has anybody used Russiantourguides in St Petersburg

Has anybody used RussianTourGuides in St Petersburg and if so, what was your experience with them? I have been researching tour companies for St Petersberg and this one has an itinary that I really like and a reasonable price. The website says they are based in South Carolina, so it looks like they may be an agent for guides in Russia.

Has anybody used RussianTourGuides in St Petersburg and if so, what was your experience with them? I have been researching tour companies for St Petersberg and this one has an itinary that I really like and a reasonable price. The website says they are based in South Carolina, so it looks like they may be an agent for guides in Russia.

Personally, I would be a little caution about dealing with "agents" in the U.S. making promises for what you will or will not get, maybe, in Russia. Am not familiar with that firm and/or their operation.

If you are dealing with a "good firm" in St. Petersburg, they will provide a plan/schedule that is custom to YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS, not their interests. Why settle for less or different?

The honest truth is that there are a number of very good to excellent firms in St. Petersburg. I would write to four or five of the top firms, tell them exactly what you want, seek and love. See what you get back and which one is the "best fit" for your specific personal needs and travel style. Some people are very happy and satisfied with the basic, standard "formula" tour that is offered up. I am NOT a big fan of "one size fits all".

Others, like us, want things to be a little more custom. In our "planning process", I asked lots of questions (after doing some advance reading and research) and got back many good replies (quickly) from Anastasia that helped me get my arms around the many options in St. Petersburg. Getting your trip "flow" and "pacing" is very important for St. Petersburg. We were super happy with how it all worked in having a great mix for what we saw and how it fit together. Another key factor is their "flexibility". Once in Russia and doing the first day, we asked about a couple of "schedule adjustments" and they got things done in a smooth and excellent manner. One item was a request to stop at a shop to buy a Russian-style military hat and I asked about getting an early admission at the Hermitage to avoid some of the bus/mass crowds at the regular hour. Making things custom and personal was very important to us. Some firms are flexible and very responsive. Others are not that way, nor interested or caring. You need to determine what you want and need.

Below are a few of my photo examples for how a more "personal", custom tour can work out and allow more time to learn and "soak up" the true beauty for this great city with all of its charm and history.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 64,971 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 72,199 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

I would agree. I would always prefer to deal directly with a company rather than through an agent. There are plenty of reliable accredited Russian tour companies recommended on this board and they will discuss an itinerary with you.

Personally, I would be a little caution about dealing with "agents" in the U.S. making promises for what you will or will not get, maybe, in Russia. Am not familiar with that firm and/or their operation.

If you are dealing with a "good firm" in St. Petersburg, they will provide a plan/schedule that is custom to YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS, not their interests. Why settle for less or different?

The honest truth is that there are a number of very good to excellent firms in St. Petersburg. I would write to four or five of the top firms, tell them exactly what you want, seek and love. See what you get back and which one is the "best fit" for your specific personal needs and travel style. Some people are very happy and satisfied with the basic, standard "formula" tour that is offered up. I am NOT a big fan of "one size fits all".

Others, like us, want things to be a little more custom. In our "planning process", I asked lots of questions (after doing some advance reading and research) and got back many good replies (quickly) from Anastasia that helped me get my arms around the many options in St. Petersburg. Getting your trip "flow" and "pacing" is very important for St. Petersburg. We were super happy with how it all worked in having a great mix for what we saw and how it fit together. Another key factor is their "flexibility". Once in Russia and doing the first day, we asked about a couple of "schedule adjustments" and they got things done in a smooth and excellent manner. One item was a request to stop at a shop to buy a Russian-style military hat and I asked about getting an early admission at the Hermitage to avoid some of the bus/mass crowds at the regular hour. Making things custom and personal was very important to us. Some firms are flexible and very responsive. Others are not that way, nor interested or caring. You need to determine what you want and need.

Below are a few of my photo examples for how a more "personal", custom tour can work out and allow more time to learn and "soak up" the true beauty for this great city with all of its charm and history.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 64,971 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 72,199 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is excellent advice. There are several highly recommended private operators you will find on the boards here - SPB, Alla, Anastasia, TJ Travel and others. Check those out and I am sure you will find one used by many here which will fit your needs.

This is excellent advice. There are several highly recommended private operators you will find on the boards here - SPB, Alla, Anastasia, TJ Travel and others. Check those out and I am sure you will find one used by many here which will fit your needs.

Ditto!

Thank you all very much for the insight. I think I've narrowed it down to Alla or TJ.

By the way - great pictures Terry!!!!!!!

Now for the BIG decision - deciding which cruise line to go with - lol.

• Administrators

This member is asking about a specific tour company; please keep your responses limited to the discussion of that tour company or keep your comments general (and inclusive) in nature.

Archived