Celebrity vs Norwegian

Ghengis Klown

We cruised Norwegian Sun on its final cruise prior to dry dock, and only a couple months aboard Celebrity Summit for two weeks. Although both products are different- and they do attract a different- ahem- type of clientele, both cruise lines have the same level of service, quality of food, and general upkeep of public and private areas. Although X might be more refined and classy, the finishes aboard NCL were just as nice and well taken care of.

We found the entertainment to be much better aboard NCL. In terms of food, we LOVE X's food , and this is a major draw for us. We found the food on NCL to be amazing, although they do not rotate breakfast and lunch menus in the MDR- we were happy both were offered each and every single day (x does not offer lunch in the MDR each day). We are not huge buffet fans- and the buffet on NCL was a step down to what X offers.

Furnishings in the staterooms on NCL were much more basic, even the flooring on the balcony was some sort of plasticy surface- not very barefoot friendly. The room was basic, yet functional, and all very clean and upkept.

We WOULD sail NCL again, especially for the price we paid. I think after cruising a few lines you do realize that most ships are really built the same way, many have similar layouts, food offerings, and public areas- they are all just decorated differently.

???? Just how are they different?

Celebrity serves coke products, NCL serves Pepsi products. To some, this doesn't matter, to me, it's a dealbreaker for vacation :-) Love my coca-cola!

You just HAVE to find and listen to standup comedian Lewis Black do his skit (done in Atlanta just after 9-11) on Coke vs Pepsi drinkers, and the loyalty issue, it'll leave you rolling!:)

I really enjoyed all 5 cruises I did on NCL but definitely appreciated the much higher level of service on Celebrity. I'm leaving in 3 days for a 14 night TA/repositioning on Solstice but would not hesitate, and plan, to book on NCL again. The crowd on NCL is MUCH younger and stays up later. There are WAYYY too many unhappy, snooty whiners no matter where you go. Check out the slums of Mombassa Kenya or Karachi Pakistan and be thankfull you're on a cruise ship:cool:

Hi

We did a back-to-back in February. Celebrity and then NCL. It was totally different. As soon as we boarded NCL we noticed the tomato ketchup on the tables!!

We knew it was going to be different and we prepared for that. On Celebrity the cabin steward called us 'Sir & Madam' but on the NCL they called us by our christian names.

We enjoyed both, but I must say that Celebrity was great................ NCL we 'put up with' but enjoyed it (not wanting to do it again). The NCL dining room was noisy, beyond belief, and although the food was fine, I wouldn't want to relieve that experience.

Celebrity for us!!!

Goodness, you had to deal with ketchup bottles on the table (at lunch only BTW)? Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but really?

The main reason I'm quoting you is that I find it funny that NCL, who take the time to actually learn your names and call you by them along with 3000 other passengers, are being put down for this, where the folks on X just call everyone Sir or Madam.

I have not sailed Celebrity. I haven't because my crotchedy (much loved) father loves it, which makes me realize that I would not and some of these posts just seal the deal.

???? Just how are they different?

Well for starters- the three 60-something men who came to the muster drill wearing beer helmets and yelled profanities at the young female cruiseship employee as she was gesturing how to put on a lifejacket.

It was the first cruise I went on, where I met people my parents age who can party past 12-1 in the morning. Most nights the bars and clubs were packed- much different than the experiences I have had on X.

The pool area entertainment was admittedly funny, but nothing like what you would experience on X. I wasent sure which was more disturbing, the belly flop or hairy chest competitions. Again, the level of alcoholism was much higher than anything I have seen on X.

The comedy shows at night were funny, but very explicit and profane.

I would also say that the general demographic onboard was much younger, and you had a lot more family type travellers, and those with probably less of an expendible income to cruise than others. We did however, meet a lot of regular cruisers as well, and those with a lot of cruising experience.

Well for starters- the three 60-something men who came to the muster drill wearing beer helmets and yelled profanities at the young female cruiseship employee as she was gesturing how to put on a lifejacket.

It was the first cruise I went on, where I met people my parents age who can party past 12-1 in the morning. Most nights the bars and clubs were packed- much different than the experiences I have had on X.

The pool area entertainment was admittedly funny, but nothing like what you would experience on X. I wasent sure which was more disturbing, the belly flop or hairy chest competitions. Again, the level of alcoholism was much higher than anything I have seen on X.

The comedy shows at night were funny, but very explicit and profane.

I would also say that the general demographic onboard was much younger, and you had a lot more family type travellers, and those with probably less of an expendible income to cruise than others. We did however, meet a lot of regular cruisers as well, and those with a lot of cruising experience.

LOL! those men sound hilarious. something tells me this was a reunion cruise of college fraternity brothers trying to act like they were still 20 something. Don't judge NCL becasue of those guys-LOL!

The silly game parties they do on Carnival, and RCI also. I stay away form the lido pool on s during the day time. On our last RCI cruise, while those silly games were going on I was enjoying the solarium pool. It was nice and peaceful in there-so at RCI has somewhere else to go and swim. I am so glad Celebrity has solarium pools also-maybe no silly games on Celebrity-but it is still nice for me to be able to swim without the sun bothering me.

I have not noticed a lot of hard partiers on NCL- the main reason I prefer NCL to Carnival. I have seen a good many blue collar types on NCL, but since I came from that, (my family as a child) I am not snobbish, now that I have a bit more, I am not ashamed on what my parents were.

I was a bit shocked on one cruise. On the "dress up or not" night, there was this young girl about 16 in a skin tight low cut spaghetti strapped dress, so short it barely covered her "ah'hah" as my MIL 80 year old MIL says. She was with whom I assumed was her mother Because she appeared to be in her late 30's /early 40's. The girl wanted to get by me (I was in a queue with others buying photos) and said "excuse me," and "Mom" says , referring to me,"she is too busy starring to get out of away," in this proud tone of voice.

LOL! If the mom had only know what I was thinking! I was starring in shock that "Mom" had allowed her child to walk around ship in a dress more appropriate for "clubbing" or for a streetwalker. Didn't Mom realize her child Could be targeted by some sick dirty old men? All I could think was, I was glad "Mom" was sticking close to her! If my daughter at age 16 had ever tried to wear such a getup in my presence I would had taken a pair of scissors and cut the dress up-even now at age 27 she would not try it in my presence because she would know I would never shut up until she changed.

I can honestly say that is the worst I have seen on a NCL ship. LOL!

Now rude-yep-there was the rude brats preteen to early teens in age who were throwing food on the staircase near the lido restaurant on the SKY and also running down stateroom halls late at night beating on doors. Of course, in that case I blamed my husband for being dumb enough to book a 4 day summer cruise and me for the dumb enough to allow him to talk me into it!

LOL! those men sound hilarious. something tells me this was a reunion cruise of college fraternity brothers trying to act like they were still 20 something. Don't judge NCL becasue of those guys-LOL!

The silly game parties they do on Carnival, and RCI also. I stay away form the lido pool on s during the day time. On our last RCI cruise, while those silly games were going on I was enjoying the solarium pool. It was nice and peaceful in there-so at RCI has somewhere else to go and swim. I am so glad Celebrity has solarium pools also-maybe no silly games on Celebrity-but it is still nice for me to be able to swim without the sun bothering me.

I have not noticed a lot of hard partiers on NCL- the main reason I prefer NCL to Carnival. I have seen a good many blue collar types on NCL, but since I came from that, (my family as a child) I am not snobbish, now that I have a bit more, I am not ashamed on what my parents were.

I was a bit shocked on one cruise. On the "dress up or not" night, there was this young girl about 16 in a skin tight low cut spaghetti strapped dress, so short it barely covered her "ah'hah" as my MIL 80 year old MIL says. She was with whom I assumed was her mother Because she appeared to be in her late 30's /early 40's. The girl wanted to get by me (I was in a queue with others buying photos) and said "excuse me," and "Mom" says , referring to me,"she is too busy starring to get out of away," in this proud tone of voice.

LOL! If the mom had only know what I was thinking! I was starring in shock that "Mom" had allowed her child to walk around ship in a dress more appropriate for "clubbing" or for a streetwalker. Didn't Mom realize her child Could be targeted by some sick dirty old men? All I could think was, I was glad "Mom" was sticking close to her! If my daughter at age 16 had ever tried to wear such a getup in my presence I would had taken a pair of scissors and cut the dress up-even now at age 27 she would not try it in my presence because she would know I would never shut up until she changed.

I can honestly say that is the worst I have seen on a NCL ship. LOL!

Now rude-yep-there was the rude brats preteen to early teens in age who were throwing food on the staircase near the lido restaurant on the SKY and also running down stateroom halls late at night beating on doors. Of course, in that case I blamed my husband for being dumb enough to book a 4 day summer cruise and me for the dumb enough to allow him to talk me into it!

The cruisers don't sound any different than some of those on other cruises. I also don't go in for the silly games, there are so many other things to do. More power to the people that do, at least they are having fun. It doesn't matter what kind of collar anyone wears or wore, I look at what is on the inside more than what kind of job they had or have.

On a Panama Canal Crystal cruise, we had two young boys who where dumping coke cola into the pool. I guess it just goes to show you that there are bad parents everywhere.

As far as the dress, I was on a cruise, again on Crystal, and we went on an excursion to the casbah. They told us before, not to wear shorts or capris and to keep our knees covered. This one young lady came with a mini skirt (barely covering anything) and knee high socks. Her entire leg was showing, but her knees were covered LOL. I was amazed how the children of the country we were in, were staring and laughing. Again, bad tastes can be on any cruise.

Sounds to me, I'll probably meet the same kind of cruisers I have met on Celebrity or any other line and I can't wait!

The cruisers don't sound any different than some of those on other cruises. I also don't go in for the silly games, there are so many other things to do. More power to the people that do, at least they are having fun. It doesn't matter what kind of collar anyone wears or wore, I look at what is on the inside more than what kind of job they had or have.

On a Panama Canal Crystal cruise, we had two young boys who where dumping coke cola into the pool. I guess it just goes to show you that there are bad parents everywhere.

As far as the dress, I was on a cruise, again on Crystal, and we went on an excursion to the casbah. They told us before, not to wear shorts or capris and to keep our knees covered. This one young lady came with a mini skirt (barely covering anything) and knee high socks. Her entire leg was showing, but her knees were covered LOL. I was amazed how the children of the country we were in, were staring and laughing. Again, bad tastes can be on any cruise.

Sounds to me, I'll probably meet the same kind of cruisers I have met on Celebrity or any other line and I can't wait!

I agree-but the 4 day summer cruises are more apt to have bratty kids. If Celebrity ran the Millie (or next Dec. the Connie) year round from Miami for the 4 and 5 day cruises-the bratty kids would be there too.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas the week before Christmas. They solved the problem by having anyone age 17 and under curfewed at 11 pm unless they were with a parent or in the teen club /kid's club. Lots of kids on that cruise but I saw no too terribly out of line bad behavior. Since I once had a child and know how they are-I do not expect kids to be perfect.

\

Yes, I agree, any line can have the exact same circumstances. You just try to limit how bad it can be by time of year, number of days, etc.

A few unusual/ differnet types are entertaining, the majority being that way can make for not the vacation you planned. No line is totally immune.

I personally think that the only way to know if you will like a cruise line is to try it because:

What one person considers laid back, another person considers boring

What one person considers a silly game, another person considers an opportunity to unwind from their stressful career

What one person considers to be gourmet food, another person considers to be a clever way to hide inferior ingredients

What one person considers boring food, another person considers healthy food

What one person considers classy, another person considers pretentious

What one person considers low class, another person considers down to earth

What one person considers too casual, another person considers trendy

What one person considers elegant, another person considers dated

What one person considers beautiful, another person considers over the top

I could give a lot more examples, but I think I made my point

I personally think that the only way to know if you will like a cruise line is to try it because:

What one person considers laid back, another person considers boring

What one person considers a silly game, another person considers an opportunity to unwind from their stressful career

What one person considers to be gourmet food, another person considers to be a clever way to hide inferior ingredients

What one person considers boring food, another person considers healthy food

What one person considers classy, another person considers pretentious

What one person considers low class, another person considers down to earth

What one person considers too casual, another person considers trendy

What one person considers elegant, another person considers dated

What one person considers beautiful, another person considers over the top

I could give a lot more examples, but I think I made my point

Like :)

We have sailed both lines, CC Celebrity and suites on NCL. The differences for us is the freedom to do as you please on NCL, my husband also likes that he does not have to bring a suit. Ok so the plusses and minuses:

Celebrity

Food I'd better, in the MDR. We found that we ate in the specialty restaurants on NCL as the MDR was a disappointment after Celebrity.

CC is great enjoyed the extra perks. However for the same amount of money I can get a suite on NCL.

Enjoyed the celebrity experience, we are now elite members.

NCL

we loved the suite experience. The perks include:

Separate checking area for suite guests.

Separate dining area for breakfast and lunch with private quiet lounge during the day.

Butler was great.

Priority booking for restraints etc.

Disembarking we were allowed to stay in our cabin and we were taken down by the concerge to get our bags, very nice.

In summary, there are pros and cons for both. I have found over the years that you need to experience the different lines for yourself. What is terrible for one person if fine for others.

We are currently booked on a Celebrity cruise in November after 2 NCL cruises ans am looking forward to seeing if they have maintained the experience.

Good luck with your cruise.

PETA

We have sailed both lines, CC Celebrity and suites on NCL. The differences for us is the freedom to do as you please on NCL, my husband also likes that he does not have to bring a suit. Ok so the plusses and minuses:

Celebrity

Food I'd better, in the MDR. We found that we ate in the specialty restaurants on NCL as the MDR was a disappointment after Celebrity.

CC is great enjoyed the extra perks. However for the same amount of money I can get a suite on NCL.

Enjoyed the celebrity experience, we are now elite members.

NCL

we loved the suite experience. The perks include:

Separate checking area for suite guests.

Separate dining area for breakfast and lunch with private quiet lounge during the day.

Butler was great.

Priority booking for restraints etc.

Disembarking we were allowed to stay in our cabin and we were taken down by the concerge to get our bags, very nice.

In summary, there are pros and cons for both. I have found over the years that you need to experience the different lines for yourself. What is terrible for one person if fine for others.

We are currently booked on a Celebrity cruise in November after 2 NCL cruises ans am looking forward to seeing if they have maintained the experience.

Good luck with your cruise.

PETA

I agree with your post. We find that X is more attractive because of the wide variety of itineraries. X has cruises to South America, Asia, Australia/NZ and Europe include the Black Sea and British Isles as well as Atlantic Wine cruises.

NCL needs to broaden its itineraries.

I have to agree that the suite life on NCL is wonderful. We were so spoiled it will be hard to go back to a regular balcony cabin. We also liked the 'dress up or not' attitude of NCL and never encountered anyone in the restaurants inappropriately dressed - most were smart/casual.

However I also agree that the Celebrity itinerary for our cruise next year was far better than NCL's and that is why we are trying Celebrity next year.

I have never cruised in a suite on NCL-just a mini suite-but the perks of a sky suite do top the non perks of a minisuite. We are so excited that we get to cruise in a sky suite in June. We like the perks of priority boarding, two dinners in specialties at no extra cost, afternoon tea offered in our sky suite and all the cappuccinos we want-at no extra cost. These are the perk I mean, not having a dinky tub and a slightly larger room. If the sky suite had no perks we would have stayed with our balcony-a shower is as good as a dinky tub to me.

As I posted once and irritated another poster by saying-NCL is either a budget cruiseline or else for those who really can afford the top of the line suites-like their garden villas that the newer NCL ships have. I may splurge one day on a NCL penthouse suite, which is still halfway affordable, but I doubt I can ever afford (or at least justify the cost of ) a garden villa suite-just to rich for my blood.

We were upgraded to an NCL suite, and am elite on Celebrity. While we normally do our own thing in ports, NCL's shore excursions are definitely better. More selection, better prices. But the food on our last NCL in the MDR was not good at all. Thus back to X.

We were upgraded to an NCL suite, and am elite on Celebrity. While we normally do our own thing in ports, NCL's shore excursions are definitely better. More selection, better prices. But the food on our last NCL in the MDR was not good at all. Thus back to X.

Before we booked the Solstice for the Med, we did consider the Epic. I did like we could do a tour from Livorino that combined the leaning tower of Pisa with a tour of a vineyard/winery. We can still do that on Celebrity, but that is two tours-one in the morning and one in the afternoon-with only an hour between the two.

However the Solstice goes to Venice and overnights there which we wanted to go to see. The Epic was less, (also 7 day versus 12 day) but we decided by the time we added a side trip to Venice, that the Solstice was not only more affordable, but less hassle-even if we had booked the Epic from Rome instead of Barcelona-there was still the hassle of a train ride or plane ride to Venice from Rome.

So you can see why we picked the Solstice. The best for us for what we wanted to see/do in Italy overall.

We tried NCL again back in 2007 out of New York on the Dawn. This was our first cruise with them since 1994. We tried the MDR twice and it was bad. Really bad. We ate the rest of our meals in specialty dining. In 2009 we were on the Star to Alaska. We tried the MDR once and again the same result. NCL has very nice specialty restuarants and having Cagney's available for breakfast and lunch was nice. Even with the nice suite perks, I still feel that in our case there are other cruise lines where we enjoy an "overall" better experience.

I have to agree that the suite life on NCL is wonderful. We were so spoiled it will be hard to go back to a regular balcony cabin. We also liked the 'dress up or not' attitude of NCL and never encountered anyone in the restaurants inappropriately dressed - most were smart/casual.

However I also agree that the Celebrity itinerary for our cruise next year was far better than NCL's and that is why we are trying Celebrity next year.

I agree....it was one of the reasons we moved to Celebrity. We had booked a suite on NCL as I had purchased a cruise credit during the cruise our last cruise on them which I ended up canceling due to several factors, one being the price. I just didn't feel that we could go back to a regular balcony,....our main reason for staying in the suite was we loved the perk of Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. The larger room, balcony and the awesome Lavazza machine was also very nice...the concierge didn't show us much on our last NCL cruise (might have been beloved with many other cruisers, but we were unimpressed) and our butler was amazing (!), but unnecessary expense for us. They were just two extra mouths to feed when you consider we mostly just liked the quiet that Cagneys afforded us in the morning. AQ fit us to a T for over 1K less....money I can spend on other things!

I never saw any grungy/inappropriately dressed ppl on NCL. Since our last cruise on Celebrity, I have found that I can take just what I need for our cruise without hauling a wardrobe along with me....it actually all fits in a carry on.

Celebrity and HAL have some amazing itineraries...every once in awhile, NCL has something that interests me, however I just can't book a balcony....I know what I'm missing!:o

Having sailed NCL and done a number of TA Inaugurals on them, I have experience for sure. There are positives to take from NCL of course, but like most things it does come down to preference... I personally prefer to cruise Celebrity.

Earlier some had asked about how the people may be different... Much for the same reason we are drawn to watch a "train wreck," I could not help myself earlier this week and watched "Love For Sail" on Lifetime. I think if you watch that just once, you may walk away knowing what the difference in the passengers might be. That show certainly captures to me what a lot of NCL cruisers are more like, and highlights what is noticeably absent from an X cruise.

At the end of the day, again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Celebrity is more elegant and the food is better.

NCL is more casual but is good value for the most part. Any suggestion that NCL is "dirty" is completely absurd.

NCL is probably better for kids and families.

As with ALL mass-market cruise lines there are more similarities than differences.

Celebrity is more elegant and the food is better.

NCL is more casual but is good value for the most part. Any suggestion that NCL is "dirty" is completely absurd.

NCL is probably better for kids and families.

As with ALL mass-market cruise lines there are more similarities than differences.

True-but Celebrity food is better. when we cruise NCL, when not doing a specialty rest. we are as apt to eat dinner up on the lido as in the main dining room since the food in those places is about the same quality.

NCL is not a bad cruise line. It's a product that provides a decent experience for the price point. Yes, it's a cheapened product. The furnishings are cheap. The decor is tacky. The food is only acceptable in the surcharge restaurants. The buffet is a zoo and always smells like wet mops. BUT, considering how inexpensive the cruises are, it's fine. I've done NCL 3 times (in a Penthouse each time) and I enjoyed myself, they have some great itineraries, the crew members are generally very good and there is a lot of activity.

Would I sail them again? Most likely not. Have I ever had a bad cruise with them? Absolutely not.

Go and enjoy yourself, just set your expectations accordingly.

Michael

I keep hearing people talk about better pricing on NCL. I find the prices on Celebrity to be incredibly low for the cruises I book. For instance we were in a Huge FV on Solstice for 12 days in the Med and we paid $1009/pp. We are leaving on a TA today on Eclipse, 13 days in a CC cabin for $999 each. I can't imagine that NCL has cheaper fares than that for equivalent cabins. My first few cruises a long time ago were on NCL and I am thankful that I have other choices now.

Archived