Why is everyione saying thet Princess or HAL is the way to do Alaska?

PCHENG

Well I have only been on 1 cruise but I still did my research about the ships and cruise lines before booking. We wanted to book with Carnival originally when we were planning our first sailing but decided completely against it after doing research.

Some of our priorities are having a balcony, entertainment on board for sea days (we like the movies under the stars), food, of course the age of the ship...

I think you will find, that all cruiselines offer this, and cruiseships- are all at the least, massive floating hotels, similar features. The size difference, I don't find significant- even with 2000 people, vs 3000, you still aren't on a private boat. :) And space is plenty. There aren't any "old" ships sailing, cruiselines dump them long before they should in my opinion.

Finally, Carnival does a good job in Alaska, bonus is their stand out naturalist- if Michelle or Dirk are on board. I last enjoyed a Carnival sailing in December.

Finally, Carnival does a good job in Alaska, bonus is their stand out naturalist- if Michelle or Dirk are on board. I last enjoyed a Carnival sailing in December.

We were considering Carnival for Caribbean, possibly they are different experiences depending on the destination...

Anyway, we liked our 1st sailing with Princess so we decided to stick to them in Alaska as well (considering they were voted the best cruise line in Alaska for the last 5 years in a row)

The ship matters a LOT to people like myself since we will be living on it for a week! It is not just a means of transportation for many cruisers...

For the most part there really isn't a 'bad' cruise ship sailing to Alaska and a lot of people have their favorite cruise line to which they'll naturally gravitate towards (or ones they prefer not to cruise on) when choosing a voyage.

To some folks a good hot meal, a decent show, and a comfortable bed at the best (cheapest) price is all that matters when selecting a cruise line to a destination that is more important to them than how they get there.

To others the ship, food, and entertainment are much more important to them than what is outside the windows of the buffet or atrium cafe as they are cruising the Inside Passage.

Alaska however is all about the destination; the amazing wildlife, stunning scenery, exciting shore excursions, and unique ports of call are just as important, if not more so, than the ship you pick. But that doesn't mean ignore the shipboard creature comforts you'll be expecting to consume between all that running around and sightseeing.

If you post on any one of the specific Cruise Critic forums which ship (or cruise line) they think is 'best' for Alaska you'll get a lot of different answers for a lot of different reasons. You'll also have the cheerleaders and the nay sayers.

There are a lot of seasoned cruisers out there with a lot of well intended, helpful, and meaningful advise based on their experiences cruising Alaska. The important thing is that after taking in all that advice to pick and choose what is important to you, what will make the journey the most memorable in you eyes, and then go with it.

I am not sure why people say HAL/Princess are best. I have been on two HAL Alaska cruises and chose them by itinerary. The first cruise, we could have gone with Princess for the same itinerary, but we were new cruisers. Since my DH knew quite a few friends/relatives who had good things to say about HAL, we went with them. I am sure we would have liked Princess too from what I have read. We are easy to please people. I have to say though, that disembarking in Seward, it was great to spend two days in Seward and then take the magnificently scenic train ride from Seward to Anchorage.

The cruise that is best for you, is the one that goes to the places you want to see. It is as simple as that. If you research Alaska you will soon find some ports/glaciers that stand out as being places you really want to visit. The next step is to find a cruiseline that goes to those places. If you find several cruises that meet your criteria, then you should look at time in ports. The more time in port, the more of Alaska you will see. If you still find several cruiselines meet this criteria, then look at price and which ship will appeal most to you and your family.

I am one of those who definitely thinks of the ship as transportation and lodging. We all go on vacation for different reasons. You have to find what works best for you.

I keep hearing people say that Princess and HAL is the way to go for Alaska. What excatly makes Princess and HAL so ideal for Alaska cruising? I mean, the ports, the scenary and the excursions are all identical regardless of which line you took. I understand that Princess has the tourist train, but my schedule does not allow me to do a land tour, so I am strictly comparing the 7 day cruises out of the east coast ports. Would love to do Alaska right, but right now the price for four in a balcony cabin on Princess is almost a thousand more than what Carnival is asking.

For those who had cruised Alaska on multiple lines. Is the Princess and HAL products really more superior and worth the higher price tag?

And that is where you are wrong! The ports vary - as do the glaciers visited. Choose your itinerary first, and then narrow down your ship choice.

Carnival was issued (or purchased) 2 permits for Glacier Bay for the Spirit for May and Sept - the first and last cruises of the season. The same is true for 2013 and the Miracle.

I have to sit on the fence on the argument that the ship matters. On one hand people like Budget Queen represent those people who cruise for the ports and route - to them a ship is a ship.

On the other are people like TallinGirl who want to have the best overall experience both on and off the ship so to them the ship does matter.

If you have never cruised before and never seen Alaska then your probably even more confused. I know I was.

We did both our first cruise and first visit to Alaska 10 years ago. We had a friend who is a TA who simply gave us all the AK brochures he had and then said to call him if we had any questions. We studied the brouchures looking mainly at the ship and not exactly where it went - however I did want a cruise that included Skagway for the WP&YRR :D. We went with NCL mainly because of the Freestyle concept - we liked the idea of not having a set dining time and set table guests - or having to dress up. We still like that approach and have stuck with NCL - as long as they go where we want to go.

As you can see, we are going on our third AK cruise in a little over 70 days this time we will see Glacier Bay - hope it is worth it. We are also going to visit Tracy Arm on a small boat tour that takes all of our port time in Juneau - oh well.

IMHO both the ship and the itinerary matter - which has more weight probably depends on how much cruise experience you have and what you want to get out of the cruise - something only you can decide. Unfortunalty AK crusing is expensive and one would hate to make a mistake - which is why CC is here to allow us to voice our opinions (expert or not) about crusing and Alaska.

Yes. It is the same one.

Not true. Carnival Cruise Lines was also awarded permits in 2012. There are also the small ship cruise lines that are routinely awarded permits into Glacier Bay.

P.S. Hubbard Glacier is as highly recommended as Glacier Bay by those who have been to both. ;)

I stand corrected then. Glad to hear Carnival can go there this year. Up until now I've read on these boards that only the three I mentioned were the ones with these permits.

I have to disagree with you about Hubbard, though. I was there and was rather disappointed that we couldn't get anywhere near it, especially having been to Glacier Bay previously. But I am going back there this summer and hope to get closer.:) I've heard that IF you can get close to it, it's even better than any of the glaciers in Glacier Bay but I've heard that the ice conditions there are getting worse. Your chances are much better in G Bay to get close.

For those of us who've been to AK we usually make recommendations based on our personal experiences and that's why I always try to include "IMO" in my posts because that is all it is.

Attached are 2 pictures - first Hubbard and then Glacier Bay. You'll see why I favor the latter:)

IMG_2233.jpg.06e95359d42af6d557fa1be0395ef0b0.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg.64fe9734b64b72214ed49e1280f898c8.jpg

I think that wide-angle Hubbard Glacier shot vs the 'cross-deck zoom perspective' in Glacier Bay picture is cheating just a little bit... ;-)

But I do understand that each persons experience will be different than the next persons. On my trips into Glacier Bay one was was pretty early in the season following a brutal winter and the inlet to Johns Hopkins Glacier was so clogged with ice growlers that we couldn't get in. On another the Grand Pacific Glacier was so covered in dark rocky debris it was unrecognizable, and on yet another the snow line from that previous winter was all the way down to the water and the glaciers were covered in an icing layer of snowfall and looked nothing like what I saw in the brochures. There were also times the mountain tops were not visible due to low cloud cover and it rained on and off all day. Every trip was different, and every trip still a great visit!

Here are a couple of 'average' pictures I took in Glacier Bay:

Johns Hopkins Glacier

BG

Lamplugh Glacier

BG

Scenery inside Glacier Bay

BG

BG

BG

Big time zoom on Marjorie Glacier (can you see the dirty black glacier right edge of picture?

BG

Well I have only been on 1 cruise but I still did my research about the ships and cruise lines before booking. We wanted to book with Carnival originally when we were planning our first sailing but decided completely against it after doing research.

Some of our priorities are having a balcony, entertainment on board for sea days (we like the movies under the stars), food, of course the age of the ship...

Don't let the 'age' of a ship fool you. My last three cruises were on ships that were 10-13 years old and they were superb ships and even better cruises! :D

A previous poster hit the nail on the head - Princess and HAL get priority docking and port times - simply for being there the longest.

As for being the voted the best cruise line for Alaska - Princess would win that simply because of the number of ships - and passengers they carry there. They are simply the 800 lb gorillia.

I also do not worry about a ship's age as all ships are not only well maintained while at sea, but also drydocked for major repairs and referb.

Remember that Carnival only has 2 permits to GB - one in May the other in Sept - better be on one of them if you want Glacier Bay and Carnival in the same cruise.

Another thing I look at for any surveys is who sponsered them and also when I get recommendations from people who might gain somehow by recommending a particular product. I don't see that happening on these boards - but sometimes TAs will point you in a direction that is best for them.

As for being the voted the best cruise line for Alaska - Princess would win that simply because of the number of ships - and passengers they carry there. They are simply the 800 lb gorillia.

By that logic McDonalds is simply the best restaurant in the world? ;)

Many would argue that other cruise lines are just as good if not better than Princess and Holland-America with half as many ships plying the same routes. Volume doesn't mean better, just more repetition.

You have mentioned that you enjoyed NCL, but personally they are on the bottom of my list next to Carnival, but that's just me. Like most have said, to each his own. With the right information and kind advice each person makes the decision best for them. Even if it is the first sailing of Carnival in May that just happens to go to Glacier Bay. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I think that wide-angle Hubbard Glacier shot vs the 'cross-deck zoom perspective' in Glacier Bay picture is cheating just a little bit... ;-)

But I do understand that each persons experience will be different than the next persons. On my trips into Glacier Bay one was was pretty early in the season following a brutal winter and the inlet to Johns Hopkins Glacier was so clogged with ice growlers that we couldn't get in. On another the Grand Pacific Glacier was so covered in dark rocky debris it was unrecognizable, and on yet another the snow line from that previous winter was all the way down to the water and the glaciers were covered in an icing layer of snowfall and looked nothing like what I saw in the brochures. There were also times the mountain tops were not visible due to low cloud cover and it rained on and off all day. Every trip was different, and every trip still a great visit!

[/img]

You are not correct with your Hopkins information. This inlet is closed to ship traffic until Sept, has been for years. It is a designated harbor seal sanctuary. Ships can give passengers a view- which would be 5 miles away. I have been on sailings where they also completely missed it. the Grand Pacific has always been a "black" glacier. A very interesting contrast compared to the Margerie, next to it, with both now apart due to receeding.

You all make very valid points :) and of course the itinerary itself is of utmost importance! When we booked our AK cruise, we did not even know what Glacier Bay was :eek: then after spending a few months on these forums, I feel like we hit the jackpot and got really lucky! I would have been really upset if I had chosen a sailing without GB especially since we are first time cruisers to Alaska :D

I think you will find, that all cruiselines offer this, and cruiseships- are all at the least, massive floating hotels, similar features. The size difference, I don't find significant- even with 2000 people, vs 3000, you still aren't on a private boat. :) And space is plenty. There aren't any "old" ships sailing, cruiselines dump them long before they should in my opinion.

First, let me start by saying I have probably gotten the most great advice from you, Budget Queen, regarding Alaska over the past year. I have relied heavily upon your expertise about Alaska when planning our upcoming trip.

That being said, I will say that for me, all cruise ships are not the same. We have only taken two cruises (and neither one to Alaska), but the ships were very different in quality. Both were with RCCL. The first cruise was amazing and got us into cruising. The second cruise was not very good overall, and it was due in large part to the ship. The second ship was bigger, had more passengers (causing us to have difficulty getting seats for the evening shows), was older and dirtier (at least it appeared that way), the onboard entertainment was not as good, and the food was worse. Had this been our first cruise, we probably would not chose to cruise again.

Given the differences we had in our experiences, when planning our trip to Alaska for this summer, one of the things I considered was the reviews of the ships. It was not the only factor, but definitely one we considered.

First, let me start by saying I have probably gotten the most great advice from you, Budget Queen, regarding Alaska over the past year. I have relied heavily upon your expertise about Alaska when planning our upcoming trip.

That being said, I will say that for me, all cruise ships are not the same. We have only taken two cruises (and neither one to Alaska), but the ships were very different in quality. Both were with RCCL. The first cruise was amazing and got us into cruising. The second cruise was not very good overall, and it was due in large part to the ship. The second ship was bigger, had more passengers (causing us to have difficulty getting seats for the evening shows), was older and dirtier (at least it appeared that way), the onboard entertainment was not as good, and the food was worse. Had this been our first cruise, we probably would not chose to cruise again.

Given the differences we had in our experiences, when planning our trip to Alaska for this summer, one of the things I considered was the reviews of the ships. It was not the only factor, but definitely one we considered.

For me, what's great about Alaska, are the "shows" are outside. :) I'm too busy watching, to care about the food either. :) :) :) LOL

In seriousness, You have very vaild points.

You are not correct with your Hopkins information. This inlet is closed to ship traffic until Sept, has been for years. It is a designated harbor seal sanctuary. Ships can give passengers a view- which would be 5 miles away. I have been on sailings where they also completely missed it.

It's funny you mentioned the inlet closure time frame as the picture I posted above taken from the mouth of Johns Hopkins Inlet was taken on Aug. 28th. Two of the my three cruises that visited Glacier Bay got to that same vantage point and only one never even got close due to bergy bits in the water. I think a lot of it has to do when the seal pups get weaned and is mostly closed from May through June? In 2010 I believe the inlet was closed all the way through July 15th?

It's funny you mentioned the inlet closure time frame as the picture I posted above taken from the mouth of Johns Hopkins Inlet was taken on Aug. 28th. Two of the my three cruises that visited Glacier Bay got to that same vantage point and only one never even got close due to bergy bits in the water. I think a lot of it has to do when the seal pups get weaned and is mostly closed from May through June? In 2010 I believe the inlet was closed all the way through July 15th?

No, My post is accurate, and you were at least 5 miles out at the mouth of the John Hopkins inlet. I have been right up to the face on a couple Sept trips. Here is the actual bylaws which have been in place for years.

Prohibited-

) May 1 through August 31, operating a cruise ship on Johns Hopkins Inlet waters south of 58°54.2' N latitude (an imaginary line running approximately due west from Jaw Point).

(e) May 1 through June 30, operating a vessel or a seaplane on Johns Hopkins Inlet waters south of 58°54.2' N latitude (an imaginary line running approximately due west from Jaw Point).

(f) July 1 through August 31, operating a vessel or a seaplane on Johns Hopkins Inlet waters south of 58°54.2' N latitude (an imaginary line running approximately due west from Jaw Point), within1/4nautical mile of a seal hauled out on ice; except when safe navigation requires, and then with due care to maintain the1/4nautical mile distance from concentrations of seals.

BudgetQueen, THANKS for posting the federal regulations. But I am curious why the National Park Service for Glacier Bay would put out this notice "extending" the closure of the inlet to July 15th if the already existing laws close it through the end of August? Or was this in regards to ships/boats smaller than a 'cruise ship'?

http://www.nps.gov/glba/parknews/2011627.htm

The ship is just transportation for me. I'm going on cruise number 75 next month

Haven't been on as many cruises as you have, this will be our 20th and our past 3 cruises to Alaska were on NCL,Celebrity and HAL....this year will be on Princess and still don't know which is best, but I do know that the ships matter to us, we love the ship life and we look for a ship which has the things we like best......I don't stay in any kind of hotel-motel just because it has a bed to sleep in.

Haven't been on as many cruises as you have, this will be our 20th and our past 3 cruises to Alaska were on NCL,Celebrity and HAL....this year will be on Princess and still don't know which is best, but I do know that the ships matter to us, we love the ship life and we look for a ship which has the things we like best......I don't stay in any kind of hotel-motel just because it has a bed to sleep in.

And what do you require of a cruiseship? What do you "like best". I've found cruiseships- to be far more similar than different. Last year-I was on 2 NCL, 1 Celebrity, 1 Carnival, 1 RCI. This year, 1 NCL, 1 HAL, 3 RCI, 1 Princess. I can't keep the ship features, stright anyway, so no wonder, it doesn't matter to me. :)

Other cruise lines can't make that statement. It's a registered trademark of Princess.:) I don't know how to type the r with a circle around it.

BQ is right. Alaska is about the ports and the scenery more then the cruise ship. Some cruise directors schedule almost no ship activities on port days since relatively few people stay on the ship. I was on the Horizon Court watching us tie up in Ketichian talking to the person who does ceramic classes. She said they have every port day free. The cruise director found passengers have no interest in ship activities on port days. Relatively few passengers use the pool, even the pools which are mainly indoor. People looking for a traditional cruise experience should pick a different destinati

Exception--Some cruise lines have a better kids program. That might make a difference.

Alaska is about the ports and the scenery more then the cruise ship. Some cruise directors schedule almost no ship activities on port days since relatively few people stay on the ship. I was on the Horizon Court watching us tie up in Ketichian talking to the person who does ceramic classes. She said they have every port day free. The cruise director found passengers have no interest in ship activities on port days. Relatively few passengers use the pool, even the pools which are mainly indoor. People looking for a traditional cruise experience should pick a different destinati

Exception--Some cruise lines have a better kids program. That might make a difference.

I think it is a given that on port days there are no activities because at the end of the day you are going to see Alaska, not the ship. But none the less, the ship is important for sea days or scenic cruising as well as the rest of the time you are spending there. For me at least...

Other cruise lines can't make that statement. It's a registered trademark of Princess.:) I don't know how to type the r with a circle around it.

So just because Princess says its so makes it so??

I think it was said with tongue in cheek!

Haven't been on as many cruises as you have...but I do know that the ships matter to us, we love the ship life and we look for a ship which has the things we like best......I don't stay in any kind of hotel-motel just because it has a bed to sleep in.

And what do you require of a cruiseship? What do you "like best". I've found cruiseships- to be far more similar than different. Last year-I was on 2 NCL, 1 Celebrity, 1 Carnival, 1 RCI. This year, 1 NCL, 1 HAL, 3 RCI, 1 Princess. I can't keep the ship features, stright anyway, so no wonder, it doesn't matter to me. :)

BudgetQueen pretty much nailed it. Cruise ships for the most part offer a much more consistent standard across the board when compared to one another with very minor differences in extras and amenities. The same can not be said about hotels, which can run from luxurious chic to rundown rat holes. You really won't find a cruise ship that is a run down rat hole. Sure cruise lines have their differences in ambiance and style, but none are really that much worse than the others, and we all have preferences and favorites when it comes to our cruise line of choice in the destination we are looking at.

Hence a lot of people place more emphasis on the itinerary than the ship itself picking and choosing ports of call or destinations that matter most, then finding the ship within their favorite cruise line (or any other mass market line) that hits those places.

Archived