Need Help deciding next cruise line ... Seabourn/Seadream/Windstar

OrlEngr

Hi ...

We need a little help ... Trying to decide on our next cruise and would like to do something more "special" than previous cruises. We have been on the other major lines (HAL, Princess, RCCL, CCL) and looking for more luxurious cruise. We just got back from HAL and Virgin Islands and would like to go back and explore more completely.

I like the idea of a sail boat ... but can somebody help me compare/contrast these lines to help us decide what is best for us. We are in our (LATE) 30's but don't necessarily need a wild party constantly. Good food is a plus but doesn't have to be gourmet.

We would like to determine which would provide the best experience. I'm also posting at other CC pages to get their opinion ... but please tell me what you like about Seabourn line.

Things I like about Seabourn:

-Only 200 passengers vs 2000

-complimentary spirits vs constant signing and huge bar tabs

-outstanding crew & cruise directors

-personalized service vs being a "number"

-The word "no" is not in the staff vocabulary (except in the gift shop)

-stress free compared to mainstream lines - no pushing & shoving to get off the ship at ports.

I can't compare to any other luxury line as Seabourn is the only one I have sailed.

Also~~~~"you're only a stranger ONCE on a Seabourn ship!"

And Matt, let's not forget that the sweet Housekeepers always turn our clocks back

(or forward) in order for us to always know the correct time!

Most ships do not even have clocks in the Suites!

Happy Sailing!

Martita

We have been on all 3.

All have excellent food and service. The differences tend to be subtle and based on personal preference. Just a few highlights.

Windstar. We like the 2 smaller ships and have been on them several times including charters. 144 passengers. Positive - More intimate. Can run under full sail power. A great experience. No smoking anywhere indoors; restricted on deck. "Casual/elegant" No tux/dress up. Negative - not "all inclusive". Cabins smaller but comfortable. We found the larger ship (Windsurf) to lack the charm of the 2 smaller ships.

Seadream - (1 week. Then 2 weeks.) Only 100 passengers. Beautiful ship. No smoking anywhere indoors; restricted on deck. "Country Club casual" - no tux/dress up. Negative: can have children and groups.

Seabourn - (2 weeks) 200 passengers. Positive - nice cabins. Very good entertainment. Very well run ship. Negative - smoking allowed anywhere outside and extensively inside in public areas. Least well designed outdoor dining (veranda). Negative for some - Tux/dress code.

You probably can't go wrong on any of the three and it really depends upon what is important to you personally.

I would suggest that you read through the serious comments of each on the boards (remembering to separate out facts from opinion about what others just know you will like).

OrlEngr,

All the lines you mention are really nice. One of the main differences between Seabourn and Seadream / Windstar is that Seabourn tends to be a more formal / dressy in the evenings. If you 2 love to get dressed up, Seabourn may be the way to go. Seadream and Windstar are more of a country club casual experience.

Another difference is the fact that Seabourn and Seadream are "all-inclusive" meaning spirits, champagne, beer and wine are included in the price. Tips are also included. Although I personally haven't sailed Windstar, I have sailed Le Ponant, a french sailing-cruise ship. The experience of being on a large yacht-like sailing ship can be very romantic. Note the size of the cabins though. I am 40, and have sailed Seabourn for several years, and also have sailed on the Seadream ship(s). You wont be bored at all. The experience can be as up-beat or low-key as you wish!

Please let us know what you decide and why!

Good Luck!

Host Dan

I appreciate the info ... simply in information gather stage ... just got off my last cruise on Sunday ... and starting to shop for the next.

Leaning a little more toward Seabourn right this second ... Are all the dinners formal or just a couple (on a 7 day)? My wife likes to dress up ... but not sure if I can afford 6-7 new gowns:D

I will keep lurking around and see what else I can pick up!

OrlEngr~~~~WELCOME!

On a 7-Day cruise there will be 2 formal evenings. The second night of a sailing is usually the 1st formal......"Captain's Welcome." Then the fifth night, there will be another formal evening. (Club night is a dressy cocktail party. It's simply a "thank you" for all the Guests on board that have previously sailed on a Seabourn ship) Other evenings, the ladies will dress in "Country Club" dinner attire and the gentlemen will wear jackets....most wear ties. I'm speaking of, "in the Dining room." In the Veranda Cafe, it's usually casual.

The 1st night is very casual......also the last night.

Many of us enjoy our formal evenings......before dinner, we meet in the Club around 6:30 or so, for "fellowship and cocktails!"

Come join us! We'd love to have you!

Martita

One 'basic black dress-short or long' and a few sparkly tops/pashminas/jewelry changes is all a woman needs for a week or 3. 'Mix and Match' is the name of the game and no one is faulted/slighted with a repeat. After all, one wines and dines with so many different people, so no one really remembers or cares. I'ts the company and the fun that counts, not the numbers of outfits-or their cost.

Jane in PHL (using up my last few minutes on the Seaborn cybercafe)

Archived