Question about the anchor

JLC@SD

Twice I have noticed that when a HAL ship departed Fort Lauderdale, the anchor on the starboard side was hanging down just above the water. Today it was the Eurodam with the anchor down. Anyone know why.

Twice I have noticed that when a HAL ship departed Fort Lauderdale, the anchor on the starboard side was hanging down just above the water. Today it was the Eurodam with the anchor down. Anyone know why.

This is safety precaution in port. Ships do this, in case they lose propulsion while maneuvering in harbor, they can drop anchor quickly, to prevent drifting into anything.

Just a guess, but perhaps the crew had just repainted (while in port) the section of the hull that the anchor normally rests against when fully retracted. I'm sure there aren't too many opportunities to paint that part of the ship, and it probably sees a significant amount of ware (so waiting until the next dry dock might not be an option).

Don't HAL ships normally dock in Port Everglades with the Starboard side along the pier? If so, that would be the side that would be easier to paint while in port and that was the side you saw with the anchor partially lowered.

Here is a photo

934114238_EurodamAnchor.jpg.684df214299df9c73f76f5a40b2909c4.jpg

This is safety precaution in port. Ships do this, in case they lose propulsion while maneuvering in harbor, they can drop anchor quickly, to prevent drifting into anything.

Thank you Alphen, totally makes sense, I just learn something. Seems alot of us were wondering the same thing.

We must have been replying at the same time. Thanks for the info to reply my guess.

Still, I don't seem to remember other ship lines doing the same thing. Could this be a HAL policy that not many others have, or they do have it and I just didn't notice? If ships were to do this with their port side anchors, the Port Everglades web cams would spot it.

Thanks from me, too, alphen! I just learned something I didn't know before.

Here is a photo

If ships were to do this with their port side anchors, the Port Everglades web cams would spot it.

The photo I posted was a shot from the Port Everglades web cam. You can see the starboard side anchor, if it is down, as the ships approach the lower camera.

It IS a SAFETY issue, the anchor is standing by to be let loose in case of a complete loss of steering or propulsion issues. And yes I am sure, RETIRED USN! Been there seen that dozens of times and YES not from any of my ships but it does work!

The anchor adds some weight to the side of the ship that is turning.

Now, fair Navay sailors, if you were to drop the anchor in port at slow speed, what would happen? NOTHING. It's the chain that secures the ship. Hello!

The anchor adds some weight to the side of the ship that is turning.
And wouldn't it add the same weight if it was in it's full up position? There's no leverage effect there. Straight down is straight down, whether it's at the water or high up.

I don't understand the weight issue. The anchor weighs the same up tight as hanging lose. Please explain??

The argument for the safety issue makes more sense, but I'm in over my head here.

WIth all due respect, I love it when the sailors/engineers/captains/crew come aboard these 'boards' and share their opinions/experiences/knowledge. Credentials aside, it's mostly evident when a 'professional' shares his/her knowledge of 'all things marine.'

All I know is I love ships. Love 'em. Love how they look, love how they sound,how they move in the water. Oh, yes, and there's that other wonderful aspect of having your every (mostly) need and desire met while enjoying all that shippy/watery stuff.

I need to book a cruise. All you 'ocean professionals' really educate and enlighten and I for one appreciate and learn a little more all the time.

Yup, going to book a cruise RIGHT NOW!

That piece of metal hanging down adds to the list of the ship. Upright it doesn't.

What you don't seem to understand is the anchor doesn't anchor the ship. The chain behind it does.

So if the ship, while leaving port, drops the anchor, the stop isn't immediate. The chain must pay out. Hence, no safty factor.

But the weight of it hanging helps the bow turn in the wind.

It IS a SAFETY issue, the anchor is standing by to be let loose in case of a complete loss of steering or propulsion issues. And yes I am sure, RETIRED USN! Been there seen that dozens of times and YES not from any of my ships but it does work!

Totally agree, spent 12 years as a boatswain's mate which job was assigned to be responsible for that operation. It is for safety reasons only especially in the narrow slot that the ship was maneuvering through. There is no way that with anchor hanging is going to help it turn faster, especially if your making a turn in the other direction.

That piece of metal hanging down adds to the list of the ship. Upright it doesn't.

What you don't seem to understand is the anchor doesn't anchor the ship. The chain behind it does.

So if the ship, while leaving port, drops the anchor, the stop isn't immediate. The chain must pay out. Hence, no safty factor.

But the weight of it hanging helps the bow turn in the wind.

That TOTALLY makes sense to me.....I see it the same as if i'm carry my purse with all my junk in it. If i carry in my hand with my arm down by my side it will make my body lean to that side, if I carry the same purse close to the center of my body, it will be more balanced an not feel as heavy. See, it's really easy just use one of my favorite thing (a purse) and I get it.:D:D

Archived