Curious about opinions of the best public beach in MoBay area.

leaveitallbehind

We have been to Montego Bay 3 times and always go to Doctor's Cave Beach because it is on the hip strip..shopping, Margaritaville( they have a awesome slide into the Caribbean if you have kids) and everything you would want in one area.. it is only 5 dollars to get in and it is beautiful. We are leaving on a cruise April 15th to go back to Mobay and I am sure we will end up at Dr's cave at some point in the day.

We have been to Montego Bay 3 times and always go to Doctor's Cave Beach because it is on the hip strip..shopping, Margaritaville( they have a awesome slide into the Caribbean if you have kids) and everything you would want in one area.. it is only 5 dollars to get in and it is beautiful. We are leaving on a cruise April 15th to go back to Mobay and I am sure we will end up at Dr's cave at some point in the day.

We've been several times as well just never to the beach there. Always doing something else on the hip stip with lunch at Margaritaville, sightseeing at Mayfield falls, etc. But this time we are planning some time at the beach and Doctors Cave was actually the one we were planning on. But not having been to the beach in MoBay was interested in opinions and yours is much appreciated - probably will stick to the plan with Dr.'s. Thanks!

We've been several times as well just never to the beach there. Always doing something else on the hip stip with lunch at Margaritaville, sightseeing at Mayfield falls, etc. But this time we are planning some time at the beach and Doctors Cave was actually the one we were planning on. But not having been to the beach in MoBay was interested in opinions and yours is much appreciated - probably will stick to the plan with Dr.'s. Thanks!

Dr. Cave Beach... It's cheap, clean, beautiful, enjoyable.

Everybody has a different opinion but I really do like going to Dr's.. I have not been to another beach in Mobay so I have nothing to compare it too.. May I ask you a Question now?

Did you enjoy your trip to Mayfield falls? I am planning to go to Mayfield falls this trip because I have always done the Dr's with my daughter and now I want to see Jamaica.. Did you enjoy the trip to the falls? My Daughter age 19 went last month and enjoyed it but I wan't to make sure it beautiful and I will be able to see something other than the hip strip lol..

Thanks for your opinion and Thank you in advance for helping me also.. I love this site for this reason,every one is very helpful!

Everybody has a different opinion but I really do like going to Dr's.. I have not been to another beach in Mobay so I have nothing to compare it too.. May I ask you a Question now?

Did you enjoy your trip to Mayfield falls? I am planning to go to Mayfield falls this trip because I have always done the Dr's with my daughter and now I want to see Jamaica.. Did you enjoy the trip to the falls? My Daughter age 19 went last month and enjoyed it but I wan't to make sure it beautiful and I will be able to see something other than the hip strip lol..

Thanks for your opinion and Thank you in advance for helping me also.. I love this site for this reason,every one is very helpful!

We've done Dunn's River a couple of times and enjoyed that - but really liked Mayfield also. Far more laid back and not nearly as intense in terms of the climb, but the water pools are enojoyable and the scenery quite nice. There are falls that you climb but more stepped and not nearly as steep or sharp a climb. The guides are great and it was far less crowded when we did it - maybe a group of a dozen of us total. The drive there is really something else to experience - after a teaser ride along the coast, you turn inland and climb through the mountains that have some rather dramatic cliffisides along a narrow road. Very scenic and also quite interesting when negotiating oncoming traffic! But all in all it was one of the most enjoyable tours we took. We would do it again.

Thank you very much for the info, Mayfield falls sounds exactly what I am looking for!

I think you will enjoy it. Here's a few pictures from the falls from our trip. (Kept us out of them!) Tried to give a selection showing the entrance to the falls, various shots of the pools and elevations, and the surrounding mountain scenery. It is quite different from Dunns River but a very relaxing day.

1185145558_JeweloftheSeas12-08CaribbeanandPanamaCanal205.jpg.55e8db1ca1d92cdddaca2c26486817ae.jpg

1372226193_JeweloftheSeas12-08CaribbeanandPanamaCanal209.jpg.edeb83f9859af3ccfccd27d4751e830f.jpg

1079836188_JeweloftheSeas12-08CaribbeanandPanamaCanal215.jpg.f9001feb0a108d7e0fd655458dfe391f.jpg

912308806_JeweloftheSeas12-08CaribbeanandPanamaCanal235.jpg.1696c1284067b544f2b422d4086e525d.jpg

1709845339_JeweloftheSeas12-08CaribbeanandPanamaCanal255.jpg.9a9c26ec423521b8dce88599cefc3ac2.jpg

We were at Dr Cave beach a week ago. It cost $10 RT for 2. It cost $5 per person to get in, total $20 for the day. We found a tree for shade and spread out our towels. The snorkeling was as good as Corona Beach in Cozumel. If you want to see fish and life, looking at the water go to your left about 100 yards out. There is a lot of small fish by the pier to the right. Bring a couple of boxes of fruit loops from the ship. You will make a lot of fish smile. If you have a good camera, you can get some good pictures of jets landing over the water heading to the airport. Not as good as St Martin, but not bad.

When we were done we walked out of Dr Cave , turned left and walked 2 blocks through the hip strip , bought ($12) 6 cold Red and Whites:p. We crossed the road a continued shopping the strip. We made it past Jimmy Buffets place(neat), to the Burger King and grabbed a soda. Rested, then walked back to Buffets and picked up the bus back to town. Very inexpensive day in MO BAY.:)

We were at Dr Cave beach a week ago. It cost $10 RT for 2. It cost $5 per person to get in, total $20 for the day. We found a tree for shade and spread out our towels. The snorkeling was as good as Corona Beach in Cozumel. If you want to see fish and life, looking at the water go to your left about 100 yards out. There is a lot of small fish by the pier to the right. Bring a couple of boxes of fruit loops from the ship. You will make a lot of fish smile. If you have a good camera, you can get some good pictures of jets landing over the water heading to the airport. Not as good as St Martin, but not bad.

When we were done we walked out of Dr Cave , turned left and walked 2 blocks through the hip strip , bought ($12) 6 cold Red and Whites:p. We crossed the road a continued shopping the strip. We made it past Jimmy Buffets place(neat), to the Burger King and grabbed a soda. Rested, then walked back to Buffets and picked up the bus back to town. Very inexpensive day in MO BAY.:)

Very similar to our plans - except we will grab lunch at Margaritaville. While we have done this in the past, there are people in our group who have not been to MoBay or the hip strip, etc., but they also wanted a beach visit. So all the good info on Dr.s' cave is a real help! With this ship itinerary we are docking at Falmouth and have r/t transportation for our group from there. Appreciate the response and comments - reassures our original thoughts on the beach. Thanks!

but here is the review of Dr's Cave I posted on the Montego Bay thread:

After reading reviews on here, we decided to take the hop on/hop off to Doctor's Cave. Despite being told when we handed over our S&S that it was $5p/p, we ended up being charged $8 p/p. Not a huge difference, but it kinda irritated me. Then when we got to Doctor's Cave, we paid for an umbrella (which was great). But within 30 minutes, the beach was soooo crowded, we were packed literally head to toe. We got hassled like crazy by locals trying to sell junk, not to mention people in crazy costumes getting in front of my face being silly trying to get me to pay for a picture with them. My husband and I ate in shifts at the restaurant there (which was fine) because we were scared to leave our spots. We wouldn't have been able to find another spot, it was that crowded.

When I went to the bathroom, there were women crowding the entrance trying to get you to pay to braid your hair. When my husband went to the bathroom, he got offered weed.

Needless to say, we weren't too thrilled with Doctor's Cave by the end of the day.

Archived