Another silly question: this time about power sockets.

Swyre

The "cruise vacation documents" assure me that each cabin is equipped with 110V and 220V sockets.

Are the 220V sockets European standard like e.g. in Switzerland or UK type?

If I take the "wrong" adaptors presumably I can buy or borrow the right sort on the boat?

Thanks

R

I thought I would be so helpful by taking a photo of the outlets and inserting them from my iPad but it is beyond me! Whatever will I do with this lovely vacation photo? LOL!

Let me describe my photo...

The 220v has three horizontal round prongs yet the hairdryer only uses the 2 outside ones as it inserts into a deep circular indented socket. The similar one on the desk is flush. I am Canadian so they are all foreign to me but I hope this helps!

It might be helpful to buy a Universal Power Socket Adapter. This unit http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-33117-International-Travel-Adapter/dp/B0002H4YUI shows the round two hole plug like they have on the ship. They also have an American type plug (also on the adapter).

We take additional plug sockets with us. Here is one that accommodates plugs from the U.K. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Way-Multi-Socket-Plug-Adaptor/dp/B001JD8TRI/ref=pd_rhf_se_shvl5 This works particularly well for us as we need to plug in multiple items (chargers, etc.)

To my knowledge, you cannot borrow plug adapters from Regent. They do sell some in the Boutique.

So, Travelcat, are you saying that for our May 1 Sf to Alaska cruise on Navigator, being American and using 110, we will need an adapter?

No -- for those of us in the U.S. it could be helpful to pack an extra power strip because there are not enough outlets. We bought one like this http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333987609&sr=1-1 . There are also plugs in the cabins that require an adapter. . . but it isn't necessary to use them -- especially if you bring the small power strip.

Have a great cruise in May. We have sailed that itinerary twice and loved it:)

On the Mariner the sockets were French. And Swiss plugs fit into them (not the reverse however...) I believe on Voyager they are Italian, and maybe the 3 vertical prongs. A two prong Swiss plug fits into those, but not one of our 3 prong ones. At any rate non of them are British.

No -- for those of us in the U.S. it could be helpful to pack an extra power strip because there are not enough outlets. We bought one like this http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333987609&sr=1-1 . There are also plugs in the cabins that require an adapter. . . but it isn't necessary to use them -- especially if you bring the small power strip.

Have a great cruise in May. We have sailed that itinerary twice and loved it:)

Travelcat2:

This looks wonderful - appreciate the hint and just finished ordering! Do you think we will we still need to bring our whole "converter kit?" Something that is about 10+ years old with 8 or 9 different pieces to it!

Travelcat2:

This looks wonderful - appreciate the hint and just finished ordering! Do you think we will we still need to bring our whole "converter kit?" Something that is about 10+ years old with 8 or 9 different pieces to it!

I don't think you'll need one. There is at least one 110V plug that your power strip can go into. We haven't ever packed a converter kit (don't even knows where ours is:-)

Have a great trip!:)

Travelcat2:

If you can, change the order to the one below. Same as TC referred to BUT has addition usb plug/port included for direct charging of Ipod, etc devices. $11.52 Amazon

Buy it here http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Power-Strip-USB/dp/B0018MEBNG

612tG8PV1SL._AA300_.jpg

J

If you can, change the order to the one below. Same as TC referred to BUT has addition usb plug/port included for direct charging of Ipod, etc devices. $11.52 Amazon

Buy it here http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Power-Strip-USB/dp/B0018MEBNG

612tG8PV1SL._AA300_.jpg

J

Thanks JMARINER! - I sent TC's original link to DH before placing the final order and he said that he was concerned that the cord itself was so short and he would do some additional research - which means I should just go and buy it myself:D Our room on Voyager has an Ipad docking station for DH, and we don't have an Ipod, but I have just a regular old laptop, so this may be a better choice.

I was originally planning on just bringing an extension cord, but this seems like a better idea. We still have to bring our converter kit because of the balance of our trip after our cruise.

Appreciate everyone's help and constant guidance!!

Thanks JMARINER! ..... he said that he was concerned that the cord itself was so short....

The short cord is a good thing. The desk area in the room is not that big and there is already going to be a mess with other charger cords that will be plugged in. This model travels well because the cord and plug wraps into itself and makes a small package. Fit nicely in my laptop bag. It also works well in the airport when all the plugs are being used by others. I just ask to use the strip and put the others chargers in with mine.

There are 3 110v receptacles in each room. One at the desk, one at the makeup table and one in the bathroom. The bathroom one is supposed to be for a razor only and will not work with a hair dryer. But it will work for an electric toothbrush, a phone or camera charger.

If all you are going to take is a laptop and no other charger, then you can get by without this item.

j

Thx so much for the great info. Apologies in advance if I ask the same thing but I will be bring my uber powerful US only hairdryer. I would normally use in the bathroom so would I need an extension cord? Also we stay overnight in Monte Carlo and Barcelona. I think we need adaptors for that, no?really appreciate any guidance...

Thx so much for the great info. Apologies in advance if I ask the same thing but I will be bring my uber powerful US only hairdryer. I would normally use in the bathroom so would I need an extension cord? Also we stay overnight in Monte Carlo and Barcelona. I think we need adaptors for that, no?really appreciate any guidance...

Rimavh:

I can't answer you about the blow dryer as we are only taking our first Regent cruise in 3 weeks!!!!

As far as adaptors for overnight in Monte Carlo and Barcelona, if you are staying at a hotel, they should be able to offer them - but call or email to make sure - that would be one less thing for you to pack! Since we have 10+ days on either side of the cruise, I have to bring it because while we are staying at the Excelsior in Rome and I can't get a converter there if needed, when we arrive in Spain, we will be staying in private flats we have rented and I am sure they probably don't have blow dryers, so I would need my converter for that and everything else electronic - but, I am going to check just in case there would be one less thing to pack.

It is a long way to the bathroom from the nearest plug and you would need an extension cord of 15-20 feet (3-4 meters) to comfortably make it work. But why not just use the plug at the dressing table, see below, and dry your hair there?

As far as the supplied dryers; while it it true that they are not as strong as some, they are not that bad either. (Says my DW, it take her about 5 minutes longer. She hasn't packed a dryer in 10 years.)

As for adapter for France/Spain, again, most hotels supply dryers. Alternatively many home dryers have a 220v switch and the hotels usually have prong adapters.

j

Make%2Bup%2Barea%2BNAV.jpg

Archived