Denali Questions

firstalaskatrip

I'll be spending one full day in Denali (ie two nights stay), and I'm trying to figure out the best itinerary. After reading these forums, I think we will most likely take an Eilson Shuttle so we also have some time to hike as well. What is the best time of day to go? I've read that a lot of people prefer the first shuttle of the day. How important is this for best animal viewing? or mountain viewing? I'm not sure I'll be able to get my travel companion up that early. If not, is it better to take an afternoon trip with chance of evening viewing or would it be better to take a later morning trip - 7:30? 8:30? or later? Animal viewing is our highest priority, but obviously it would be nice to see the mountain as well.

Also, in case it makes a difference, we will be traveling in late August. At that time, do we have to worry about lack of daylight during the very early morning tours or on the way back for the afternoon tours? Does this affect the best time to go?

Also- we're staying at the Princess lodge and it looks like the shuttles don't run really early or really late so I'm assuming we may have to walk either to the shuttle or back from the shuttle? How long a walk is it from the princess lodge to the wilderness access center? Is this an ok walk to do early in the morning or around 10 or 11pm if we took the afternoon shuttle?

Thanks for all the help!

Personally I don't think the time of day makes a difference, or which side of the bus you sit on! I've taken trips in the morning (not before 8!), noon and once in mid afternoon. Saw lots of wildlife each trip. Our best sightings were last yr when we visited Aug 19 and 20, leaving around 8:30am. The moose were starting to gather for the rut so we saw moose in the first 15 miles of the drive on each trip. We also had the most bear sightings as well. I wondered if it was because summer was coming to an end and they were busy eating everything in sight. The fall colors had started to come in so that was another bonus!

I don't see the point in getting up at 5am, then being tired and grumpy all day, or sleeping thru the ride! The bus is only 4 hrs each way so you have plenty of time for a hike or 2. Choose a time when you will be most comfortable. I liked 8-9am.

Dusk was around 10:30pm The walk to the hotel will take about 30-40 minutes. There is a taxi service, but prearrange the ride. Or ask a bus-mate for a ride. Look thru this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1590136

You'll find good info and a map on hiking trails in the Park magazine, Alpenglow. http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

There are also Ranger-led hikes. Look down the index to Outdoor Activites and also Photos. http://www.nps.gov/dena/siteindex.htm

Have a great trip!

I'll be spending one full day in Denali (ie two nights stay), and I'm trying to figure out the best itinerary. After reading these forums, I think we will most likely take an Eilson Shuttle so we also have some time to hike as well. What is the best time of day to go? I've read that a lot of people prefer the first shuttle of the day. How important is this for best animal viewing? or mountain viewing? I'm not sure I'll be able to get my travel companion up that early. If not, is it better to take an afternoon trip with chance of evening viewing or would it be better to take a later morning trip - 7:30? 8:30? or later? Animal viewing is our highest priority, but obviously it would be nice to see the mountain as well.

Also, in case it makes a difference, we will be traveling in late August. At that time, do we have to worry about lack of daylight during the very early morning tours or on the way back for the afternoon tours? Does this affect the best time to go?

Also- we're staying at the Princess lodge and it looks like the shuttles don't run really early or really late so I'm assuming we may have to walk either to the shuttle or back from the shuttle? How long a walk is it from the princess lodge to the wilderness access center? Is this an ok walk to do early in the morning or around 10 or 11pm if we took the afternoon shuttle?

Thanks for all the help!

In your timeframe, I would only be going to Wonder Lake. No bugs, but prime for the spectacular fall colors. You may want to consider this, can bail out at any time and head back, if you wish. I am on the first buses. benefit is seeing Denali wake up. lots of wildlife activity, and a better opportunity if McKinley is viewable. Ideal for hiking, and having the most time, if you wish to stay out. Certainly all the shuttles will get you out, and every trip is different, no way to predict anything either.

If you are at the Princess lodge, with out your own transportation, then you have to figure out what will be best in your case. I clocked with my rental car, approx, to Princess, and it was over 1.5 miles. It is a direct sidewalk. No issues walking it, but do watch out for moose, which is likely the wildlife to encounter.

You will have extended twilight late. BUT, do take a look at the Aurora predictions- check those days you are there- that day. IF active- then get yourself out and in a dark area- will have to walk away from Glitter Gulch, for some viewing. You need dark clear nights, if you can't see the stars, then forget it.

Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice! I really appreciate it. Great to hear that you have seen animals at all times. Do you think Wonder Lake is worth the trip if the mountain is not out? or only if it is? Had read that there is less wildlife past Eielson, and not sure if we will want to do the extra 3 hours round trip. However, if you think it is definitely worth it, we'd be more inclined to push ourselves for the extra distance.

Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice! I really appreciate it. Great to hear that you have seen animals at all times. Do you think Wonder Lake is worth the trip if the mountain is not out? or only if it is? Had read that there is less wildlife past Eielson, and not sure if we will want to do the extra 3 hours round trip. However, if you think it is definitely worth it, we'd be more inclined to push ourselves for the extra distance.

I have never seen McKinley from within Denali park. It is always worth it to me. I am not bored one bit, on the shuttle buses, never looking at a watch, just outside- absorbing it all. :) This is me, you will have to find your own direction.

In general... .the further in you go, the greater your chances of seeing wildlife. Moose will be in the first 15 miles or so. After that, you will move from Tiaga to Tundra. The trip to wonder lake is well worth the trip, even if Denali does not come out from under the clouds. It really is a wonderful trip in to Denali and have made it several times. Never fail on bears, Dall Sheep (well Dall spots way up on the hills) and Cariboo. Have seen wolves, moose, foxes, and may types of birds over the years. Enjoy!

I've seen the mountain from Anchorage and all the way to Park, but on my shuttle trips it's been raining or overcast. We even had sno flurries in mid August last trip!

The price difference is only $12 (WLake ticket is $46 and Eielson is $34). Buy the WLake ticket as insurance. That way if the mountain is out and you want to go all the way, you have a ticket and can easily do so. Otherwise you (and others) will be lined up at Eielson dispatch looking for available seats for WLake.

Personally I would not go to Wonder Lake if the Mountain is not out. But as was said, it is your decision. The Mountain from Wonder Lake can be spectacular, especially from near the kettle ponds and Reflection Pond.

Some people say that wildlife past Eielson drops off. Part of that is because the bus trips past Eielson drop off, so fewer people are looking and fewer people obviously spot wildlife. I have seen moose, caribou, bear, lynx, wolf, beaver and more between Eielson and Wonder Lake. But I spend days in the park often camping at Wonder Lake for 3-5 nights at a time. So I probably have traveled more between Eielson and Wonder Lake than most anyone else on the forum.

Personally I would not go to Wonder Lake if the Mountain is not out. But as was said, it is your decision. The Mountain from Wonder Lake can be spectacular, especially from near the kettle ponds and Reflection Pond.

Some people say that wildlife past Eielson drops off. Part of that is because the bus trips past Eielson drop off, so fewer people are looking and fewer people obviously spot wildlife. I have seen moose, caribou, bear, lynx, wolf, beaver and more between Eielson and Wonder Lake. But I spend days in the park often camping at Wonder Lake for 3-5 nights at a time. So I probably have traveled more between Eielson and Wonder Lake than most anyone else on the forum.

You have me beat for Wonder Lake time. I quit going to Alaska in the summer a long time ago and Wonder Lake is not accessible during my typical visiting times.

Thanks! For those of you who commented later - do you have any thoughts on the original questions - ie whether there is a best time to leave for wildlife viewing and whether if we don't take the first tour it's preferable to still do am or move to afternoon? Also - any recommendations for which entrance trail to try? Do you like the horseshoe lake trail? Is a particular entrance trail best for wildlife viewing? We're planning on doing the shuttle on our full day there, but the second morning we can probably fit in an hour or two hike before we leave. Any recs?

My day, Wonder Lake shuttle bus trips have always seen less wildlife, by me, between Eielson and Wonder Lake, with a bigger amount between Polychrome Pass and Eielson. In my case, it has nothing to do, with the numbers of people "counting" etc. It is what I have seen, including my June Wonder Lake trip last year. I did an Elelson trip several days prior and for the first time, no bears seen. You never know, do you? :)

My day, Wonder Lake shuttle bus trips have always seen less wildlife, by me, between Eielson and Wonder Lake, with a bigger amount between Polychrome Pass and Eielson. In my case, it has nothing to do, with the numbers of people "counting" etc. It is what I have seen, including my June Wonder Lake trip last year. I did an Elelson trip several days prior and for the first time, no bears seen. You never know, do you? :)

You never know, correct. Though in your case it has nothing to do with the numbers of people, you are not the only one traveling within the park :). Fewer buses past Eielson with ANY passengers means fewer sightings of any kind. If most buses turned around at Toklat, the wildlife sightings between Toklat and Eielson would also be less :):). Plus this past year was the first time you went as far as Wonder Lake before August in years (per your own admission on the forum) due to the mosquito issue.

In any case I recommend Wonder Lake not for the wildlife sightings but for the mountain sightings when it is visible.

Archived