epic; allure; oasis; when is carnival going to have a destination ship?

H82seaUgo

CCL, on the other hand, just keeps building the same thing. This may work for CCL because their main target is new cruisers, but at some point, the sameness is going to force passengers to want to try other things.

Believe me, I would LOVE to see CCL come out with something totally new and innovative. But so far, new and innovative hasn't been CCL's thing.

Totally agree, this is exactly why I decied to book the Breeze... it's not totally new and innovative to the extent that I would like to see from CCL (yet another ship built on a derivative of the Destiny class platform), but it seems to at least be a step in the right direction. Unless whatever they design next is new (and I don't mean more Sunshine retrofits), I'll probably become more of a very occasional Carnival cruiser, if that.

I never drank the Carnival koolaid though so I am not worried about John Heald sending Freddy Funnel to come by and shoot up my house for trying a different line.

Hilarious LOL

Brand fanaticism at its best. I never understood it.

I to had apprehensions about these big ships as well but in the end, they get awesome reviews and honestly I want to try em out. I never drank the Carnival koolaid though so I am not worried about John Heald sending Freddy Funnel to come by and shoot up my house for trying a different line.

I don't understand it. I choose a particular line based on what I am looking for for that particular cruise. With kids, I am on Carnival. With adults Princess or RCI - or maybe Celebrity if the price is ok.

...and you never have to worry about Funship Freddy coming by to shoot up your house - it is your soul he comes for. Even the Grim Reaper is scared of Funship Freddy.

Lines? For what?

6 cruises on that class and I don't recall ever waiting in a line for anything. :confused:

Those experiences may have been early on? ..before the ship's systems had things 'wired'?

I am RCCL diamond, and Carnival Platinum. I enjoy both cruise lines, and I am sure I would enjoy every other line I would travel on.

Price is the major factor for me. I would rather go on 10 cruises a year, then 5 at double the price.

Carnival offers the best deals for me, so Carnival I will travel. If other lines have a better rate I will go on them. I am looking forward to trying NCL one of these days, just not willing to pay extra for it.

- - -

Unfortunately it seemed to us that each subsequent CCL cruise we took after 2006/2007, actually declined. :( Service for traditional dining was not the same because servers were now waiting on more tables, so service wasn't quite up to what we were used to. We tried Any Time Dining and forget it...that just wasn't good for us (we gave it a second chance and still did not enjoy it on CCL at ALL, and are going back to traditional for our upcoming CCL cruise).

- - -

A LOT of the reason that NCL 'wins' as our current favorite line (for lack of a better word) for us over CCL now is attention to small detail, a feeling that they actually care what you think and if you are having a good time. Most of all, the crew and officers are what make it special. I have sailed on CCL, Celebrity and Royal and all crew members are great...however NCL are a notch (or two) above.

---

There should be no 'fear' associated with branching out.....they're cruises. How bad can it be?? :)

Having just come off of Carnival, I was pleasantly surprised. MDR service was tied for the best I have experienced at sea - both being with Carnival.

Food quality was just as good (but there was a bit less selection in the MDR).

Drink service in the MDR, while good was a little bit slower because it was clear he had to cover more tables. This was not a problem for us because he knew what we drank and had it waiting for us every day.

The biggest cutback and closest thing to a disappointment was a clear downsizing of the musicians. There were still several options, but it was mainly a soloist, duos or a trio instead of a full sized band.

All in all though, I was very pleased with Splendor and actually thought they did better than last time (still in a close 3rd place behind Princess and RCI though).

I am very much a traditional dining person, so NCL is out for me. Thank goodness there are choices for people's varying tastes.

Your last line says it all - they are all cruises.

I've sailed on allure last year, it feels like living in a generic suburban mall for a week with the occasional oceanviewm from time to time. The lame gimmicks fit right in to an outlet mall and same mediocore to foodcourt quality food in the specialty restaurants, the malls usually dont feel crowded too but there is a sea of people all the time (pardon the pun)

Carnival ships are no better in quality or any other aspect and don't have the gimmicks, but you dont feel like you lived in the mall for a week atleast.

Im not impressed by parking lot fairs and suburban megamalls, so i wasnt in anyway impressed with a floating mall. But the food and service on either lines are generic to poor anyways, i just see the diff btwn carnival ships and the floating malls as strip plazas vs megamall, dont really like either of them, but u go anyways to grab what u need and go.

Instead of floating malls, rci should learn to improve quality and differentiate from bargain basement cruising that carnival has mastered or innovate like ncl

This post is so full of sour grapes that it makes my mouth pucker! I have read your posts before and for the most part they are very negative. Why do you cruise at all, you don't consider it actual travel, as you stated before, and you seem to think you are above it all. Just slumming it on occasion?

Our first cruise on NCL was in 2007. We had read horror stories on here and I was not sure that booking the cruise was a good idea. My husband found a deal (it was a steal to be honest). We spent 15 days on the ship. I thought trying a new line with a 15 day sailing was insane, but the price was just too good to pass up because it was a repo (which are now our favorite sailings).

It was my first experience without traditional dining, so that threw me because I was so used to having the same server and that server getting to know me. So I was not impressed with Freestyle at all that first cruise.

The food for us on that first cruise was not as good as Carnival's....not horrible by any means, but not as good. At that point, we had sailed on Celebrity as well and Carnival had better mdr food than NCL and Celebrity (Celebrity's 'Supper Club'" was superior over any surcharge restaurants on NCl or Carnival, however)

Since that first NCL cruise in 2007, we have sailed both CCL and NCL. Each and every NCL cruise we took after that one, got better. I suddenly fell in love with the Freestyle dining, loved the flexibility with time plus the added benefit that when we met people on board that we liked, we'd all hook up for dinner and it was great :)

Unfortunately it seemed to us that each subsequent CCL cruise we took after 2006/2007, actually declined. :( Service for traditional dining was not the same because servers were now waiting on more tables, so service wasn't quite up to what we were used to. We tried Any Time Dining and forget it...that just wasn't good for us (we gave it a second chance and still did not enjoy it on CCL at ALL, and are going back to traditional for our upcoming CCL cruise). Suddenly CCL not only stopped exceeding our expectations, they began to fail to meet them. This came as a surprise to both my DH and I because we were huge fans. I actually began to notice the changes/differences at first...my DH was still holding CCL as his #1 until we cruised on the NCL Dawn for the first time and then he looked at me and said, "Wow, you're right. This is better."

Currently, to me, there is not one bit of difference in the mdr food on the 2 lines...and NCL wins with their buffet (which is a lot better) and of course, the pay options (if you so choose) are wonderful.

NCL also has outdoor BBQing on sea days....it's pretty awesome.

A LOT of the reason that NCL 'wins' as our current favorite line (for lack of a better word) for us over CCL now is attention to small detail, a feeling that they actually care what you think and if you are having a good time. Most of all, the crew and officers are what make it special. I have sailed on CCL, Celebrity and Royal and all crew members are great...however NCL are a notch (or two) above.

Since K.Sheehan took over, his emphasis has been customer service. Before you even get ON an NCL ship it's different...just on these boards alone. When there is an issue, NCL people who monitor the CC boards pop into the thread and solve the poster's problem....which is why their threads are less active. There aren't 20 pages per thread of rants vs cheerleaders. NCL steps in and, Viola! Poster with a question, issue or problem is happy. :)

Once on board, it's amazing. The hotel directors are around the ship all day, every day for every sailing talking with people and getting feedback. Do you have a problem?? Immediately, they take out their phone, call the appropriate crew member to handle your issue and problem is solved.

I have never seen anything like that on any of the lines I have sailed.

I couldn't tell you the name of any hotel director on any other line but on NCL, you do know.

The crew are genuinely happy and like their jobs...when you have a happy crew, the passengers feel that and it's contagious, so you wind up with a ship of happy people. I have only sailed NCL 5 times, but do not recall ever seeing a line at the pursers desk full of angry people.

NCL alos offers more live music and better deck parties.

I don't need much from a cruise. I cruise for the sea and because I enjoy being pampered :). being a SAH Mom for many years meant I waited on people day in and day out and I was a service employee for many years prior to staying at home, so when I cruise and have someone cleaning my cabin, bringing me drinks and making my meals, I am happy...but also what affects my cruise is that 'feel' I mentioned.....For me, NCL just feels better. Everyone is different....and there are all those choices of line for all of us different people who want something different out of our cruise. But one thing I learned after that first NCL cruise is, do NOT listen to other people...you can only know if you will like a cruise if you try it yourself.

No matter what, it won't be horrible...and you may just have a blast. You may not like NCL as much as I do...just like I wasn't as thrilled with Celebrity as some are, but my Celebrity cruise wasn't awful and I'm happy that I tried it.

There should be no 'fear' associated with branching out.....they're cruises. How bad can it be?? :)

Another A+ post from you! This is exactly how we feel to!

I certainly hope Carnival doesn't build any ships larger than the Dream class. The exterior promenade is wonderful, but I miss my balcony overlooking the sea;

Whew....I almost asked if the Dream or Magic have balconies which you cannot see the ocean. Duh. That's the main issue I have with the Allure/Oasis. I couldn't imagine spending coin on a balcony and not see the ocean AND watching someone else watch me. ;-). Then it's another upgrade for the ocean view balcony. The feeling of being too crowded though I hear it's not also concerns me.

We've had 6 Carnival cruises and 1 Royal Caribbean.....enjoyed them all. The reason for the disparity is that Carnival's prices are hard to beat and they've always given us everything we've asked for in a cruise. But I realize too that variety is the spice of life and I'd certainly like to sail on the Allure or Oasis....and because of reading recent posts i'd love to try out the NCL Epic too! Hopefully someday we will....as well as Princess and Celebrity and Holland, lol. I envy all you folk who are able to go on multiple cruises a year.....must be GREAT!!! :)

Might have something to do with the fact that this is a CCL board. If I wanted to hear about the other lines I would go to those boards. Here, I want to talk to other CCL cruisers about CCL cruises. Not you, but this board gets trolled a lot by people that haven't grown up yet.

You're correct that this is the CCL board, which is why the question of whether or not CCL would ever build a ship like Oasis/Allure/Epic was posted here. Would be kind of silly to post it elsewhere since it's a question about CCL.

Well, my family and I are about to branch out. This will be our 1st Carnival cruise (breeze July 2012) However we have sailed 5 times with RCCL and to be honest its the price that has drawn us to CCL.

The ice rink on RCCL was nice BUT we were too nervous to skate in case we had an accident on holiday.

The Flowrider was nice BUT was hardly ever open or the queues were too long

The Rockclimbing wall was nice BUT it was hardly ever open or too hot to climb.

There was always a BUT........so was it worth the cost......No not really.

My husband and I want to rediscover that 1st cruise from 2005 and remember why we loved it so much. And its simple........The 3 S's.......SUN......SEA...... and...... SAILAWAY............with a cheeky drink in hand to go with it........no bells or whistles....just a Breeze...!

Whew....I almost asked if the Dream or Magic have balconies which you cannot see the ocean. Duh. That's the main issue I have with the Allure/Oasis. I couldn't imagine spending coin on a balcony and not see the ocean AND watching someone else watch me. ;-). Then it's another upgrade for the ocean view balcony. The feeling of being too crowded though I hear it's not also concerns me.

This is exactly my problem with Oasis/Freedom/Voyager classes. The focus of the ship directs you inside. For me personally, I am on a cruise, I want the public spaces and everything to be about the sea.

The one thing I wish Carnival would add is some kind of observation lounge. All Royal ships have the Viking Crown Lounge, HAL has the Crow's Nest, NCL has Spinnakers, Princess has Skywalkers, and Celebrity has the forward lounge over the bridge.

This is exactly my problem with Oasis/Freedom/Voyager classes. The focus of the ship directs you inside. For me personally, I am on a cruise, I want the public spaces and everything to be about the sea.

The one thing I wish Carnival would add is some kind of observation lounge. All Royal ships have the Viking Crown Lounge, HAL has the Crow's Nest, NCL has Spinnakers, Princess has Skywalkers, and Celebrity has the forward lounge over the bridge.

I agree...who wants to spend time inside during the day...I am on vacation to be out on the lido deck

All I see CCL doing is crowding the lido...

Wow that would be cool...Observation lounge

I agree...who wants to spend time inside during the day...I am on vacation to be out on the lido deck

That sums up my cruise days....I guess that makes me a chair hog, 'cause I be sittin' in that chair ALL freakin' day :D

I only sailed on one RCI ship (Explorer) and I never saw so much ocean...the views on that ship are amazing. I didn't feel drawn inward at all...are the newer ships different (meaning less windows/glass to see outside)???

All I see CCL doing is crowding the lido...

Wow that would be cool...Observation lounge

That is where I tend to spend much of my time sailing. I especially like the ships where it is all the way forward over the bridge giving you floor to ceiling 180 degree views of the sea (Celebrity, HAL, NCL).

That sums up my cruise days....I guess that makes me a chair hog, 'cause I be sittin' in that chair ALL freakin' day :D

I only sailed on one RCI ship (Explorer) and I never saw so much ocean...the views on that ship are amazing. I didn't feel drawn inward at all...are the newer ships different (meaning less windows/glass to see outside)???

I have cruise ENVY...3 days until you are off to Hawaii....lol

No, they are not different. Yes, there are more interior venues, but the same old ocean views are still there. In fact, the Solarium on Oasis Class is sprawled across the entire front of the top deck and is all glass. It's the most beautiful adults only venue of any cruise ship. Plus, the Viking Crown Lounge is still there.

No, they are not different. Yes, there are more interior venues, but the same old ocean views are still there. In fact, the Solarium on Oasis Class is sprawled across the entire front of the top deck and is all glass. It's the most beautiful adults only venue of any cruise ship. Plus, the Viking Crown Lounge is still there.

That's good to know.

Although my least favorite cruise (in terms of food/service) was on RCI, I must say that the ship was the most beautiful of all I have sailed (coming in second would be the NCL Spirit...also gorgeous, but in a different way)

I thought Explorer was visually spectacular.

You're correct that this is the CCL board, which is why the question of whether or not CCL would ever build a ship like Oasis/Allure/Epic was posted here. Would be kind of silly to post it elsewhere since it's a question about CCL.

The op was fine but what did the trolls and haters turn it into?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's good to know.

Although my least favorite cruise (in terms of food/service) was on RCI, I must say that the ship was the most beautiful of all I have sailed (coming in second would be the NCL Spirit...also gorgeous, but in a different way)

I thought Explorer was visually spectacular.

Were you on the EOS out of Jersey? I agree with you. Service declined on that ship after going there. It isn't bad - just not as great as usual. From what I was told, and I could definitely see it, was the staff puts up with a lot more attitude from that port, therefore resulting in not being as friendly. Don't let the service on that ship sway you. Oasis is spectacular in every way and everyone should try it once. If you thought EOS was visually spectacular, the Oasis will blow you away.

Archived