Zandaam poor reviews

dazadelaide

We returned from a 14 day cruise on the Zaadam last Monday. Please let me reassure you. It was our 14th cruise and our 1st with HAL. Our last one with Cunard last July. Like you I think there seems to be a campaign

From the moment we joined the ship in Singapore the service was superb. From the front desk to the cabin stewards, we recieved 1st class service every day. The ship is so relaxing as there is plenty to do if you wish. If like us you love to chill out on the back of the ship with a good book without constant bing bongs and announcements you will love it. We enjoyed the open dining system and the food in my opinion was excellent. Do try the Italian dining [no extra cost] the food and service are great. We enjoyed breakfast every morning in our cabin delivered by the most polite young men you could wish to meet

We knew before we booked that the ship was due for a refirb later this year but we went ahead and booked as the itinary was what we wanted. Yes the carpets are ready for replacing and there are areas that look tired and the cabins will benifit from a face lift. But it is all spotlessly clean. The toilets in the public areas are better than the Queen Marys. Please go with an open mind and do not let all the negative feed back influence you. We meet people on cruises that seem to complain for a living.

I wish we were back in the crows nest tonight enjoying Happy hour!

Have a wonderful holiday:cool:

What a Lovely post!

Thanks for all the replies.

It just seemed strange to me that there were 9 bad reviews all posted around the same time about the same cruise.

I read Roys review a few weeks ago and the live reports from Heinblod when he was on his cruise so my concerns were mainly about a campaign against the Zaandam for some reason.

My wife & I are not new travellers by any means so we don't ever expect everything to be perfect.

Thanks

Daz

dazadelaide..We've never been on the Zandam, but as others have said, don't take all those to bad reviews to heart..We've seen poor reviews on other ships & when we had cruised on them could not understand why..

We have Friends, who are perfectionists in their every day life & home..We could eat off their floors (even in their garage) ...They are frequently unhappy with tradesmen who do not do a perfect job...I'm reluctant to recommend anyone who has done work for us, as they have a habit of finding fault with everyone & everything..;)

However, they introduced us to HAL, many years when they organized a cruise for our Sailing Club on a HAL ship...:D:DThey loved that cruise, as did we all..We've since been on many more HAL cruises & never had a bad one!..

Hope you & your wife have a wonderful cruise & please do come back & tell us about it..

Happy Sailing....:)Betty

Hi, have read 9 poor reviews about Zandaam. Most of the reviews prior to these last 9 have mostly been good. Has something recently happened or is this a campaign against this ship?

We are set to cruise on this ship next week and now are a bit concerned that we could be in for a poor experience.

Daz.

Hi Dazadelaide,....we live south of Adelaide ....so thought I would reply. I have just read the reviews you are referring to. I was stunned....we were actually on the cruise that they were talking about!!! We have cruised on several HAL ships and can honestly say that this was up with the best!

The ship was beautiful and ALL staff were most helpful and friendly...including the Front Office staff. Yes....there were a group of complainers on board....but I think some people just like to complain about anything!!!

We also believe that the food was some of the best and freshest we have had on a HAL ship....I read the review that talked about only being able to get hamburgers if you came back late...that is not correct, in fact on one occassion we saw and heard the dining room manager walking some complainers around the Lido about 3.30 when they were looking for lunch and showed them the salad and sandwich bar as well as the burgers, tacos etc. These were also the same people we heard complaining about everything!!

Hope you really enjoy your cruise....we did and are about another for next year with HAL.

Thanks Kura for the reply.

I was hoping to get a reply from someone who was on the same cruise as all the complaints. Thanks for your reassurance.

I know you can never please everyone when dealing with large numbers of people, but so many complaints on the same cruise is either true or a campaign against the ship.

Thanks again everyone, we are off to the airport soon and we are looking forward to what I am sure will be a great time.

Daz

Thanks Kura for the reply.

I was hoping to get a reply from someone who was on the same cruise as all the complaints. Thanks for your reassurance.

I know you can never please everyone when dealing with large numbers of people, but so many complaints on the same cruise is either true or a campaign against the ship.

Thanks again everyone, we are off to the airport soon and we are looking forward to what I am sure will be a great time.

Daz

After reading all the reviews about the cruise, I have decided that for the first time I will write a review of the cruise, as I feel some of the comments made in the reviews are so untrue!

Don't sweat those negative reviews, you're going to have a FANTABULOSO time!

Many negative reviews come from folks who are pathologically incapable of experiencing joy. As a response to that condition, the way that they stimulate themselves and complete their lives is by expressing displeasure; the attention that they receive from their spewed negativity is a substitute for joy--albeit a poor substitute.

They'll ceaselessly prattle in the inane--silverware had spots, it took the waiter 10 minutes to bring me 14 pads of butter--as if that is a reason to be miserable.

Typically these are the same people if you ask them "what did you do today", they only talk about themselves. They here the question as what did YOU do today and talk endless about that which didn't suit them rather than hearing the question as it was asked--to talk about the details of their day and not them.

Derek

Kura,

Just read your review and was good to hear that you had a better experience than the other reviewers.

Derek, you are right as well some people are just serial complainers and we have met a few over the years!

We are in Kobe now and will board the Zaandam in 2 days.

Daz

• 1 month later...
Kura,

Just read your review and was good to hear that you had a better experience than the other reviewers.

Derek, you are right as well some people are just serial complainers and we have met a few over the years!

We are in Kobe now and will board the Zaandam in 2 days.

Daz

Glad you found some good review because I too had been worried. We board June 3 in Seward. Had a question. Where did you stay in Vancouver? were you happy with it.

I thought I had made hotel arrangement and just now realized I have not.

Chloe5@comcast.net Thanks susan

We have been on the Zaandam now since 13th of may and are currently in Haines Alaska.

Soo far our cruise has been wonderfull and I have absolutely no complaints. Everything works, crew are really nice and the food (in my view) is good.

Frans

Hi all,

We have just returned from our cruise on the Zaandam and i am pleased to say that the negative reviews we read were not experienced by us.

The ship was comfortable and as i suspected the negative reviews were unjust in our opinion.

We were never cold on the ship even though we were cruising in Alaska as 1 reviewer said we would be.

Yes there is some wear and tear and a few scratches on the elevator doors, but certainly nothing that impacted on the enjoyment of our holiday.

The entertainment on board was enjoyable without being outstanding. We really enjoyed Joel Mason, Bob Anderson, Dennis Blair and Shelly White.

Larry on guitar in the piano bar was also very good and we watched him most evenings before dinner.

The food was of a high standard in presentation in the MDR every night, but some nights it was not as tasty as it's presentation suggested it would be, but food is always subjective.

We had dinner in the pinnacle on 2 nights and while the food was really good I don't feel that the extra $25 per person plus tip was really worth it when compared to the MDR.

The daily program for sea days were very well thought out and there was something for everyone from nature lectures and computer courses to trivia and tai chi.

Overall we had a great 23 days on this ship and would recommend the Zaandam to anyone.

P.S we stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver post cruise and it was a great choice. fantastic ocean view room right next to the cruise terminal.

Daz

Glad you found some good review because I too had been worried. We board June 3 in Seward. Had a question. Where did you stay in Vancouver? were you happy with it.

I thought I had made hotel arrangement and just now realized I have not.

Chloe5@comcast.net Thanks susan

Re a hotel in Vancouver. We have stayed at the Pan Pacific twice in the last year and it would be our hands down choice if we went there again. It is located right at Canada Place where the ship docks. They have a cruise package which includes a buffet breakfast. When you are ready to board the ship you call the bellman and the next time you see your luggage it will be in your cabin on the ship. There is a dedicated elevator down to the terminal.

When you disembark in Vancouver you just wheel your luggage to the area past the busses in the underground pickup area and a hotel bellman will be there to take it and tag it for you if you are checking in.

Great shopping is within walking distance and Gastown is just up around the corner. You can also enjoy a stroll along the harbour front. It is a half hour taxi ride to the airport.

You can walk around the upper level of Canada Place and watch sail away up close and personal. The views are spectacular and it is fun to watch the float plane taxis all over the place like little bumblebees.

Hi all,

We have just returned from our cruise on the Zaandam and i am pleased to say that the negative reviews we read were not experienced by us.

The ship was comfortable and as i suspected the negative reviews were unjust in our opinion.

We were never cold on the ship even though we were cruising in Alaska as 1 reviewer said we would be.

Yes there is some wear and tear and a few scratches on the elevator doors, but certainly nothing that impacted on the enjoyment of our holiday.

The entertainment on board was enjoyable without being outstanding. We really enjoyed Joel Mason, Bob Anderson, Dennis Blair and Shelly White.

Larry on guitar in the piano bar was also very good and we watched him most evenings before dinner.

The food was of a high standard in presentation in the MDR every night, but some nights it was not as tasty as it's presentation suggested it would be, but food is always subjective.

We had dinner in the pinnacle on 2 nights and while the food was really good I don't feel that the extra $25 per person plus tip was really worth it when compared to the MDR.

The daily program for sea days were very well thought out and there was something for everyone from nature lectures and computer courses to trivia and tai chi.

Overall we had a great 23 days on this ship and would recommend the Zaandam to anyone.

P.S we stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver post cruise and it was a great choice. fantastic ocean view room right next to the cruise terminal.

Daz

Thanks for your report. I board in a few short days. You chose a great hotel. I find the rooms there much nicer than the Pan Pacific as I've stayed in both when my husband was alive. Have a safe trip home.:)

:pNot to make light of the horror in the Mediterranean, but if we ran aground and stayed upright and could "hang out" on the ship camping, to me that's still an interesting adventure. No such thing as a bad time on a ship unless you are looking through a glass darkly!:)

We just recently booked the Zaandam for a New Year's Cruise and was concerned to read many negative reviews. While some cruisers are never satisfied and will find fault with any cruise, it is a relief to see good news from current cruisers.

I see she is due for dry dock in October so she will be spruced up before we board in Dec!

Archived