In room safe

Stardancer68

on the Magic and the Destiny in the past year, we had to input a code

having not been on carnival since 1987

my question is are the in room safes the

kind which are programed by in putting a code

or do you have to swipe a card. Thanks for any info!!

having not been on carnival since 1987

my question is are the in room safes the

kind which are programed by in putting a code

or do you have to swipe a card. Thanks for any info!!

I have always had a safe where you punch in a code.

On the Pride you swiped a card with magnetic strip.

Same on the Miracle, Victory, & Triumph. Interesting that on our Miracle cruise a few weeks back, we could only use our sign & sail card for the safe, while I seem to recall being able to use any card with a magnetic stripe on the Victory & Triumph. Could be an age-related memory thing, though... :confused:

If you just need a magnetic strip, use an old credit card and keep it in a book or

magazine. The steward won't see it, and you don't have to carry it. That's what I

always do. That way any passenger in the cabin can get into the safe.

We use a grocery store card that has a magnetic strip on the back, and leave it in the desk drawer. This way it's out of sight and if either my husband or I have to get into the safe, we can. They tell you not to use your S&S card as it can invalidate the card.

Victory, Liberty and Valor all use swipe a card. Bring a used gift card, you don't want to use your roomkey, carrying your credit card around suxs. The way I look at it is by using a used gift card if I lose it no big deal but if I where to lose my credit card what a pain in the *$$ that would be.

This might be a stupid question, but if you can use any type of magnetic strip couldn't anyone open it or is it once you swipe a card that is the only card that will open it. I have never used the safe in any place I have been all over the world.

This might be a stupid question, but if you can use any type of magnetic strip couldn't anyone open it or is it once you swipe a card that is the only card that will open it. I have never used the safe in any place I have been all over the world.

No such thing as a "stupid"question!;)

All magnetic stripes on any card carries unique information. So, the best bet is to use an outdated card. DON'T use your S&S card or your credit card, for two reasons; Your "life"is on that stripe. Second, if the safe wrecks your card, magnetically or otherwise, you will have to resolve the problem.

I hope this helps!:rolleyes:

You swipe the card to lock the safe, after it's locked that is the only card that will open the safe. If you loss you card the ship staff can break into them but I think they might charge you.

The ship staff had to break into my safe last year because the battery for the safe was dead with my stuff in it. He drilled into the door, when he opened it I removed all my stuff and he replaced the battery and door.

Archived