Skagway -WhitePass rail or Emerald Lake??

marysb

Has anyone got an opinion on this? We're not sure whether to take the train or rent a car to go all the way to Emerald Lake.

I am thinking that the highway runs parallel to the train for a fair bit of the way. Are the views that much better further on at Emerald Lake? The train sounds like more fun than a car, but if the scenery at Emerald Lake is really fantastic ..... hmm?

Wonderful pictures!!! I have done both trips, but I liked the car rental for us. We like to venture a bit more and stay longer in some areas than the train allowed. Also able to stop for bear pictures and other photo ops. Plus I am a control freak so being able to stop when I wanted was right up our alley!:)

Or...

You could take a tour that rides you to E. Lake and lets you take the train back.

This would be my recommendation. You are getting the best of both worlds.

The first time I went up to Alaska was in September, I did a tour that went all the way to Emerald Lake. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the lake. The scenery on the way there was beautiful, but I was underwhelmed by Emerald Lake. I thought Spirit Lake was much prettier.

The second time I went to Alaska was in May; we did the train both ways. It was great going up and the scenery is beautiful but you see the same stuff coming back down.

I do have links to the photos in my signature so feel free to check them out.

I agree with poster #3. We rented a car and drove the Klondike hwy. in 2009 and really enjoyed doing "our" own thing. We even stopped and saw the husky puppies. I think that was at Caribou Crossing. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I also like being more in control. So this June will be interesting to see how I like the difference of taking the train.

This June we are trying the train up and a shuttle back down through Chilkoot Charters. Want to hear the narration and see what the train sees on its journey since so many people recommend it.

You have at least three options -

Rent a car and drive to Carcross and Emerald lake on your own - you can also visit Caribou Crossing and have a BBQ lunch and visit the sled dogs.

Take the 7.5 hr Train/Bus tour from Chillkoot Charters - Train from Skagway to Fraiser, bus from Fraiser to Carcross - it also offers lunch at Caribou Crossing and an optional visit with the sled dogs. This tour is about 1/3 train and 2/3 bus.

Take the 9hr Train/Bus combo from Chillkoot Charters - Train from Skagway to Carcross and bus return. Lunch in Bennett. This trip is 2/3 train and 1/3 bus. It also spends most of its time winding around Lake Bennett where the hy does not go.

Take the 7.5 hr Train/Bus tour from Chillkoot Charters - Train from Skagway to Fraiser, bus from Fraiser to Carcross - it also offers lunch at Caribou Crossing and an optional visit with the sled dogs. This tour is about 1/3 train and 2/3 bus.

This is the one I just booked, with the dogs, and we're so excited!

I know that renting a car would give us more options on our own, but then one of us wouldn't be able really to look at the scenery en route (only at stops), and we didn't think that was fair!

Has anyone got an opinion on this? We're not sure whether to take the train or rent a car to go all the way to Emerald Lake.

I am thinking that the highway runs parallel to the train for a fair bit of the way. Are the views that much better further on at Emerald Lake? The train sounds like more fun than a car, but if the scenery at Emerald Lake is really fantastic ..... hmm?

For clarification- the common views of the White Pass RR and the Klondike Highway are only a couple miles. The train does not go to Emerald Lake, the farthest you can take it is Carcross, on the Lake Bennett tour. This particular trip is the "best" scenery in my opinion. Just spectacular. :)

Thanks for all the responses. Loved the photos InternetAgeTraveler!

Since we are traveling as a family, the car trip may save us a bit of money. I had a look at Murray's Guide and I found this note on his website.

Canadians - it appears likely that you will be allowed to rent a car in Skagway and drive into BC and the Yukon as of June 1st due to taxation and related changes to the federal budget.

We are Canadian - what are the issues with the car rentals and why ever would we not be allowed to rent?

Thanks for all the responses. Loved the photos InternetAgeTraveler!

Since we are traveling as a family, the car trip may save us a bit of money. I had a look at Murray's Guide and I found this note on his website.

Canadians - it appears likely that you will be allowed to rent a car in Skagway and drive into BC and the Yukon as of June 1st due to taxation and related changes to the federal budget.

We are Canadian - what are the issues with the car rentals and why ever would we not be allowed to rent?

As of right now, you would not be able to go into Canada with a US car. There is currently some legal stuff going on now- look back several posts for the details.

Having looked at some of the photos of Emerald Lake I can see why you would want to see it in person. However I think that Lake Bennett is also equally pretty as are most all of the lakes in the region. I guess I don't see how Emerald Lake is that much of a deal maker or breaker.

We were disappointed when we figured out that our ship was going to be in Skagway on Monday and the Lake Bennett train does not run on Sunday or Monday because I had also heard it was so scenic on that run.

Well, guess I will just have to go back again and not be in Skagway on Sunday or Monday.

Having looked at some of the photos of Emerald Lake I can see why you would want to see it in person. However I think that Lake Bennett is also equally pretty as are most all of the lakes in the region. I guess I don't see how Emerald Lake is that much of a deal maker or breaker.

It is a TURN around point to have listed, so you know the distance. About it.

This would be my recommendation. You are getting the best of both worlds.

The first time I went up to Alaska was in September, I did a tour that went all the way to Emerald Lake. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the lake. The scenery on the way there was beautiful, but I was underwhelmed by Emerald Lake. I thought Spirit Lake was much prettier.

The second time I went to Alaska was in May; we did the train both ways. It was great going up and the scenery is beautiful but you see the same stuff coming back down.

I do have links to the photos in my signature so feel free to check them out.

Great photos. Looks like you were really lucky with the weather on both your Alaska trips. :)

Yep - no train on Sunday :mad: .

OH MY GOODNESS - What are the chances??? We are on the Volendam and get into Skagway on a Sunday .... and .... we can't rent a car to cross the border since we are Canadian.

OK,

anyone have a plan B?

OH MY GOODNESS - What are the chances??? We are on the Volendam and get into Skagway on a Sunday .... and .... we can't rent a car to cross the border since we are Canadian.

OK,

anyone have a plan B?

Take the regular White Pass RR, combo tour to the Yukon or short one BC and back.

OK,

anyone have a plan B?

You can still do the 7.5 hr Chilkoot tour (train and bus) which goes to only the tip of Lake Bennett. You just can't do the 11 hour tour (where the train goes around the side of Lake Bennett).

Great photos. Looks like you were really lucky with the weather on both your Alaska trips. :)

Thanks! We had good weather on the September but had phenomenal weather on the May cruise. It was so warm, especially the day we were docked in Ketchikan.