror. The other suites have a narrow "sideways closet", where you have to hang the clothes facing you (does that make sense?) but on the Epic, it is a full depth closet, where you hang clothes regular the way. I have pictures, let me see if I can upload them.

Robin

I take back what I said about the closet; the clothes still hang facing you, but it is quite a bit deeper than the other 2 bedroom suites. AND I was wrong about the upper bed, it looks like it lowers from the side wall (that is against the next suite) and NOT the wall against the hallway outside the suite. Oops, my memory is failing - this was only a month ago! :D

My pictures didn't come out well; we were having camera malfunctions where much of the left side of the photos were cut off, but hopefully you can get an idea of the space. Not as many pictures of the second bedroom as I thought I took - probably lost by the bad camera..

I have uploaded all of my suite pictures to webshots.com at this address:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/582600698IefPWi

Let me know if you have a hard time accessing them; I don't really like webshots.com. I can post a few on here individually.

Robin

So, the 2nd bedroom in the 2-Bedroom Villa has a closet, but it's small? Someone told me there is no closet at all, only shelves. I was also told that you can also get a 24" extension for the bed which would be a big plus. I hope this works out.

I take back what I said about the closet; the clothes still hang facing you, but it is quite a bit deeper than the other 2 bedroom suites. AND I was wrong about the upper bed, it looks like it lowers from the side wall (that is against the next suite) and NOT the wall against the hallway outside the suite. Oops, my memory is failing - this was only a month ago! :D

My pictures didn't come out well; we were having camera malfunctions where much of the left side of the photos were cut off, but hopefully you can get an idea of the space. Not as many pictures of the second bedroom as I thought I took - probably lost by the bad camera..

I have uploaded all of my suite pictures to webshots.com at this address:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/582600698IefPWi

Let me know if you have a hard time accessing them; I don't really like webshots.com. I can post a few on here individually.

Robin

Robin - Great detailed photo's...looking forward to 2 bdr suite next Jan...Like the way you took all the suite pictures before you even set sail. Looks like you hadn't gotten your luggage yet.

So, the 2nd bedroom in the 2-Bedroom Villa has a closet, but it's small? Someone told me there is no closet at all, only shelves. I was also told that you can also get a 24" extension for the bed which would be a big plus. I hope this works out.

Yep, there is a definite closet, although sideways and small. Having a hard time uploading the single photo, but in the above link it is #P2250036, labeled second bedroom closet (partial). I don't recall what the space on the left side was, either shelved or maybe another hanging bar? #P2250037 shows more of that same wall of storage, showing cabinets and drawers (the closet is to the right side, out of the picture).

We are planning to share this suite with our daughters next year. I know how much stuff they bring, and they will be putting any more delicate items (dresses, dress shoes, etc) in the master closet until they need them.

Robin

but the other couple traveling with us are watching their pennies.

Also keep in mind when figuring total $$ that they will have to add butler/concierge tips for the week if you switch them from a mini suite to a suite (not included in daily DSC). :)

All this information your giving me is very useful. Thanks to everyone who has shared their expertise. You would think that I have never cruised before. I have been on about 10, but this is my first time on NCL, and booking a Suite. If there isn't enough room for all their clothes in their closet they can use our's as well. Forgot about the tips, thanks for reminding me. If we go this route, do you think the purser's office will let us use separate Credit Cards? I thought of that when I was driving home from work today.

All this information your giving me is very useful. Thanks to everyone who has shared their expertise. You would think that I have never cruised before. I have been on about 10, but this is my first time on NCL, and booking a Suite. If there isn't enough room for all their clothes in their closet they can use our's as well. Forgot about the tips, thanks for reminding me. If we go this route, do you think the purser's office will let us use separate Credit Cards? I thought of that when I was driving home from work today.

Each person or couple can have a different CC on their account. No worries about splitting anything.

Archived