Please explain why YOU pay extra for specialty dining?

My mind just can't wrap around why anyone would want to pay extra for eating in a specialty resturaunt when the food is so good (and included) in your cruise price for the MDR.

Would love your reason's why. Though not sure if I can be converted to wanting to pay when there is free food. :)

The same reason that sometimes I eat at Denny's and sometimes I eat at an upscale restaurant. A completely different dining experience.

DON

On the Freedom in 2008 we had traditional dining and loved it. We had all our dinners in the MDR and enjoyed our table mates.

On the Allure last year we had MyTime Dining and were a bit disappointed. We thought MyTime Dining would be exactly like traditional dining, only with new table mates each night.

We quickly learned that 99% choose MyTime Dining not only to set their own dining time but also to dine alone at tables for two.

Since we did not have the experience we had hoped for we gave the special dining venues a chance and did not regret it at all. We really enjoyed 150 Central Park, Ritas Cantina and Johnny Rockets etc. We can afford the extra cover charge and feel the experience is worth it.

Even if we were disappointed with MyTime Dining it's possible we will choose again only not to use it.

I also hope our next cruise will be a B2B so that we can have traditional dining the first week and go for the specialty dining venues the second week. :cool:

My mind just can't wrap around why anyone would want to pay extra for eating in a specialty resturaunt when the food is so good (and included) in your cruise price for the MDR.

Would love your reason's why. Though not sure if I can be converted to wanting to pay when there is free food. :)

You've GOT to be kidding....How about:

1) Sometimes I just want to have a cozy, romantic dinner with my wife- dining with 2500 others is NOT my idea of romantic & cozy!

2) I want a table for 2 by the window over-looking the sunset and the waves

3) Food is SUBJECTIVE, and IMO, the food in the MDR is at best fair/mediocre/sometimes decent/ never FABULOUS....I eat there 5-6 times during the 7 nights, but it's always ( to me) just "OK".

4) IMO, the food in CHOPS, Portifinos, Gianvanni's,etc., is MUCH better than the MDR, with 10 times better ambiance & service..we love the candle light dining to soft music..

5) On NCL, the escargots ( in butter & garlic) in Le Bistro are to DIE for along with the Fruit Fondue,a dessert where they put all different kinds of fruit in a pineapple bottom ( cut out) and give you warm chocolate sauce in a fondue to dip your fruit- AMAZING! PLUS shrimp coctail,salad, steak & lobster tail or filet mignon or fish all for $20 PP? and a table by the window over-looking the sea..that would cost $75-100 pp anywhere EASILY...

6) What if I don't like what's on the MDR menu?

7) In Portifnos, how about the yummy Seafood Skewer with lobster,shrimp, scallops & fish over a bed of pasta followed by that tasty cheese platter with bread? You can't get that in the MDR.

8) I 'm on vacation and when I cruise ( we've done 25, 10 RCI), I budget & plan for extras like drinks & specialty meals.

9) If you've EVER dined at places like Ruth Chris, Morton's, Capital Grille, you KNOW you're looking $ 150 for 2 and that's WITHOUT the romantic views of the sea.

10) My wife works very hard- so treating her to a SPECIAL, romantic dinner and spending $50 is worth it to me...and she loves the dinner!

Big Al

What I don't get is if I want 2 appy's they want to charge me extra??? I have no problem paying the extra $20 per person but if I'm in the MDR, they bring me 2 of whatever I want - no extra charge. I think in my original price of the cruise, the MDR is included with however much of whatever I want. I shouldn't have to pay extra for two appy's in the speciality restaurant if that's what I want. The fact that I'm not eating in the MDR should offset whatever the extra charge I would be - it should be a wash IMHO. I just don't get the extra, extra charge???? I mean really, how much can one person eat at one seating? And yes, I've seen what some people do in the WJ so please don't flame me.

What I don't get is if I want 2 appy's they want to charge me extra??? I have no problem paying the extra $20 per person but if I'm in the MDR, they bring me 2 of whatever I want - no extra charge. I think in my original price of the cruise, the MDR is included with however much of whatever I want. I shouldn't have to pay extra for two appy's in the speciality restaurant if that's what I want. The fact that I'm not eating in the MDR should offset whatever the extra charge I would be - it should be a wash IMHO. I just don't get the extra, extra charge???? I mean really, how much can one person eat at one seating? And yes, I've seen what some people do in the WJ so please don't flame me.

I have eaten in Chops 12 times, Portifinos 6 times, etc., and I have NEVER been charged extra for an appetizer...if you were charged, that's not good...generally, I find between the great bread & butter, salad, appetizers, entrees & dessert, usually I'm full... I NEVER eat more than 12,000 calories a day, nor more than 15 adult beverages a day... one MUST have some discipline, even on vacation!

Big Al

On the Freedom in 2008 we had traditional dining and loved it. We had all our dinners in the MDR and enjoyed our table mates.

On the Allure last year we had MyTime Dining and were a bit disappointed. We thought MyTime Dining would be exactly like traditional dining, only with new table mates each night.

We quickly learned that 99% choose MyTime Dining not only to set their own dining time but also to dine alone at tables for two.

Since we did not have the experience we had hoped for we gave the special dining venues a chance and did not regret it at all. We really enjoyed 150 Central Park, Ritas Cantina and Johnny Rockets etc. We can afford the extra cover charge and feel the experience is worth it.

Even if we were disappointed with MyTime Dining it's possible we will choose again only not to use it.

I also hope our next cruise will be a B2B so that we can have traditional dining the first week and go for the specialty dining venues the second week. :cool:

I have a bit of difficulty in understanding why you were disappointed in MTD because it wasn't always possible to share a table with others. (Did you mention to the host or hostess that you wished to dine with others?) Yet you have no problem paying a surcharge to dine by yourselves in one of the specialty restaurants. I realize that those dining venues offer a special dining experience but if socializing with your fellow passengers at dinner is important, why spend the extra money to dine alone? We usually choose My Time Dining and often do so as part of a group, either friends we are sailing with, or folks we have met on the Meet & Mingle thread or onboard the ship. I'd recommend exploring those options before giving up on My Time Dining.

I think your estimate of 99% of MTD diners wanting to sit at tables for two is pretty much an exaggeration and is not what we have seen when we have sailed with RCI.

Ok, maybe Applebee's was a bit of a stretch...lol :D

When I'm on vacation I usually forget about nit picking what I spend money on so the minimal cost to eat at a specialty restaurant is no big deal.

If I was worried about spending extra $$, I would just do all inclusive vacation. Drinks on the cruise aren't cheap either but I certainly have several of those :cool:

We never pay additional fees for food on RCL, and we are perfectly satisfied with the included choices.

Same here. Currently-My family has always been happy with MDR food and WJ. For those who don't like it-and boy there have been plenty of threads complaining about it:eek:-I think it's great for those folks that they have another option and don't mind going into the wallet!!:D

I love all of the answers. Thanks for the replys.

I realize that basically I am cheap. Granted I can spend money with the best of them on some things, but on others I will not spend money. I am guessing that alternative dining is something that I will not be paying for.

:D Love your reply!

I actually enjoy Chillies and Out Back (Applebee's not really). I like to sit at the bar and have drinks and apps.

As far as comparing these casual theme restaurants to a cruise ship's main dining room, it might be giving someone the wrong idea. There are people that come to these boards to plan their first cruise(as I once did). Why would experienced cruisers tell them that the MDR is similar to Applebee's?

I have certainly never been in an Applebee's that could even come close to comparing to the food,service or ambiance of a cruise ship MDR.:confused:

Archived