***Live from the Sojourn 14 Day Grand Med***

Cheerleader here!;):D

gawk strewth it's all been happening while I've been enjoying my beauty sleep!

Some people on here take things waaaay too seriously but you don't need my help ST, you have responded admirably.

By the way to those of you who don't like the postings and the fun of ST's posts, why on earth are you bothering to read the thread??????

Hope you enjoy your V5 - we had a v5 on the quest, loved it!

Hope all was well in the Kolonade with no heatons going aboot!

Now where are those Pom poms???????

It's about time you show up PA!...shheeesh had me almost thrown to the lions last night in the middle of night....that will teach me to get up to take a tickle. LOL!:eek:

Love this V5 honestly, we are booked on the first leg in Dec on Odyssey in a V2 as they had a promotion going V1's and V2's for the same price, now on the other cruise they still are not running ANY promotions and probably because it's a 32 day cruise and over Christmas and New Years as well.

Yorkiebargirl - Thanks for confirming my own suspicion that the math was a bit off, with regard to the number of days sailed. Like you, I find these whines about the cabin to be somewhat peculiar, since that is the category the OP booked as a GTY. It is seriously presumptuous to declare that one should be upgraded to a higher category than one has booked, merely because one has become a star in his own mind due to a lot of hits on a cruise blog. It's disappointing that SB HQ in Seattle is surrendering to such a ploy.

However, this may be a lesson to all of us who would like free upgrades on SB - make lots of noise on CC and establish of a clique of cheerleaders. Seems sort of like high school; but if it gets one a better cabin, why not? Hmm, some of the rest of us might be content to book the cabin class in which we wish to cruise and simply leave it at that. Not as dramatic; but it requires a lot less posting on CC.

Let me first declare that I am not a Seabourntraveller acolyte. But like many , many others I read his/her very informative posts with interest. Particularly as we depart on the Quest in a few days. And as many will know there is direct read across between the two ships.

As to "guarantee" cabins and upgrades in this particular case, could I respectfully ask that you look at the facts as thay appear to me. ST was allocated a suite that turned out to be unbearably noisy due the close proximity of thrusters and the anchor. The Seabourn literature is silent on the fact that this an issue with this cabin. ST asked to be moved. To facilitate this she emailed Seabourn. She was moved. ST is a satisfied customer and it cost Seabourn nothing.

Nothing to do with " cheerleading" or posting on CC. Would that CC could influence Seabourn; but there is no evidence we can - just look at the smoking issue.

End

Just found your blog and have enjoyed reading it very much. We are joining you on the Sojourn in Civitavecchia on the 20th - I'm currently changing my packing plans to include thermals! Hoping the weather and the stormy seas improve.

This will be our 3rd SB cruise, we've done Odyssey and Pride before. Looking forward to being back on one of the larger ships, we like the pool and were dissappointed with the Pride's bathtub. Hope we get the weather to enjoy the pool on Sojourn.

Maybe we'll see you around.....

DottieD

Just found your blog and have enjoyed reading it very much. We are joining you on the Sojourn in Civitavecchia on the 20th - I'm currently changing my packing plans to include thermals! Hoping the weather and the stormy seas improve.

This will be our 3rd SB cruise, we've done Odyssey and Pride before. Looking forward to being back on one of the larger ships, we like the pool and were dissappointed with the Pride's bathtub. Hope we get the weather to enjoy the pool on Sojourn.

Maybe we'll see you around.....

DottieD

Greetings DottieD, the long range weather forecast looks to be a lot better on the next leg of this cruise....glad you are joining the Sojourn...you will really enjoy her. The Crew is AMAZING, the food is some of the best we have had at sea on any Seabourn Ship, the current wine list is a little limited but perhaps it may get updated in Civitavecchia but for the most part there are some very decent bottles to be had.

The stormy seas should all be behind us all since we are not re-crossing the Bay of Lyon again on the next cruise. Stay warm in the meantime and see you onboard soon!;)

Hi,

On the Legend your house band was "Seabreeze with Joanna Santiago" the same as when we were on last August. Is there a similar band onboard the Sojourn?

Hello billichka;

On the Sojourn it's called the Sojourn Orchestra with Ria. The Orchestra onboard here doesn't have a name like we did on the Legend. BTW, the Legend will be at the same pier as us in Civitavecchia. We plan to walk up to the ship's gangway to see if we recognize any crew members from Dec/Jan cruise and say a quick hello.

We just returned from having lunch in the Colonnade and had a dish that I so loved on the Legend, Angel Hair Pasta in Cream Cheese Sauce with Salmon....divine and to die for again. MARIANH, I tried your Arrowood Merlot, but have to say it's not to my personal liking maybe you will enjoy it more than I did or maybe I shouldn't have tried it with the Pasta and Creamy Salmon?

It has been raining off and on all day with torrential rains here in Portovenere. I would say it's still worth while going out as Portovenere is not commercial as Portofino is with decals, mugs, plate & t-shirts all with Portofino. It is a very small island to say the least and walking up to the Castle gates is worth while. Just make sure they are opening the gates when you are visiting....today they didn't feel like opening them but as he said maybe tomorrow...we'll see.....ehh welcome to Italy! Think of very old but not too delapidated and run down ...but old as in old world charm.

We are extremely close to shore and can't help thinking how close the Costa Concordia must of been to the shoreline when it had it's unfaithful mishap off the Italian Coastline.

There are many mussel farms very nearby the ship whereby they cultivate them year round.

Me thinks it's time to head down to Seabourn Square for a Mokaccino and something sweat.

The Wifi I must say is a hell of a lot faster here midship on Deck 6 then on Deck 4 where we were previously.

More to come later this afternoon from the Sojourn here in Portovenere, Italy.

We just returned from having lunch in the Colonnade and had a dish that I so loved on the Legend, Angel Hair Pasta in Cream Cheese Sauce with Salmon....divine and to die for again. MARIANH, I tried your Arrowood Merlot, but have to say it's not to my personal liking maybe you will enjoy it more than I did or maybe I shouldn't have tried it with the Pasta and Creamy Salmon?

Many thanks for the use of your palate in the interests of science.

As I recall, the Arrowood was very robust and so drinking with creamy salmon would not be a good pairing; but thanks again for being brave and trying. I will give it a go with a rich meaty dish on the Quest. But above all, I hope they have the alghieri ( was it Masi by the way?).

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Regards

I like many others find your "guarantee" problem ludicrous! I have suffered in a bad guarantee with the anchor because it is what I purchased.

Also, please do watch what you say it really is offensive to many of us. We were all silent, you will note, until you had your tantrum about your room! You are not funny and you have become more and more offensive!

MarianH

Interesting word - acolyte - surprised no-one has taken offence at it as seems every little comment today is upsetting someone!!! ;):)

Quote:As to "guarantee" cabins and upgrades in this particular case, could I respectfully ask that you look at the facts as thay appear to me. ST was allocated a suite that turned out to be unbearably noisy due the close proximity of thrusters and the anchor. The Seabourn literature is silent on the fact that this an issue with this cabin. ST asked to be moved. To facilitate this she emailed Seabourn. She was moved. ST is a satisfied customer and it cost Seabourn nothing.End quote

Mr M - Quite, my take exactly - and lets face it, I'm sure most people reading this will have been in an hotel room and not been happy and asked for a change, and sometimes been given a higher grade room - or simply been given a higher grade room without paying any upsell rate on check in, and had a pleasant surprise! So why the fuss today because ST is on a ship??? My understanding of a GTY is that it would not have been outwith the realm of possibility that ST may even have been given a Penthouse or higher if that had been the only alternative left! So I dread to think how spiteful some would have been if that had been the case! :rolleyes:

Quote: Nothing to do with " cheerleading" or posting on CC. Would that CC could influence Seabourn; but there is no evidence we can - just look at the smoking issue.endquote

And right again Mr M - and perfect example quoted.

Having sorted out the Pom poms, I headed off out and come back to find woes of shock, horror, and offence - I must be reading all these posts with a different pair of eyes - oh yes I am! - I have a life - and can enjoy this thread without being "shocked", feeling "horrified" or taking "offence".

If some of you really want to be shocked, horrified or offended, have a real hard look at some of the things going on in this big, ugly world of ours, and then come back here, put it all into perspective and stop moaning!

Now ST - how is your day going - I do so hope you are having fun and maybe some Grandma Cake:p?? Oh and one more thing, I do think if people insist on correcting your spelling, I do so wish they would do it correctly! ;):D

As I recall, the Arrowood was very robust and so drinking with creamy salmon would not be a good pairing; but thanks again for being brave and trying. I will give it a go with a rich meaty dish on the Quest. But above all, I hope they have the alghieri ( was it Masi by the way?).

Regards

It was indeed MASI and DELICIOUS!

I like many others find your "guarantee" problem ludicrous! I have suffered in a bad guarantee with the anchor because it is what I purchased.

I did NOT purchase an anchor, I purhcased a GTY in a CAT A...big difference. Sorry if you were not vocal enough in your past dealings with whatever cruiseline to simply ask to be moved.:rolleyes:

Ask and perhaps you shall receive or stay quiet and put up with it. You obviously chose to do the latter.

Regards

I knew it. I think I will retry the Arrowood Merlot with a nice Veal Chop and/or Filet Mignon...I'll let you know when I do and give you a second opinion/taste test.;)

YORKIEBARGIRL and DOCJAMES..... I concur. I have been following this with interest, since I am leaving for my first Seabourn cruise in 2 weeks. Much of the information is appreciated. I congratulate Seaboruntraveller on his/her tenacity in getting what he/she wants and expects, but find the general tone of these postings to be somewhat entitled. I was offered a possible upgrade from V5 by my TA at the time I booked; I declined and that was the end of it.

And that referral early on to a "Jewish divorce lawyer" onboard is more than a little offensive where I come from, which is, of course, the northeast USA, where careless talk like this is looked on with alarm at ALL social gatherings, from student right on up to the state house. I recognize ST's desire to be humorous, but the couple having an argument on the occasion of their 30th anniversary should not be an object of such scorn.

Seabourntraveller statement:I am sure a good jewish lawyer onboard will be handling the divorce proceedings before this cruise is over.

You get up in the middle of the night to go and take a leak and this is what you find on here? Give me a break woman! I am not anti-semitic!

The referrence I made was benine to the fact that there was a jewish speaking couple that was near us at the time also listening in on the antics.

This statement that Seabourntraveller made is offensive no matter where one lives...plain and simple.

Saying "A jewish speaking couple" borders on ignorance.

Keep religion off the boards. People can read between the lines.

MarianH

Interesting word - acolyte - surprised no-one has taken offence at it as seems every little comment today is upsetting someone!!! ;):)

Now ST - how is your day going - I do so hope you are having fun and maybe some Grandma Cake:p?? Oh and one more thing, I do think if people insist on correcting your spelling, I do so wish they would do it correctly! ;):D

Thank you for asking fairbourne A.K.A. P.A., headed up to the Afternoon Tea and had 2 scrumptious scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam...my goodness how two such simple things can taste so heavenly!

The room was packed by 4:15pm as today is grey, overcast and showery all day and I guess everyone wanted a good cup of tea. The GrandMa cake is getting old and tired since I can have it in seabourn Square EVERY morning and I do with my Coffee.

Nah, I over the background "White Noise" about the spelling, ludicrous cabin change, etc....to each his own, as long as you say it with respect the rest doesn't matter to me.

It's a shame today was not a warmer day/sunnier day as I look over over my verandah, the water is aquamarine blue, like I mean AQUA AQUA and surprisingly clear even with a rough and strong current we have going on today.

Getting Ready to Set Sail for Portoferraio, Elba, Italy; 6:00pm

As we wait for the last tender boat coming back to the ship we are making final preparations before setting sail for Portoferraio, Elba, Italy. The weather looks to be much the same in the past couple of nights wth the winds picking up and white caps can be spotted all around us. We only have 97.5 NM until we arrive tomorrow morning in Portoferraio, Italy and will be travelling at a speed of 9 knots approx. in order to reach our destination by 8:00am tomorrow.

Captain Elliott is calling for more showers overnight and hopefully sunny skies tomorrow and a high of 16C or 64F.

More to come later tonight onboard the Sojourn about to set sail for Portoferraio, Italy.

Further Update from the Bridge;

Captain Elliott came over the PA to advise us all that our winds tonight will be very strong but nothing like the Bay of Lyon I imagine. We are to have 35-45 knot per hour winds from our stern pushing the ship even more and could make for some rock and roll onboard later tonight as we navigate fairly close to the Italian coastline most of the night....stay tuned I guess.

BTW, the scenery leaving Portovenere is simply breathtaking even on a cloudy and miserable day.;)

Also, please do watch what you say it really is offensive to many of us. We were all silent, you will note, until you had your tantrum about your room! You are not funny and you have become more and more offensive!

I don't see why people think if they pay for a Mazda they should get an Aston Martin. At the end of the day cruise companies have a business to run. You should get what you pay for.

I don't see why people think if they pay for a Mazda they should get an Aston Martin. At the end of the day cruise companies have a business to run. You should get what you pay for.

Well I didn't pay for an anchor Suite...so your point is Seawolf12?

In any event, it's a done deal, moved, enjoying the new cabin and what's it to you? An Aston Martin would have been receiving the Winter Garden Suite....give me a break!

I knew it. I think I will retry the Arrowood Merlot with a nice Veal Chop and/or Filet Mignon...I'll let you know when I do and give you a second opinion/taste test.;)

You may wish to have the bottle opened say an hour and rested before you imbibe.

Dinner Options Onboard This Evening;

The Restaurant

First Course

Black Pepper Sauteed Salmon, fennel, potato salad, anchovy emulsion

Pepper Seared Beef Tataki, truffled celery tagliatelle

Marinated Calamari, warm citrus vinaigrette, mesclun greens, virgin olive oil, pommes puree

Yukon Gold potato & Chorizo Potage, braised escarole

New England Clam Chowder, saffron essence

Tossed Arugula Leaves, mango, red radish, crisp onion, lemon and lime dressing

Pickled Cauliflower & Shaved Carrots, butter greens, curry raisin vinaigrette

Main Course

Pan Sauteed Mediterranean Seabass On Chinese Cabbage Ragout, green apple, onion, grain mustard beurre blanc

Butter Poached Shrimps, chorizo saffron risotto, tomato marmalade

Oven Roasted Double Cut Pork Chop, prosciutto-gruyere filling, gorgonzola, spatzle pasta, sauce charcuterie

English Cut roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, sauteed vegetables, truffled duschese potatoes, jus natural

Vegetarian- Morel & Swiss Chard Risotto, parmesan, chives, mushroom reduction

Restaurant 2;

Chef's Cocktail; Poached Shrimp Martini Balsamic Jelly, Split Saffron Vinaigrette

Foie Gras Creme Brulee, Syrah Honey Syrup

Crisp Duck Confit Filo, Navy Bean Cassoulet

Smoked Duck Carpaccio, Foie Gras Terrine, Arugula

Lobster & Lemongrass Presse, Lobster Herb Ravioli

Shellfish Cappuccino, Seared Beef Crostini, Ginger Jello

Roasted Dorade, Forked Potatoes, Braised Leek Ragout, Smoked Bacon Jus

Pan Seared Quail Breast, Porcini Risotto, Port Wine Reduction

White Chocolate Mousse, Plums & Almond Foam, Pistachio Cracker, Passion Fruit Sorbet

The Colonnade-Mediterranean

APPETIZERS

Grilled Shrimp, Roasted Tomato

Goat Cheese Tian, Asparagus, Dijon Vinaigrette

or

Tuscan Style White Bean & Vegetable Soup

Meat Balls, Escarole, Garlic Croutons

or

Spring Chicken Cassoulet "En Croute"

Creamy Forest Mushrooms, Truffle, Fresh Tarragon

MAIN COURSE

Pan Seared Filet of Dorade

Warm Nicioise Style Salad, Crisp Giant Capers, Black Olives

or

Roast Rack of Lamb Provencale

Gratin Potatoes, Ratatouille, Sweet Carlic Rosemary Jus

DESSERTS

Milk Chocolate & Coffee Mouse

Hazelnut Cookie

or

Port Poached Pears

Lemon Sherbert, White Chocolate Biscotti

PATIO GRILL- CHOP HOUSE

APPETIZERS (from THE BUFFET)

Arugual and Watermelon Salad

Prawn Cocktail with Horseradich CReam

Marinated White Anchoives

Air Dried Beef, Pickled Vegetables

PIZZA (FROM THE BUFFET)

Parma , Brie and Carciofi

Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Brie Cheese, Artichokes, Prosciutto

PASTA

Pappadelle with Braised Short Rib

English Peas, Cipolini Onions, Cherry Tomatoes

Parmigiano-Reggiano

FROM THE GRILL

Beffy Cowboy Steak 16 oz

Veal Chop 12 oz

Single Bone Lamb Chops 20oz

Fresh Salmon Cotelette 10oz

Sidings

Mixed Vegetables, Sauteed Spinach, Truffled French Fries

Sauces

Bernaise, Peppercorn, Garlic Butter

DESSERTS (FROM THE BUFFET)

Assorted Cheese Plate

Chocolate Pot de Creme

Mango Tartelette

Fresh Fruits

Ice Cream & Sorbet

I believe that in this case, a Mazda saloon was purchased and it was upgraded to a Mazda stationwagon. It cost Seabourn nothing and left a customer satisfied and grateful. Now that's business:)

And you may wish to be aware that there is precedent on Seabourn for the occupant of a lowly cabin to be upgraded to the Owner's suite. Now that's from a Mini to a Rolls Royce. I believe the recipient was thrilled. I guess he would cruise with Seabourn again. No names, no packdrill.

I believe that in this case, a Mazda saloon was purchased and it was upgraded to a Mazda stationwagon. It cost Seabourn nothing and left a customer satisfied and grateful. Now that's business:)

And you may wish to be aware that there is precedent on Seabourn for the occupant of a lowly cabin to be upgraded to the Owner's suite. Now that's from a Mini to a Rolls Royce. I believe the recipient was thrilled. I guess he would cruise with Seabourn again. No names, no packdrill.

Words of Wisdom as usual Mr M. :) I remember well the upgrade tale - and I remember also thinking fantastic, without any thoughts of jealousy whatsoever! We were lucky enough to be given a FOC upgrade at a very well known Scottish golf hotel a few weeks back and guess what, the DH is taking me back for my birthday, booking of course the exact type of suite we got the FOC upgrade to - good business sense - of course! By the way am very impressed with your knowledge of the old vino hic hic (and I don't mean ST!!;) :D

ST - were those Cornish or Devonian cream scones????;):D

Archived