***Live from the Sojourn 14 Day Grand Med***

Words of Wisdom as usual Mr M. :) I remember well the upgrade tale - and I remember also thinking fantastic, without any thoughts of jealousy whatsoever! We were lucky enough to be given a FOC upgrade at a very well known Scottish golf hotel a few weeks back and guess what, the DH is taking me back for my birthday, booking of course the exact type of suite we got the FOC upgrade to - good business sense - of course! By the way am very impressed with your knowledge of the old vino hic hic (and I don't mean ST!!;) :D

ST - were those Cornish or Devonian cream scones????;):D

I don't remember that tale....please do tell us all on how some pour mortal outbeat poor little old me from the Seaweed deck/Anchor Suite to a V5?

And did the Company try and attempt to double dip their revenue and let's say get a little GREEDY perhaps and try and charge for the upgrade even though the paxs had already paid the cabin in full and left the ship after 3 days due to an emergency knowing very well they wouldn't have to give them a refund?

BTW, the scones were Devonian I do believe.

Update on Sea Conditions Tonight

It's been a little over 1.5 hours since we left Portvenere and the sea conditions have worsened just as Captain Elliott said they would. We currently are moving at 9 knots but with the 9 foot sea swells the ship is tossing and turning from side to side....not a night to be ordering consomme I should think.

The winds have also picked up and now the sun is trying to peak itself out from the ominous looking clouds.

The menu in the Patio Grill looks to be interesting but I would think that one would need an electric blanket to have a meal by the pool tonight. I doubt they will open it as scheduled at 7:30pm if this weather keeps up.

Looks like the Colonnade with it's Mediterranean selection might be a runner up for tonight.

More to come from the Sojourn enroute for Portoferraio, Italy.

I don't remember that tale....please do tell us all on how some pour mortal outbeat poor little old me from the Seaweed deck/Anchor Suite to a V5?

And did the Company try and attempt to double dip their revenue and let's say get a little GREEDY perhaps and try and charge for the upgrade even though the paxs had already paid the cabin in full and left the ship after 3 days due to an emergency knowing very well they wouldn't have to give them a refund?

BTW, the scones were Devonian I do believe.

Well from what I recall and it may not be the same tale from Mr M, someone was in the (adjoining) suite to the Wintergarten suite and because the WS was empty, they moved them in there! Now that would be a tough call for future cruising! LOL! Anyway, you did well with your move - say no more methinks!

Have you tried any spa treatments yet? With all that OBC, think you need to indulge! :eek:

Pompoms retired for the evening as off to make our supper - sadly no SB chef handy for us!

Well from what I recall and it may not be the same tale from Mr M, someone was in the (adjoining) suite to the Wintergarten suite and because the WS was empty, they moved them in there! Now that would be a tough call for future cruising! LOL! Anyway, you did well with your move - say no more methinks!

Have you tried any spa treatments yet? With all that OBC, think you need to indulge! :eek:

Pompoms retired for the evening as off to make our supper - sadly no SB chef handy for us!

Wintergarden Suite upgrade....Ohhhh how scandulous!...you don't say?

You know considering there is $1250.00 still left over, a bad boy beauty makeover is defenitely in the cards one day on this cruise for me for sure, along with a scalp treatment and haircut and massage....a FULL OVERHAUL!

We'll going to ring up the Desk to see if the Patio Grill is open or not or maybe I can just stroll up two decks in my 3 sizes too small bath robe and SBN slippers and check it out me self!:eek:

I don't remember that tale....

Not a Wintergarden wonder.

You don't need the Freedom of Information Act ( or the US equivalent) to extract the information. But you do need to trawl/ search the CC threads.

Unless of course the lucky recipent cares to share his joy again;) It would be safe ( hint)

You know considering there is $1250.00 still left over, a bad boy beauty makeover is defenitely in the cards one day on this cruise for me for sure, along with a scalp treatment and haircut and massage....a FULL OVERHAUL!

!

And an opportunity to buy a bottle of Amarone to celebrate Italy on the horizon?

Decant at least two hours before and make sure you get the big glasses. Sorry couldn't resist:D

And an opportunity to buy a bottle of Amarone to celebrate Italy on the horizon?

Decant at least two hours before and make sure you get the big glasses. Sorry couldn't resist:D

I would prefer a bottle of Brunello di Montalccino in big glasses on our balcony weather permitting of course.:D

I would prefer a bottle of Brunello di Montalccino in big glasses on our balcony weather permitting of course.:D

Be bold - go for broke and have one of each. And report back - please,please:D If you are able of course;)

Update on Power Outage Today;

We still have not been given any explanation what happened this morning (although we were promised to be given an explanation) when the Sojourn lost complete power and had a black-out for well over 3 minutes. Most systems have been restored fully since then, and the Satelite TV system just came back up now some 12+ hours. The AC is working back to normal as well but took several hours to get it back online in all areas.

Ohh well as long as it doesn't go POOF again while I am in the shower.:eek:

FYI, they did close down the Patio Grill tonight due to the inclement weather we have been having and rough seas...water was overflowing from the pool and whirpools onto the deck areas.

Further Evening Update on Ship Movement;

My lord are we moving tonight as the ship is being tossed from side to side. We currently have beaufort force 8 winds and 45 knot per hour winds that is hitting the bow of the ship this tossing us and jerking the ship from side to side.

Poor Room Service people are being hit and KILLED again tonight with an overload of orders due to people staying in their cabins. The ship is a virtual ghost town tonight with hardly anyone out for the show that just finished, Seabourn Square is empty, so is the Club and we are going to check the Observation Bar which I am sure is dead because of it's location so far up and far forward.

More to come later this evening from the Sojourn being tossed around like a little rubber ducky in the Ligurian Sea off the Coastline of Italy tonight.

LEESSRE:

I have NEVER heard of someone being downgraded below a paid CAT such as you have as a V1.

This defenitely REAKS of HAL's involvement within Seabourn!

Now I am really getting nervous. Because Seabourn/ Silversea did not have a suitable itinerary in the Caribean this November ( what's going on?) we were forced to look elsewhere. With strong reservations, I bit the bullet and booked on the Westerdam ( great itinerary). We selected a top end SA de luxe Verandah ( on the basis it's not Seabourn; but still looks pretty damn nice - large suite, butler, dedicated lounge etc); but could only secure a Guarantee reservation. I will post on the HAL site for advice; but does anyone on this site know if it is HAL's normal practice to renage on a contract and downgrade?

Now I am really getting nervous. Because Seabourn/ Silversea did not have a suitable itinerary in the Caribean this November, we were forced to look elsewhere. With great reservations, I bit the bullet and booked on the Westerdam ( great itinerary). We selected a topend SA de luxe Verandah ( on the basis it's not Seabourn; but still looks pretty damn nice) but could only secure a Guarantee reservation. I will post on the HAL site for advice; but does anyone on this site know if it is HAL's normal practice to renage and downgrade?

MARIANH I have NEVER heard of ANY cruiseline Downgrading especially once a cabin assignment has been made not once but twice in LEESRE case. I have to believe LEESRE case is an isolated case, otherwise the whole GTY and being Guaranteed that you will receive at the last CAT you paid for goes out the window.

BTW, an SA is a beautiful cabin on HAL and hopefully because they are only offering a GTY you might get upgraded maybe to the Penthouse just like the WinterGarden Suite person had happent to them on Seabourn.

Now I am really getting nervous. Because Seabourn/ Silversea did not have a suitable itinerary in the Caribean this November ( what's going on?) we were forced to look elsewhere. With strong reservations, I bit the bullet and booked on the Westerdam ( great itinerary). We selected a top end SA de luxe Verandah ( on the basis it's not Seabourn; but still looks pretty damn nice - large suite, butler, dedicated lounge etc); but could only secure a Guarantee reservation. I will post on the HAL site for advice; but does anyone on this site know if it is HAL's normal practice to renage on a contract and downgrade?

Not to hijack this thread, but wil respond to this post. I have sailed many many times in a SA deluxe verandah suite. You will NOT be downgraded, as the fare is usually DOUBLE what the next category down is- not just a few 100 dollars..

Host Dan

Not to hijack this thread, but wil respond to this post. I have sailed many many times in a SA deluxe verandah suite. You will NOT be downgraded, as the fare is usually DOUBLE what the next category down is- not just a few 100 dollars..

Host Dan

Many thanks for the reassurance. Feeling a bit better now ( I think:)

Not a Wintergarden wonder.

You don't need the Freedom of Information Act ( or the US equivalent) to extract the information. But you do need to trawl/ search the CC threads.

Unless of course the lucky recipent cares to share his joy again;) It would be safe ( hint)

As I recall it involved a broken safe which took him from Deck 4 to the penthouse--it made many people consider throwing their safe off the balcony! On the other hand, one year later we were on the same sailing and he did not get an upgrade and while would have liked one he did say they had paid for A1 and that is what they got.

ST, thanks for the info on the combining of OBCs. I know the OBC our TA gives us can be cashed out, we have OBC for owning Carnival stock and I have a referral for this cruise. Hope it all comes together since there are many excursions we wish to do.

By the by, it sounds as if your new suite is one door over from the one that has been assigned to us--just showed up on My Seabourn page; had been blank since we booked a GTY.

Enjoying the posts very much.

Day 7: Portoferraio, Elba, Italy;

Good morning from Seabourn Square here onboard Sojourn making our way ever so slowly towards Portferraio, Italy. The Seas this morning are a lot more calmer than they were in past days. The skies do not look too promising at all in terms of sunshine or heat for today once again...not a day to work on the tan again!

Elba is probably best known for Napoleon being exiled there after signing the Fontainebleu Treaty and arrived iat Portoferraio on May 3, 1814 to begin his exile.

We are scheduled to dock at approx. 8:00am and departure time is set for 6:00pm. We have many people disembarking the ship tomorrow in Civitavecchia as Seabourn sells this as a 14 day cruise and also as 2 7 day cruises.

Will probably go and have a quick breakfast in the Colonnade and then head out to investigate this new port for us. I can't imagine it being that big or crowded at this time of year. Seabourn Square is quiet this morning and not a soul here, not even Kevin's regulars have arrived except for me.

More to come later today from the Sojourn about to dock shortly in a couple of hours here in Portoferraio, Italy.

Today at a Glance, Activities Onboard Sojourn;

8:00am Arrival

10:15am Crew Lifeboat Drill

12:00 noon Colonnade Opens for Lunch (Oriental)

12:30pm Patio Grill Opens for Lunch (Mixed Grill)

12:30pm Restaurant is Closed for Lunch

2:00pm Unhosted Social Bridge Play, Card Room Deck 7

3:30pm Gold Putting Enthusiasts, The Retreat, Deck 11

4:00-5:00pm Afternoon Tea Time and Piano Melodies, Observation Bar Deck 10

4:30pm Galley Tour With Executive Chef Niels, The restaurant Deck 4

5:00pm Sojourn Final Team Trivia Challenge, The Club Deck 5

5:00pm Friends of Bill W. Meet, Conference Room #1, Deck 5

5:30pm All Abord as Sojourn prepares to set sail

5:30pm Caviar Sail Away Social, Pool Side Deck 8 & 9

6:00pm Departure , Sojourn sails for Civitavecchia, Italy

Evening Activities Onboard Sojourn:

Tonight's Attire: Resort Casual

6:30pm Panoramic Piano Moods with Pierre, Observation Bar, Deck 10

6:30pm-8:00pm Club Coctails, The Club Deck 5

6:45pm Pre-Dinner Variety Showtime: Our Two Marty's: Marty Brill & Marty Henne, Grand Salon, Deck 6

9:00pm Evening Melodies with Guitarist Michael Liebler, The Club Deck 5

9:30pm Smooth Melodies with Pierre, Observtion Bar, Deck 10

9:45pm Farewell Social Night, The Club Deck 5

9:45pm Popcorn Movie: "Horrible Bosses", Grand Salon, Deck 6

After Breakfast Update;

Just finished breakfast now in the Colonnade, and it was fairly quiet outside and inside this morning...not the usual ZOO! Light breakfast today with two poached eggs on dry brown toast and a large orange juice and a triple espresso. The weather has improved greatly here this morning in Porto Ferraio and we are currently sitting at 16C or 64F and under partly sunny skies...so maybe there is hope for tanning later today.

One thing I just discovered is because they sell this cruise as two 7 day cruises as well as 1 14 day cruise there is no Galley Market Lunch on any of these cruises which is a disappointment as we really enjoy the Market Lunch.

The Legend will be in with us as mentioned before tomorrow in Civitavecchia and we are looking forward to seeing many familiar faces from our 44 day previous adventure. They are calling for a nice day weather wise in Civitavecchia tomorrow under sunny skies and a high of 18C.

More to come later today from the Sojourn in Porto Ferraio, Italy.

After Breakfast Update;

Just finished breakfast now in the Colonnade, and it was fairly quiet outside and inside this morning...not the usual ZOO! Light breakfast today with two poached eggs on dry brown toast and a large orange juice and a triple espresso. The weather has improved greatly here this morning in Porto Ferraio and we are currently sitting at 16C or 64F and under partly sunny skies...so maybe there is hope for tanning later today.

One thing I just discovered is because they sell this cruise as two 7 day cruises as well as 1 14 day cruise there is no Galley Market Lunch on any of these cruises which is a disappointment as we really enjoy the Market Lunch.

The Legend will be in with us as mentioned before tomorrow in Civitavecchia and we are looking forward to seeing many familiar faces from our 44 day previous adventure. They are calling for a nice day weather wise in Civitavecchia tomorrow under sunny skies and a high of 18C.

More to come later today from the Sojourn in Porto Ferraio, Italy.

Thanks for the update ST, we've just checked in on-line for our flight from London. Hopefully we'll bring sunny skies with us tomorrow. Glad to see our favourite NZ white, Wingspan on the wine list - it was in short supply on our last cruise!

Off to start our packing, hope you have a lovely day in Elba and a more restful night.

DottieD

Thanks for the update ST, we've just checked in on-line for our flight from London. Hopefully we'll bring sunny skies with us tomorrow. Glad to see our favourite NZ white, Wingspan on the wine list - it was in short supply on our last cruise!

Off to start our packing, hope you have a lovely day in Elba and a more restful night.

DottieD

Safe travels DottieD and yes bring warmer weather would you or an extra pair woolies!:eek::D:eek:

Good morning ST and to all lovely new "lurkers" and of course Mr M!

Hope you have an interesting day on Elba and look forward to reading all your news later. That's a shame about the market lunch ... We loved it as well and I always like meeting the Chefs and seeing them making the wonderful creations they serve us.

You haven't mentioned the breadsticks yet, I take it they are up to their usual standard! :D

DottieD

Yes, the Wingspan from Nelson ,whilst not being a " top notch" SB is eminently gluggable - especially with the sun on your back - here's hoping.:)

And ST , Wingspan also do a drinkable Pinot Noir at a similar price point to the SB. Any chance the ship has a bottle or two tucked away somewhere?

Archived