Why Falmouth instead of Costa Maya or Roatan?

jmkennett

Any ideas why Celebrity pulled out of Roatan and Costa Maya for 2014? Really enjoyed both of these places. Now, for most of 2013 and all of 2014, one of the replacements on the 7 day Western is Falmouth, Jamaica. I don't get this one. Many reviews have been terrible. My opinion and from experience, Jamaica is not a great stop. Constantly bothered by people selling stuff. Last two times there I was approached to buy drugs, at the pier in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, with my kids in tow. I don't understand this move. I get they may want to change it up, but do it with a more interesting place than Jamaica. HAL is now stopping in Guatamala. Labadee is nice on this new Western schedule, but I'd rather have an extra day at sea than Falmouth. Perhaps even Coco Cay for an extra beach day or Key West (Connie stops here). Opinions?

Any ideas why Celebrity pulled out of Roatan and Costa Maya for 2014? Really enjoyed both of these places. Now, for most of 2013 and all of 2014, one of the replacements on the 7 day Western is Falmouth, Jamaica. I don't get this one. Many reviews have been terrible. My opinion and from experience, Jamaica is not a great stop. Constantly bothered by people selling stuff. Last two times there I was approached to buy drugs, at the pier in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, with my kids in tow. I don't understand this move. I get they may want to change it up, but do it with a more interesting place than Jamaica. HAL is now stopping in Guatamala. Labadee is nice on this new Western schedule, but I'd rather have an extra day at sea than Falmouth. Perhaps even Coco Cay for an extra beach day or Key West (Connie stops here). Opinions?

Maybe Falmouth is now the destination because of the huge investment that has been done in the harbour. I agree withyou that it is not a nice place to go.

On the contrary, we have enjoyed all of our visits to Jamaica and look forward to checking out Falmouth when we are there later this year. It seems to now be in the final stages of construction and I think that more recent reviews may be more favorable. Personally I think that Jamaica gets a bad rap and we have encountered aggressive vendors on many Caribbean islands but found that a firm but pleasant 'no thank you' was all that was necessary. Perhaps our advanced ages have made us less likely to be approached by persons selling marijuana. I believe that if you do a search you will find almost as many negative reviews of both Costa Maya and Roatan, and I tend to dismiss most of the negative comments about any of the islands. If we had stayed on the ship in many of the ports that people dissed, we would have missed some great experiences over our years cruising in the Caribbean. Some people seem to think that the islands should match the sanitized view of the world that Disney World provides.

As far as popularity goes, I believe that Royal Caribbean has already decided to substitute Key West for Costa Maya on its Jewel of the Seas itineraries and indications are that the change was the result of the less than enthusiastic ratings that Costa Maya received from their passengers. No matter where they route their ships, there will always be a certain number of guests who would prefer other ports than the ones that are offered. :)

Roatan has been one our best (if not the best) cruise stop we've seen in the Caribbean. We even had to dock at the Mahogany Bay Cruise Terminal and walk out, up a hill, will 50 lbs of dive gear on our backs, but I still loved it! Jamaica is NO substitute for us!

On the contrary, we have enjoyed all of our visits to Jamaica and look forward to checking out Falmouth when we are there later this year. It seems to now be in the final stages of construction and I think that more recent reviews may be more favorable. Personally I think that Jamaica gets a bad rap and we have encountered aggressive vendors on many Caribbean islands but found that a firm but pleasant 'no thank you' was all that was necessary. Perhaps our advanced ages have made us less likely to be approached by persons selling marijuana. I believe that if you do a search you will find almost as many negative reviews of both Costa Maya and Roatan, and I tend to dismiss most of the negative comments about any of the islands. If we had stayed on the ship in many of the ports that people dissed, we would have missed some great experiences over our years cruising in the Caribbean. Some people seem to think that the islands should match the sanitized view of the world that Disney World provides.

As far as popularity goes, I believe that Royal Caribbean has already decided to substitute Key West for Costa Maya on its Jewel of the Seas itineraries and indications are that the change was the result of the less than enthusiastic ratings that Costa Maya received from their passengers. No matter where they route their ships, there will always be a certain number of guests who would prefer other ports than the ones that are offered. :)

I'm glad that you have had good stops in Jamaica. I really wish I could have a good experience in Jamaica. It is a beautiful island and many people are very friendly. I love the perceived vibe of the country. I have not been to Falmouth, so I hate to judge.

That being said, I have never encountered the constant harassing anywhere else in the Caribbean like I have in Jamaica. I've been there three times. I was in Costa Maya a few weeks ago and while there were a few people selling things on the beach (which I have no problem), a polite no would suffice. Spent several hours in the West End area of Roatan and in this little town with dirt streets, not one person tried to sell anything. Just smiles and polite hellos.

In Jamaica, the word "no" would not sink it and it would almost get very uncomfortable. Let's face it, in Ocho Rios they have to have a gated, secure shopping area (near the Hard Rock), so that you are not harrassed. Been on 42 cruise and even in some of the poorest countries in Asia, I did not encounter the problems I've had in Jamaica. I will certainly give Falmouth a try, but with three strikes, Jamaica is almost out.

I don't like the port change at all. Have been to Falmouth -- didn't feel safe outside the gated area. Maya Chan in Costa Maya is one of my favorite places that I have ever been -- had a great time in Roatan also.

I'll skip man of the RCI ships because of the port change -- how much "Labadee - Jamaica - Grand Cayman" can one person do????

Some (very few) Celebrity ships still go to Costa Maya, but you need to do the 11 day voyages --- oh, well, I guess 11 days it is.

mac_tlc

I was in both Falmouth and Montego Bay in January, one week after each other. I had decided the first week that I would stay on the ship, even before we docked. When we arrived in Falmouth I was convinced that I did not want to get off and go into the "Disney-like setting" which is not the real Jamaica. Of course there are a lot of Americans that feel right at home in this type of setting ;). The only thing it was missing was a McDonalds and a Denny's, in my mind. It was all too artificial and "mall-like" for me.

I found it offensive that this "village" was constructed just for cruise passengers, and seemed to be there just as another shopping/dining opportunity for the cruise line. I found myself wondering how much money spent in the shops goes back to the cruise line.

One gets the feeling that, to wander outside the "walls" would not be a safe decision. It's certainly encouraged that you feel this way, especially if not doing a ship-sponsored tour. I was quite content, the first week, to make it a "sea day".

The second week, while docked in Montego Bay, we ventured ashore and saw the real Jamaica. I have to say that, we saw areas not many passengers see, and that in itself was an adventure. We saw the real Jamaica of the locals - where they shop and live, and what they eat. Only twice was I a bit fearful :eek:.

I would rather have an extra sea day. We won't visit or go on cruises that stop in Jamaica. We've changed vacation weeks before to avoid the island. I'm sure that there are some great people there, but it is really homophobic (a concern for me, but not others) and their police force is notorious for turing a blind eye.

Dale

We avoid this country due to its crime problem. Whether it is unkind to homosexuals is not a problem for us. We feel as safe on this island, as we would in downtown Detroit at night.

I guess we can agree that it has a crime problem. Whether or not we agree that being "unkind" is a way to describe murder is another thread on another board.

I guess we can agree that it has a crime problem. Whether or not we agree that being "unkind" is a way to describe murder is another thread on another board.

Have you been reading another thread? I do not belive that I described murder as "unkind". As a matter of fact, the word "murder" never appeared in my post.

Bleh. Jamaica is the worst cruise stop in the Caribbean. The new western itinerary is awful. The only interesting Caribbean itineraries are Eclipse and Equinox.

I haven't done the Western Carib. other than Cozumel) but these do not like must-see stops for me either. Considering Azamara but the cabins are small....what was your experience like on the Quest?

Ugghh..everytime I think of Falmouth in my head I hear 'Foulmouth'. It was the worst city we visited while on a land trip. I remember being on a tour bus and stopping at the main intersection and looking into an abandoned building that had the windows and doors broken out and seeing that it had become a local garbage dump. It was the most unsafe I felt during the trip. Montego Bay was just about as bad, will never go to Jamaica again. If cruising I would stay on the ship.

Maya Chan in Costa Maya is one of my favorite places that I have ever been

Wasn't expecting much from Costa Maya either but we also went to Maya Chan and as you say, probably one of my favourite places. Heaven.....

People who dismiss Costa Maya don't know what they're missing. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

I was in both Falmouth and Montego Bay in January, one week after each other. I had decided the first week that I would stay on the ship, even before we docked. When we arrived in Falmouth I was convinced that I did not want to get off and go into the "Disney-like setting" which is not the real Jamaica. Of course there are a lot of Americans that feel right at home in this type of setting ;). The only thing it was missing was a McDonalds and a Denny's, in my mind. It was all too artificial and "mall-like" for me.

I found it offensive that this "village" was constructed just for cruise passengers, and seemed to be there just as another shopping/dining opportunity for the cruise line. I found myself wondering how much money spent in the shops goes back to the cruise line.

One gets the feeling that, to wander outside the "walls" would not be a safe decision. It's certainly encouraged that you feel this way, especially if not doing a ship-sponsored tour. I was quite content, the first week, to make it a "sea day".

The second week, while docked in Montego Bay, we ventured ashore and saw the real Jamaica. I have to say that, we saw areas not many passengers see, and that in itself was an adventure. We saw the real Jamaica of the locals - where they shop and live, and what they eat. Only twice was I a bit fearful :eek:.

Totally reminds us of the Grand Turk Port.

Wasn't expecting much from Costa Maya either but we also went to Maya Chan and as you say, probably one of my favourite places. Heaven.....

People who dismiss Costa Maya don't know what they're missing. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of people didn't know what they were missing and didn't like Costa Maya -- and the crusie lines reacted. That and the $$$$$$$$$$$$ invested in Falmouth.

:(

mac_tlc

Sad to lose Roatan -- could be one of our favorite stops. The snorkeling and Diving are some of the best in the Caribbean. I have nothing against Jamaica (been there four times), but it does not stack up to Roatan and Costa Maya.

Everyone needs to send an email to Celebrity expressing our disappointment!

Enjoy!

Kel

Archived