What to do in Mykonos DIY?

DonRobertoSanJuan

Just returned last week from Mykonos. NCL Jade docked at the closer port so no need to shuttle. We walked to town. Spent the day wandering, taking pictures, stopped for a light lunch, shopped and then rented ATVS for a couple of hours in the afternoon from Hercules rentals. $15 plus gas.

Very quiet, laid back visit. And beautiful. Espcially since we weren't able to tender in to Santorini. :(

No, we are there on Saturday, June 9th from 2:00 - 9:00. Could it be because we are there later in the day? This is really confusing and I can't understand what NCL was thinking.

I'm on the Spirit for the 10/25 sailing arriving on a Wednesday and Delos is on the shore excursion list. Did you call - perhaps it is sold out. Sounds like the ferry might be easy too.

Does anyone have recommendations for a beach that is easy to get to? I originally was interested in Elia, but the bus schedule is not frequent enough for us to get back in time as we're docked from 12N-7pm on Ruby Princess. I've heard Paradise is too loud and more for a party crowd, but are there any other good options?

If anyone has a better idea on the bus schedule too, that would be a huge help! The best schedule I can find is from 2008! I guess the Mykonos bus company doesn't believe in websites :rolleyes:

I'm on the Spirit for the 10/25 sailing arriving on a Wednesday and Delos is on the shore excursion list. Did you call - perhaps it is sold out. Sounds like the ferry might be easy too.

Just walk to the pier and sign up for a ferry/excursion to Delos. The guiding is included in the price.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have recommendations for a beach that is easy to get to? I originally was interested in Elia, but the bus schedule is not frequent enough for us to get back in time as we're docked from 12N-7pm on Ruby Princess. I've heard Paradise is too loud and more for a party crowd, but are there any other good options?

If anyone has a better idea on the bus schedule too, that would be a huge help! The best schedule I can find is from 2008! I guess the Mykonos bus company doesn't believe in websites :rolleyes:

REALLY interested in what you did! we are on the Ruby in August and also want to take the bus to Elia but with short time frame we're concerned about bus schedule and I'm not sure there will be a lot of taxis available. hope you're having a great cruise!

Former Brooklynite Dwayne

We have twice got the bus from Mykonos town to Platy Gialos and spent some hours there. In general the bus runs every half hour (there might be one missed over lunchtime), and it's only a 10 minute or so ride - it's a couple of mile or so out of town.

Here's a link to the best map I know of Mykonos town. You can see where the bus for Platy Gialos leaves from (red/yellow dot on the l/hand side). If you're tendering you'll be dropped somewhere near where the little figure '1' is. If you're docked you'll be entering Mykonos Town form the r/hand side of the map. My recollection is that shuttle coaches drop people off somewhere to the right of where the little figure '3' is (itself on the r/hand of the map). Then you can walk through the town to the bus stop.

Below are some tips and ideas for Athens. In Mykonos, we did some wonderful walking around in the cute, charming village there, then rented a car at a fairly reasonable price to explore the rest of this fairly compact island, see its beaches, etc. Easy to drive and explore then on your own, at your post. Below are some visuals as examples on Mykonos. Love the Greek Island and Turkish Coast.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 88,292 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos near many outdoor dining places that overlook the harbor.:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers. The second picture is from Elia Beach.:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Here is an additional visual sampls on the opposite side from the Mykonos village for various beachside activities:

MykBeachHuts.jpg

REALLY interested in what you did! we are on the Ruby in August and also want to take the bus to Elia but with short time frame we're concerned about bus schedule and I'm not sure there will be a lot of taxis available. hope you're having a great cruise!

Former Brooklynite Dwayne

Unfortunately, the seas and wind were too rough the day we were supposed to visit Mykonos, so it was impossible to tender or dock there. Very sad! Apparently, this happens quite often, so prepare yourself for that possibility.

Archived